Another Jauron/Wilson column...

I don't think that Miami, Baltimore, or Atlanta are paying top dollar for coaches right now. Money is not the key issue. The issue is that the current decision makers cannot identify strong candidates for the coaching position. Decisions are being based on the comfort-level our ancient owner has with the current hires, without a whole lot of thought being placed upon competence.

The teams head coaches you mentioned have double the salary Dick Jauron does in Buffalo.

NFL COACHES SALARIES

http://coacheshotseat.com/SalariesNFLCoaches.htm

# Coach Name Team Age Conf/Div Compensation*

1 Mike Holmgren Seattle Seahawks 60 NFC West $8,000,000

2 Mike Shanahan Denver Broncos 56 AFC West $6,000,000

3 Jeff Fisher Tennessee Titans 50 AFC South $5,500,000

4 Lovie Smith Chicago Bears 50 NFC North $5,500,000

5 Bill Billichick New England Patriots 56 AFC East $5,000,000

6 Tony Dungy Indianapolis Colts 53 AFC South $5,000,000

7 Tom Coughlin New York Giants 62 NFC East $4,250,000

8 Jon Gruden Tampa Bay Buccaneers 45 NFC South $4,000,000

9 Andy Reid Philadelphia Eagles 50 NFC East $3,500,000

10 John Fox Carolina Panthers 53 NFC South $3,000,000

11 Gary Kubiak Houston Texans 47 AFC South $3,000,000

12 Norv Turner San Diego Chargers 49 AFC West $3,000,000

13 Sean Payton New Orleans Saints 46 NFC South $3,000,000

14 Mike Smith Atlanta Falcons 50 NFC South $3,000,000

15 Mike McCarthy Green Bay Packers 45 NFC North $3,000,000

16 Wade Phillips Dallas Cowboys 61 NFC East $3,000,000

17 Tony Sparano Miami Dolphins 48 NFC East $3,000,000

18 John Harbaugh Baltimore Ravens 47 AFC North $3,000,000

19 Jim Zorn Washington Redskins 56 NFC East $3,000,000

20 Marvin Lewis Cincinnati Bengals 50 AFC North $2,750,000

21 Mike Nolan San Francisco 49ers 49 NFC West $2,500,000

22 Eric Mangini New York Jets 37 AFC East $2,500,000

23 Ken Whisenhunt Arizona Cardinals 46 NFC West $2,500,000

24 Jack Del Rio Jacksonville Jaguars 45 AFC South $2,500,000

25 Mike Tomlin Pittsburgh Steelers 36 AFC North $2,500,000

26 Scott Linehan St. Louis Rams 44 NFC West $2,000,000

27 Herm Edwards Kansas City Chiefs 56 AFC West $2,000,000

28 Romeo Crennell Cleveland Browns 61 AFC North $1,750,000

29 Rod Marinelli Detroit Lions 55 NFC North $1,500,000

30 - Jauron Buffalo Bills 61 AFC East $1,500,000

31 Brad Childress Minnesota Vikings 52 NFC North $1,250,000

32 Lane Kiffin Oakland Raiders 33 AFC West $1,250,000

*Compensation is estimated

At this point, who cares? Jauron's the coach next season. Better make the best of it. Last I checked, the Bills had not been eliminated from the 2009 playoffs yet.

Yeah, they're mathematically still alive for a playoff spot in 2009 but they have to win a lot of games and receive some help from others to squeak in at this point.... :D:rolleyes:

everyone likes to through around Miami and Atlanta as examples of being able to turn a team around in one year. what everyone fails to realize is that the turn around for both teams started at the top, with the owner. both owners decided that they needed to change the entire culture of the team and decided to do whatever it would take to make that change. even down to their own thinking. the coaches they picked simply made sure they extended the new thinking into the locker room.

Wilson does not see himself as the problem. He does not see a problem with the culture or identity (or lack there of) of our team. He does not see a problem with the Bills organization.

therefore, no matter how many coaching changes he makes, the team will not change. he will not bring in a Cowher or Marty or even Shanahan. it will just be another Coordinator/HC-wannabe.

It's a mess...A mess that is starting to look an awful lot like a Team that is headed towards being one of those NFL "afterthought" Franchises...You know the ones...The Bungals, The Lions, The Raiders...The Teams that are there so the good Teams have someone to beat on Sunday...

im surprised that as an out-of-towner (i see youre in NC) you havent realized yet that this is EXACTLY how teams and fans already see the Bills.

my point is, in order to start winning, there needs to be a major culture change. and unfortunately, i dont see that happening.

so everyone... enjoy the team while we have them. hope for the best. and try to have a good time.

im surprised that as an out-of-towner (i see youre in NC) you havent realized yet that this is EXACTLY how teams and fans already see the Bills.

my point is, in order to start winning, there needs to be a major culture change. and unfortunately, i dont see that happening.

so everyone... enjoy the team while we have them. hope for the best. and try to have a good time.

that's why they sell beer :D

Who on earth is going to purchase season tickets when the owner is trying to drive the team to Canada, while simultaneously keeping a perpetual loser as head coach?

The only point of the article that Tyler got wrong. Never underestimate the flock of sheep that will accept, no, defend mediocrity and ask for more.

Who on earth is going to purchase season tickets when the owner is trying to drive the team to Canada, while simultaneously keeping a perpetual loser as head coach?

The only point of the article that Tyler got wrong. Never underestimate the flock of sheep that will accept, no, defend mediocrity and ask for more.

At the International Bowl yesterday I was curious at the amount of Bills signs and advertisments I saw everywhere. I think it is spot on that Ralph wants to sell this team and the only way to do that is by driving ticket sales down.