Time Warner to drop Viacom stations

Fezmid

Except for the fact that DirecTV and LIN already reached an agreement a few months before the TWC fiasco...

Are you saying that cable companies are allowed to raise their rates, but that the people who actually provide content aren't? :beer:

Lets clear this up... Yes, LIN TV agreed with DirectTV before the TW fiasco... didn't say they didn't. What I'm saying is, now that LIN showed that if you threaten to pull your channel enough people will complain and you'll get more money. TW is the first to experience this, but I believe the rest will have similar problems down the road.

As for raising rates, I think in this matter its wrong. The economy is down and these companies would rather rape the little guy instead by still increasing their profits rather than hold the status quo until the "recession" lifts. Viacom raises their rates, TW raises theirs to negate their losses and people end up playing 80 bucks a month for cable.

Also as addressed earlier, Verizon will do anything to steal customers in any of their forays. Phone, cell, internet, TV all the reps lie to make the sale. I had Verizon as my phone provider in college and they constantly lied or made a mistake on my bill. Its a verizon thing, they take advantage of the ones who don't catch it all the time.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets clear this up... Yes, LIN TV agreed with DirectTV before the TW fiasco... didn't say they didn't. What I'm saying is, now that LIN showed that if you threaten to pull your channel enough people will complain and you'll get more money. TW is the first to experience this, but I believe the rest will have similar problems down the road.

Except that LIN threatened to remove their programming from DirecTV and Dish as well... TWC is the only one who played hard ball. So the whole basis of your argument (enough people will complain) isn't really all that accurate - the other carriers knew that their customers wanted the programming.

As for raising rates, I think in this matter its wrong. The economy is down and these companies would rather rape the little guy instead by still increasing their profits rather than hold the status quo until the "recession" lifts. Viacom raises their rates, TW raises theirs to negate their losses and people end up playing 80 bucks a month for cable.

Except that, again, TW raised their rates ($3/month) BEFORE Viacom raised theirs... So either you blame both companies or you blame neither.

Also as addressed earlier, Verizon will do anything to steal customers in any of their forays. Phone, cell, internet, TV all the reps lie to make the sale. I had Verizon as my phone provider in college and they constantly lied or made a mistake on my bill. Its a verizon thing, they take advantage of the ones who don't catch it all the time.

As we all know, I'm a bigger fan of switching to DirecTV or Dish. :beer:

Too bad we can't get Earth to drop MTV. And VH1 is terrible too. No one cares about Nickelodeon. The only thing worth watching on Comedy Central is South Park and that's online.

Plus Daily Show, Colbert Report, and reruns of Futurama. However DS, CR, and SP are all available online anyways as previously stated and Futurama is available on DVD

I can accept your statements of opinion on MTV, VH1 and Comedy Central, dont share those opinions, but....what i was thanking you for was your 'absolute' statement .... "No one cares about Nick" ....I was just very surprised to read that. because i really thought I enjoyed Nickelodeon, (Spongebob, Jimmy Neutron, Fairly Odd Parents are daily staples in my TV viewing). I was pointing out how much I appreciated you telling me I was actually living a lie.....a huge weight has been lifted for me....Thanks :beer:

Again, I'm SUPER sorry that the five whole words I wrote about Nick completely ruined your day. Hopefully you're able to calm down soon after I so carelessly insulted a television channel that you enjoy.

Again, I'm SUPER sorry that the five whole words I wrote about Nick completely ruined your day. Hopefully you're able to calm down soon after I so carelessly insulted a television channel that you enjoy.

You're kinda being a jerk. Mandy Moore dump you on New Year's Eve? :beer:

:beer: Does anyone have a list of all these Viacom channels? I watch Vh1 and Spike.

Your Google broken?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viacom

Television Networks: Comedy Central, Logo, BET, Spike, TV Land, Nick at Nite, Nickelodeon, Noggin, The N, Nick Jr., TEENick, MTV, VH1, MTV2, CMT, Palladia

As of 12:15 AM, the Viacom stations are still on my Time Warner cable.

Either they reached a settlement, or my local system hasn't gotten the memo.

Did they say at 12:01 AM on January 1st?

Typically, the TV day starts at 6AM, although Nielsen ratings use a 3AM start time, if I remember correctly.

Did they say at 12:01 AM on January 1st?

Typically, the TV day starts at 6AM, although Nielsen ratings use a 3AM start time, if I remember correctly.

The article I read on Yahoo did say 12:01 AM. I can't find the link for it right now.