Why Gruden was fired...

Alphadawg7

The Bucs lost because Kiffin wasn't around. If he'd been fired, he wouldn't have been around either, and they still would have lost. And Gruden still would have been fired.

I think that Kiffin decided to leave the Bucs because he couldn't stand Gruden. What I want to know is, had he known that Gruden would get fired, would he have stayed and possibly been promoted to HC? Or was he told that Gruden wouldn't be back, but that he wasn't a HC'ing candidate anyway?

I am sure Kiffin had no idea, I mean the staff just hired a lions coordinator 2 hours before being told they canned GM and Gruden, so sounds like everyone was in the dark. Also, when Kiffin took that job, the Bucs were in first place, so I am sure at that point there was little reason for Kiffin to believe Gruden would be fired.

However, that's a good question...would he have left if he knew Gruden was going to be canned...I don't thinks, I think he stays if would have had some insight that Gruden was going to be gone.

There is a BIG difference in players complaining about how hard training camp is and players flat out NOT TRUSTING the coach and believing they can win with him. What Bucs players have said, past and present, is that Gruden has lost them. I don't care if the HC is Bill Walsh, if the players do not buy into him and trust what he is doing he will never lead them anywhere.

In NY, the players complained about intensity and the rules, but they also respected the coach and bought into his system as time moved on. There was an adjustment period, but they adapted. Gruden had been in TB for 7 years...he lost the players, constantly mismanaged his QB, RB, and WR's on that team, would say one thing than do another, etc, etc. It's not like he was new in TB, he had been there 7 years and wore out his welcome and lost the trust of his team. That is, and always will be, the death of a HC at any level of coaching...losing the trust of your players.

He lost the players because he let the defense go into the tank the last 4 games. The DC didn't care about winning games because he was leaving and should have been replaced as soon as he announced he was leaving.I think the most telling loss was to the inept Raiders,not to mention the 299 yards they gave up ON THE GROUND to the Panthers on Mon night.

Gruden was the offensive wizard and it appears he put way to much trust in Monte Kiffin, who really let him and the team down.

You honestly think if the Buc's had made the playoffs the owners would listen to the players and still fire him?

BTW, the team also fired and replaced the GM, and now Morris has fired most of the remaining staff. Complain all you want about Gruden, the fact remains he is way better then any coach the Bills have had in a great while!

He lost the players because he let the defense go into the tank the last 4 games. The DC didn't care about winning games because he was leaving and should have been replaced as soon as he announced he was leaving.I think the most telling loss was to the inept Raiders,not to mention the 299 yards they gave up ON THE GROUND to the Panthers on Mon night.

Gruden was the offensive wizard and it appears he put way to much trust in Monte Kiffin, who really let him and the team down.

You honestly think if the Buc's had made the playoffs the owners would listen to the players and still fire him?

BTW, the team also fired and replaced the GM, and now Morris has fired most of the remaining staff. Complain all you want about Gruden, the fact remains he is way better then any coach the Bills have had in a great while!

First off, Kiffin is too proud and too close to the players on that D to have intentionally let it go. Truth was, it was overachieving prior to the decline in my opinnion.

And Gruden lost his players long before that anyway, so thats a mute point.

Lets not forget that this is the same team that fired Tony Dungy in the first place,did he lose the players also? :huh:

The Buc's have basically cleaned the entire staff out and want to start over,its my take that they took a long hard look at Atlanta and what they achieved this season with a new HC and GM and decided they wanted to do the same thing, retool the coaching staff and GM. Time will tell on whether this is a good move or not.

To other posters stating Kiffin couldn't stand Gruden is pure idiotic speculation,they worked together for 6 years. If he really didn't like the guy then why work for him for so long? The real reason he left the Buccaneers was because he was going to work for his son, Lane Kiffin at Tenn.It was well know that previous to last season Lane Kiffen wanted to fire Rob Ryan, the Raiders DC, and replace him with his dad Monte Kiffin, Al davis refused to let him do so.

I'm also fairly certain that if the Buc's had actually wanted to hire Monte Kiffin as head coach of the Buc's,they would have.