Kawika Mitchell - Good FA pick up or not?

BuffaloBill

I'm not sure he was better than Poz. Problem I have in evaluating any of these guys is that Tampa - suck defense minimizes LB play and abilities especially the middle LB.

I don't see that as being the case. Urlacher MLB.....other good LBs(pro-bowls) for the T2.....Briggs, Brooks, June, Quarles, Nickerson.

LBs who play behind good DLs seem to be able to shine better than those that don't.....regardless of scheme.

I don't see that as being the case. Urlacher MLB.....other good LBs(pro-bowls) for the T2.....Briggs, Brooks, June, Quarles, Nickerson.

LBs who play behind good DLs seem to be able to shine better than those that don't.....regardless of scheme.

Point taken. Perhaps the issue is the lack of talent on the Bills squad.

Well he won the Bolts game for us, so he got us at least one additional win...lol.

I think he was a good pickup and he was more effective before Schobel went down. The impact of not having Schobel allowed teams to key on Stroud which made the interior line less effective, which then makes life much harder on our LB's as well.

I am glad he is a bill, he's a smart player, plays hard, and we are better team with him on it.

I will second that.

When we signed him, Giants fans told me he was a great pickup. And we got him for what...3 mil a year? I also figured that he didn't have to be any better than our third best LB (Poz and Crowell). I think the absence of Crow hurt him, and obviously the rest of the D.

He also seems to be a hot/cold player. When he's hot (KC, Denver, Jax), yeah he was unstoppable. But he did have some terrible games, terrible quarters, and terrible plays where he over committed, missed his assignment, or just had a poor tackle.

I think he'll be a better player with another year in the system, Poz having another year, and hopefully an upgrade in our LB corps so that he can go back to his original role of being the third best LB.

That is the coaching and scheme we play in Buffalo... when the defense is good, and has the right mathcup, they can look surprisingly good. When the scheme isn't perfect, our defense just looks stupid, as do the coaches. Ryan Denney running 15 yards downfield to drop into pass coverage, and getting burned, again, in key situations. Mithchell looked like the second coming of Cornelius Bennett some weeks (agressive, big plays, closest thing to a pass rushing LB we had) and then like Eddie Robinson the next (you know, slow and pathetic)... have I mentioned before, I loathe the defense that we have in Buffalo... without the right players, it sucks... plain and simple. Buffalo does not have the right players, and it seems that more and more teams are figuring out that this Tampa 2 defense is hard to staff... get rid of it!

I started a thread a few months ago commenting on how slow Mitchell looked at times. He seemed to whiff on a lot of tackles.

But as others have said, he looked better blitzing than playing in coverage.

I think he's an average player, not an elite one. It would be nice to have at least one stud at every level of the defense--line, LB, and secondary. We have mostly average players at those spots (though McKelvin has star potential).

id say stroud is above average, so is a healthy crowell, as well as mcgee

I thought he was a good but not great pick up in the offseason last year. I would describe him as a solid starter and an upgrade for the Bills (not saying much) but not a game changer. He was really only an impact player in the Bolts game. I'm curious to hear what others think about him.

Great pickup.

Single-handedly saved us from 2-3 losses. How many other Bills defenders can you say the same for?

For a while there he seemed to be the only difference maker on that squad.

- R

I think he was an excellent pickup. Great attitude, can be a game changer with big plays, and does his talking on the field. He might not of had the numbers he put up last year, but he had so much more help around him on the Giants than here. If we could find another just like him for the other side, we woudln't even want to consider bringing Crowell back.