Watching The Playoffs...

CJPearl2

Special team are more important that you seem to give them credit for (at least judging by this post). A great punter, and coverage team helps control field position, as does a good return team. The FG unit, needless to say, decides many games in the NFL. As for the "6 plays a game" comment, I trust it was partially in jest, but FYI, Special Teams make up about 17% (sometimes more) of an NFL game.

i just wanted to add one more thing. While ST may only make up less than 20% of a game's plays, the individual ST play tends to be more important than the average offensive or defensive play. Even the play following a TD usually results in a point for the kicking team.

shows me how far from a good team/playoff team the Bills are. This includes coaching.

Whatever! We are not as far off as you think. Look 3 of the 4 top seeds went down which shows there isn't much seperating the elite from the rest. A few plays or bad coaching decisions here or there and we would be in the playoffs and who knows... who thought the Cards would win TWO playoff games AND go into Carolina AFTER the way they ended the regular season? If we can pick up a passrushing DE, establish an offensive identity, and stay healthy for a change we can compete. I think Edwards will improve in his 3rd year and if he learns to play against 3-4 defenses he might excel. The problem will be sticking with the run and establishing an offensive identity that isn't just run from the I formation and pass from shotgun! Also moving Lee around and keeping him involved wouldn't hurt!

just shows you what a weak middle lb poz is, he wouldn't even make the team in pittsburg, playing inside or outside

They've got Timmons basically sitting on the bench in Pittsburgh, playing ST, and coming in on certain downs--and he would probably be the best LB on our team.

But the jury still is out on Poz--I hope it all clicks for him next season.

Special team are more important that you seem to give them credit for (at least judging by this post). A great punter, and coverage team helps control field position, as does a good return team. The FG unit, needless to say, decides many games in the NFL. As for the "6 plays a game" comment, I trust it was partially in jest, but FYI, Special Teams make up about 17% (sometimes more) of an NFL game.

I definitely understand how important special teams is, dont get me wrong, but they are not on the field enough to lean on to win us games. No SB winner ever won becuase they were marginal in every other aspect of the game yet exceptional on Special Teams...

Thats all my post was saying...we dont scare anyone anywhere else...

I definitely understand how important special teams is, dont get me wrong, but they are not on the field enough to lean on to win us games. No SB winner ever won becuase they were marginal in every other aspect of the game yet exceptional on Special Teams...

Thats all my post was saying...we dont scare anyone anywhere else...

I would have to say that isn't true. I would have to examine all the SB's but, I am sure several were won by a FG (special teams) and others had to have been influenced by field position (usually special teams).

As for no team winning being marginal in every aspect except ST, that is likely true. But, how many SB winners were only dominant on one side of the ball, and marginal on the other side AND ST? Most teams need to have two of the three elements, to go very far, in the NFL playoffs.

I would have to say that isn't true. I would have to examine all the SB's but, I am sure several were won by a FG (special teams) and others had to have been influenced by field position (usually special teams).

As for no team winning being marginal in every aspect except ST, that is likely true. But, how many SB winners were only dominant on one side of the ball, and marginal on the other side AND ST? Most teams need to have two of the three elements, to go very far, in the NFL playoffs.

I didnt say a ST play has never won the SB, Many times a kicker has kicked critical FG's or even Desmond Howard wining the SB MVP. But, in those games, GB wasn't in the SB because they stunk every where but ST, they had a top Offense and solid Defense...

I simply said no team has ever won a SB because they had a superb ST and were weak on defense and weak on offense. ST compliments and helps both sides of the ball, but it CAN NOT carry a team to a SB without at least some other strong point on the team.