Delusional

zzero

That's what the fans, all whipped up into a frenzy by the likes of Jerry Sullivan, are when they act as if the solution to the Bills' problems is simply a matter of firing Dick Jauron and bringing in some "superstar" head coaching prospect. I have no confidence that things will get better if Ralph Wilson and Russ Brandon sit down to pick another coach. The basic problem with this team is that the football department has no one in charge. The GM is an accountant and the personnel person who apparently has the most knowledge lives and works in Florida. The first order of business should be that of finding a football expert to run the football side of the organization. Then let that person dtermine whether Jauron, Modrak, Guy and all of the others need to be replaced. I don't want Leo Roth, Jerry Sullivan, Ralph Wilson or Joe Poster picking my coach. I want a well-qualified GM making that decision.

Without organizational change, firing Jauron and bringing in the next Gregg Williams or Mike Mularkey would just be repeating the mistakes of the past. There is a lot more that needs to be fixed here than the head coach.

That's what the fans, all whipped up into a frenzy by the likes of Jerry Sullivan, are when they act as if the solution to the Bills' problems is simply a matter of firing Dick Jauron and bringing in some "superstar" head coaching prospect. I have no confidence that things will get better if Ralph Wilson and Russ Brandon sit down to pick another coach. The basic problem with this team is that the football department has no one in charge. The GM is an accountant and the personnel person who apparently has the most knowledge lives and works in Florida. The first order of business should be that of finding a football expert to run the football side of the organization. Then let that person dtermine whether Jauron, Modrak, Guy and all of the others need to be replaced. I don't want Leo Roth, Jerry Sullivan, Ralph Wilson or Joe Poster picking my coach. I want a well-qualified GM making that decision.

Without organizational change, firing Jauron and bringing in the next Gregg Williams or Mike Mularkey would just be repeating the mistakes of the past. There is a lot more that needs to be fixed here than the head coach.

I'd love to see someone like Scott Pioli brought in. Let a proven winner like Pioli pick the coach. Or, as long as we can dream, maybe Parcells since apparently he can opt out of his contract with Miami

but alas, Wilson wouldn't bring anyone like that after the failed Tom Donahue experiment.

really it is the heart of the problem. Think about the turnarounds in Miami and Atlanta that we cite to show that we can blow it all up - the coaches they brought in were not big coaches - but, at least in Miami's case, the choice was made by one of the best football people in the business.

Yeah, because Jerry says it will all turn into sunshine and lollipops if we just change the head coach:

So here we are today, staring at the same sorry scenario. Dick Jauron’s team brings a 7-8 record into the season finale against the Patriots. His players say they love him. If they upset the Pats, it will be hailed as an endorsement of the coach.

That’s how far we’ve come in six years. Wilson says he wants continuity.

He already has it. It’s almost as if he never changed coaches. It’s been one continuous run of mediocrity. Wade Phillips, Williams, Mike Mularkey, Jauron. Paste on a new face, same results.

When you aspire to mediocrity, that’s what you get. When Wilson refuses to pay for the top coaches, he establishes a lower standard. Then, when the team turns in a second-rate performance, the owner says he doesn’t have the talent.

That’s how .500 can be sold as an achievement. Why not? This is Buffalo, where we’re supposed to be thankful to simply have our sports teams, just as we’re expected to be grateful for the snowplows, even when they show up five days late.

http://www.buffalonews.com/opinion/columns...ory/534255.html

You need to be edumacated ok - Gregg William and Mike Mularkey were hired by... GM Tom Donahoe

Dick Jauron was hired by... Director of football operations Marv Levy

All three hires done by football guys-so exactly what is your point?

Its all a dice roll anyway when it comes to the type of caoching that Ralph is willing to pay for.

There is a lot more that needs to be fixed here than the head coach.

Fixing the Coach is a step in the right direction.

There are many things wrong with this team and nobody thinks a new coach is a magical cure all.

Firing the coach would show that:

1) 7-9 is not good enough

2) Ralph is willing to eat the salary of an underperforming employee (and therefore not as cheep as we think)

And what bearing do the fans, Jerry Sullivan, or Joe Poster have on what happens at One Bills Drive? Last I checked, we didn't get a vote. I agree with you about the front office, but it seems like you may be a bit delusional if you think the problem is what the fans are thinking...

:thumbsup: Outstanding post!

Right up to the hiring of Dick, Ralph's always had a "GM" in place. It was Marv Levy who hired Jauron. Donahoe hired Williams and Mularkey. Butler hired Wade Phillips after Marv stepped down as coach in 1997. Polian hired Levy in 1986.

Now, your definition of "well qualified" GM really strikes home. After Polian quit / got fired, and then John Butler quit / got fired, taking AJ Smith with him to San Diego, Ralph has not had a well qualified GM, although we all thought Tom Donahoe would do a better job then he did. By the way, is anyone else as amazed as I am that Donahoe's name has surfaced as a possible GM for Detroit and Cleveland??

I am afraid that Wilson likes his little "inner circle" of minions. Russ Brandon & Jeff Littman aren't going anywhere. Littman has been with Ralph for what, 30 years? And Brandon has been nothing short of a miracle man marketing the small market Bills into the 21st century. So the real intrigue comes with Modrak and Guy and Wilson himself. Who the hell knows what Wilson will end up doing by tomorrow??? :bag: