What I like about the Buffalo Bills

I was looking at an essay I wrote about the Buffalo Bills in college, and it pertaining to what this team means to Western New York, and all who share their lives, food and stories each Sunday with friends and strangers. It was a paper written for a sociology class, taking a look at the positive social affect this particular sports team has on our city. I'd also like to add that it was written shortly after the Scott Norwood gathering downtown after the first super bowl.

I found something very revealing in that paper - Regardless of how the team did each year, the spirit and togetherness this city has because of a common interest seemed to transcend what happened on the field year to year, and like the seasons where each spring brings optimism, each new Bills season brought hope to all invested in the team emotionally, regardless of the previous year's achievements. Winning and losing seasons seemed to linger equally the next year.

Forget the financial aspect of the franchise to the region, and it becomes clear that this team means more to its region than any other sports franchise in any other major league. So after talking to several locals at our Bills Backer bar, I discovered that even when you leave Buffalo, this team still gives you hope, and even after sitting through one of the toughest seasons in recent memory, we all still feel the same, we still all want to see the team succeed, almost more for the city of Buffalo than for ourselves. Some have even said they wanted it for the teams that came so close, or for die hard fans who are no longer with us.

That is what I love about this team. I have lived in other cities, and no sports team can hold a candle to what this team means to its fans. In Buffalo, it truly has become a way of life.

While I may not be pleased with this years results, I will live and die with them until they no longer play in WNY.

Here's to a great draft, and hope for next year.

GO BILLS.

[rolls eyes; makes universal "Drinky-Drinky" gesture with imaginary cup tilted to lips…]

;) Just kidding. I'm with ya! :angry:

haha thanks!! I like how you added some space there.. I was thinking... ouch!! until I scrolled down... :D

While I may not be pleased with this years results, I will live and die with them until they no longer play in WNY.

GO BILLS.

Nice post - i used to live in Nashvegas ... hated it ... only place i have ever lived that i will not go back to. Move east Knoxville is much better.

I was looking at an essay I wrote about the Buffalo Bills in college, and it pertaining to what this team means to Western New York, and all who share their lives, food and stories each Sunday with friends and strangers. It was a paper written for a sociology class, taking a look at the positive social affect this particular sports team has on our city. I'd also like to add that is was written shortly after the Scott Norwood gathering downtown after the first super bowl.

I found something very revealing in that paper - Regardless of how the team did each year, the spirit and togetherness this city has because of a common interest seemed to transcend what happened on the field year to year, and like the seasons where each spring brings optimism, each new Bills season brought hope to all invested in the team emotionally, regardless of the previous year's achievements. Winning and losing seasons seemed to linger equally the next year.

Forget the financial aspect of the franchise to the region, and it becomes clear that this team means more to its region than any other sports franchise in any other major league. So after talking to several locals at our Bills Backer bar, I discovered that even when you leave Buffalo, this team still gives you hope, and even after sitting through one of the toughest seasons in recent memory, we all still feel the same, we still all want to see the team succeed, almost more for the city of Buffalo than for ourselves. Some have even said they wanted it for the teams that came so close, or for die hard fans who are no longer with us.

That is what I love about this team. I have lived in other cities, and no sports team can hold a candle to what this team means to its fans. In Buffalo, it truly has become a way of life.

GO BILLS.

Great post, we need something positive to read about after this year's debacle. I used to live in Nashvegas myself during the Bills SB years and loved it until I went back for the Miracle throw forward game in '99 and got in several fights with Titans fans.

Nice post - i used to live in Nashvegas ... hated it ... only place i have ever lived that i will not go back to. Move east Knoxville is much better.

hahahahaha!!!! I hate it here too man!!! I'd love to move back home to Buffalo... stupid good job market here... :thumbsup: