What is really wrong with the franchise

Adam

OK, we are a mish mash of everything we can find. We pick up a QB and a coach here and there, a player here and there.......we have no unity of direction. We need a strong minded guy like a Bill Polian to come in and set the foundation- yes, I set it- THE FOUNDATION. We are starting over- we are not a mediocre team on the rise. We are a mediocre team that has reached its ceiling. This is as far as this group will take us. Sorry, I know you don't like it, but its the truth. All the negativity from Sullivan about how we underachieved doesn't make it true- he knows a lot less about football that I do, and less than most of people on this board do.

We have people that want to do stuff to win now, we have people that want to let Edwards develop- you can't do both. Jauron has been coach and has had the final word on talent aquisition- you can't do both. Our WR corps hasn't been good since we lost Moulds- our best play has been a homerun ball to Evans- you don't win with low percentage plays. We want to run the cover two, but we have a front four that does nothing on either side of the ball. We prioritize the wrong positions- remember taking Whitner- who is a fantastic talent, but we left Ngata on the board.

We need to make a decision on offense- is our line going to be a man blocking unit or zone blocking- of course, you need both, but what is the core strength going to be? The talent of the front line must be able to blend unless you want a mess. I say sign Jason Peters to a 10-year, backloaded cap friendly deal with a nice bonus- he could be the basis for an athletic zone blocking group. I think Butler is capable- and better than Dockery. Let Walker go- he is a slothe and struggles in both types of blocking. I favor the zone route, because I think it will make Lynch more decisive and force him to be a more north-south runner, allowing him to use his power to punish tacklers. I'd also like to see a fullback- we are a cold weather team, we should be hammering people.

On the defensive line- whether or not we stick with the cover 2, we need to get better up front and this is the year to do it. Haynesworth is out there- I'd love to grab him. I'd also love to take D-linemen with our first two picks Oropko from Texas and Selvie from South Florida are different players but both have a lot of potential. I also like the DT (Jerry) and DE (Hardy) from Ole Miss- they were as tough up front as anybody. I really like our secondary- and I think Scott will be a starter next year. We have depth at DB and at LB- if our DL starts doing something, then you will see the third down stops from early in the season.

Back to the original theme- a central leader has to flat out say what we are on offense, what we are on defense and how those philosophies fit together. They need to prioritize positions- and not just based on need- they need to then rank these rankings against our need and find how to fit them together to make us a better football team. This leader needs to sit down with Wilson and Jauron to find if the current coaching staff fits with his philosophies- and I think they will- Jauron has not had a team capable of winning the line of scrimmage against good opponents since arriving in Buffalo a few years ago. Without that, you become too dependent on big plays on both sides of the ball- you need to get 4 yards per play and allow less- that won't always happen, but the closer you get, the better you are. We find that leadership, and you will see Wilson's meddling stop and the winning start- once he sees true leadership, he won't need to meddle.

Another point- we can't be satisfied with the guy who "is the best we have". Aaron Schobel is a great example- he is a nonstop player who sells out on every play for the team- he wants to win and he is willing to put himself through hell to do it. He is not Brice Smith- he isn't Michael Strahan....not even elite. You need players like him, you just need to depend on somebody better. Lee Evans is a good deep threat and he can run some short routes- he is not the five-tool player (using a baseball analogy) you build an offense around- I'd take an Andre Reed or Cris Carter any day of he week over him.

Aaron is good but Evans isn't? The coach is okay? They need a GM? So what about the coaches game day and personnel choices? His inability to plan/adapt his team to a 3/4 defensive scheme.

I agree that the Bills could use a PHILOSPHY on both sides of the ball, after 3 years an identity should have been built, plus some decent depth................ in the secondary and no where else is not enough in my opinion.

Good bye DJ your a good guy but I don't want you on the sideline anymore.

Aaron is good but Evans isn't? The coach is okay? They need a GM? So what about the coaches game day and personnel choices? His inability to plan/adapt his team to a 3/4 defensive scheme.

I agree that the Bills could use a PHILOSPHY on both sides of the ball, after 3 years an identity should have been built, plus some decent depth................ in the secondary and no where else is not enough in my opinion.

Identity starts at the line of scrimmage- the coaches have been doing it with smoke and mirrors for more than a decade now, scheming around not having an offensive or defensive line. Schobel and Evans are both good players, neither is elite.

When did we switch to a 3-4? I have a feeling that Jauron will be back....like it or not. If the lines are good, he will be too- if they aren't, he won't be any better than he's been for three years or Williams and Mularkey before him were

Back to the original theme- a central leader has to flat out say what we are on offense, what we are on defense and how those philosophies fit together. They need to prioritize positions- and not just based on need- they need to then rank these rankings against our need and find how to fit them together to make us a better football team. This leader needs to sit down with Wilson and Jauron to find if the current coaching staff fits with his philosophies- and I think they will- Jauron has not had a team capable of winning the line of scrimmage against good opponents since arriving in Buffalo a few years ago.

Adam...I know You've been around here for a while...so you can't be Jauron's Kid or anything like that...I just can't figure out why You love the Guy so much? The Guy had a losing record 4 out of the 5 Years in Chicago...What was the excuse there? Did He fit there? No...he just did what He's done here...Lose... And what, after watching this Guy Coach for 3 Years, would even give You a clue that He could fit anyone's philosophy? Unless that philosophy involved finishing with a 7-9 Record or worse of coarse...

Come on Adam...Come over to the dark Side...We have cookies and we are no longer accepting the mediocrity that has been the Buffalo Bills over these last 9 years...There is plenty of work to be done everywhere in this Organization...But that loser HC has got to be the 1st to go...Then we can talk about the rest...:blush:

I will agree that Schobel is a good player and its unfortnate that he is down with injuries this year. Lee Evans is a good reciever but to me he is not a true number #1WR. I don't think stats can explain that either because of the QB issues that Buffalo has had over the years (A revolving door) The same can be said about coaches and cordinators to.

With the current personel we have right now I think we come out better with a 4-3 defense. I just don't think we have the speed at the LB positions nor the size up front to run a 3-4 defense. That would take about 2 more drafts and FA help to put that kind of team in place.

Dick Juron im undecided about. Most teams that need a coaching change the players stop playing for you but thats not the case here the players like this guy and are still playing hard for him. So if we do anything lets bring in Mike Martz as a OC it could help.

OK, we are a mish mash of everything we can find. We pick up a QB and a coach here and there, a player here and there.......we have no unity of direction. We need a strong minded guy like a Bill Polian to come in and set the foundation- yes, I set it- THE FOUNDATION. We are starting over- we are not a mediocre team on the rise. We are a mediocre team that has reached its ceiling. This is as far as this group will take us. Sorry, I know you don't like it, but its the truth. All the negativity from Sullivan about how we underachieved doesn't make it true- he knows a lot less about football that I do, and less than most of people on this board do.

We have people that want to do stuff to win now, we have people that want to let Edwards develop- you can't do both. Jauron has been coach and has had the final word on talent aquisition- you can't do both. Our WR corps hasn't been good since we lost Moulds- our best play has been a homerun ball to Evans- you don't win with low percentage plays. We want to run the cover two, but we have a front four that does nothing on either side of the ball. We prioritize the wrong positions- remember taking Whitner- who is a fantastic talent, but we left Ngata on the board.

We need to make a decision on offense- is our line going to be a man blocking unit or zone blocking- of course, you need both, but what is the core strength going to be? The talent of the front line must be able to blend unless you want a mess. I say sign Jason Peters to a 10-year, backloaded cap friendly deal with a nice bonus- he could be the basis for an athletic zone blocking group. I think Butler is capable- and better than Dockery. Let Walker go- he is a slothe and struggles in both types of blocking. I favor the zone route, because I think it will make Lynch more decisive and force him to be a more north-south runner, allowing him to use his power to punish tacklers. I'd also like to see a fullback- we are a cold weather team, we should be hammering people.

On the defensive line- whether or not we stick with the cover 2, we need to get better up front and this is the year to do it. Haynesworth is out there- I'd love to grab him. I'd also love to take D-linemen with our first two picks Oropko from Texas and Selvie from South Florida are different players but both have a lot of potential. I also like the DT (Jerry) and DE (Hardy) from Ole Miss- they were as tough up front as anybody. I really like our secondary- and I think Scott will be a starter next year. We have depth at DB and at LB- if our DL starts doing something, then you will see the third down stops from early in the season.

Back to the original theme- a central leader has to flat out say what we are on offense, what we are on defense and how those philosophies fit together. They need to prioritize positions- and not just based on need- they need to then rank these rankings against our need and find how to fit them together to make us a better football team. This leader needs to sit down with Wilson and Jauron to find if the current coaching staff fits with his philosophies- and I think they will- Jauron has not had a team capable of winning the line of scrimmage against good opponents since arriving in Buffalo a few years ago. Without that, you become too dependent on big plays on both sides of the ball- you need to get 4 yards per play and allow less- that won't always happen, but the closer you get, the better you are. We find that leadership, and you will see Wilson's meddling stop and the winning start- once he sees true leadership, he won't need to meddle.

Another point- we can't be satisfied with the guy who "is the best we have". Aaron Schobel is a great example- he is a nonstop player who sells out on every play for the team- he wants to win and he is willing to put himself through hell to do it. He is not Brice Smith- he isn't Michael Strahan....not even elite. You need players like him, you just need to depend on somebody better. Lee Evans is a good deep threat and he can run some short routes- he is not the five-tool player (using a baseball analogy) you build an offense around- I'd take an Andre Reed or Cris Carter any day of he week over him.

Well, we can start by keeping our own Free Agents that are worth keeping. This cycle that we have been stuck in over the last few years of drafting players at positions you plan on letting go in the near future, be it free agency or via trade, and we also draft players to replace free agents that have already left Buffalo. For example, we drafted 2nd round pick Josh Reed because we had no plans of keeping Peerless Price, We drafted McKelvin with our 1st round pick, because we let Clements, whom is a former 1st round pick as well, walk. London Fletcher goes to Washington and we use a 2nd round pick, that we traded up for, to draft Poz.

By my count, these three moves cost us two 1st rounders, 2 second rounders and another 3rd rounder that we gave up for Poz. That's five picks in all. All first day picks that we should have used on other needs. Not to mention all the picks we used to trade up in the draft just to end up with marginal players at best, and that's putting it lightly, such as, JP Losman, John McCargo and the aforementioned Paul Posluszny. These are valuable picks that are wasted because we don't keep our team intact.

Some of these moves were great moves and some of them not so much. Letting Peerless Price go was a great move. Letting London Fletcher go was an example of a bad decision. Tell me, would you rather have Poz or would you rather have LF and one of the following, TE Zach Miller, C Ryan Kalil, C Samson Satele or TE Kevin Boss? All of which were available to the Bills had they not drafted Poz and let LF go. How about Clements and one of these guys, LT Ryan Clady, LB Jerod Mayo, OG Branden Albert or TE Dustin Keller, or would you rather have just Leodis McKelvin?

We're constantly plugging up holes instead of building up. Chasing our own tail, so to speak.

It's time the FO make some signings on our own squad. We better see Fred Jackson, Jabari Greer, Ashton Youboty and Jason Peters signed up long term before the start of the 2009 draft. Let's use our picks in the upcoming draft to supplement the needs of our team, not replace those that were lost.

Identity starts at the line of scrimmage- the coaches have been doing it with smoke and mirrors for more than a decade now, scheming around not having an offensive or defensive line. Schobel and Evans are both good players, neither is elite.

When did we switch to a 3-4? I have a feeling that Jauron will be back....like it or not. If the lines are good, he will be too- if they aren't, he won't be any better than he's been for three years or Williams and Mularkey before him were

The original poster meant the 3-4 defenses we were facing, not using, and losing to by the way.

This team is what the Quarterback play is. The Quarterback played well in seven wins, the Quarterback played bad in eight losses. The Defense was terrible in the Arizona game, second half of the first Dolphins and Jets game, and could not get off the field against the Patriots. Because Bill Walsh said Edwards will be great, nothing will be done with Edwards. Therefore, the first four picks in the draft will be defensive players, along with at least one good defensive free agent pickup.

This team is what the Quarterback play is. The Quarterback played well in seven wins, the Quarterback played bad in eight losses. The Defense was terrible in the Arizona game, second half of the first Dolphins and Jets game, and could not get off the field against the Patriots. Because Bill Walsh said Edwards will be great, nothing will be done with Edwards. Therefore, the first four picks in the draft will be defensive players, along with at least one good defensive free agent pickup.

football is won with defense and at the line of scrimmage.

Adam...I know You've been around here for a while...so you can't be Jauron's Kid or anything like that...I just can't figure out why You love the Guy so much? The Guy had a losing record 4 out of the 5 Years in Chicago...What was the excuse there? Did He fit there? No...he just did what He's done here...Lose... And what, after watching this Guy Coach for 3 Years, would even give You a clue that He could fit anyone's philosophy? Unless that philosophy involved finishing with a 7-9 Record or worse of coarse...

I am not the Jauron backer that you make me out to be.....I just don't follow the fan's typical group think that in getting rid of a coach you automatically get a better one. I don't really think coaching is our real problem- could better coaching have shut New England down the past few years? They whoop us at the line of srimmage, plain and simple. If we have somebody better llined up fine, but don't fire a coach just to conduct a search.....that is silly

football is won with defense and at the line of scrimmage.

Absolutely- our busts on Kelsay, Denney, Williams and taking guys like Parrish instead of linemen have killed us over the years

Those were bad teams we beat- QB play is dictated by how the line plays. Everything revolves around the line....not the fluff

Well, we can start by keeping our own Free Agents that are worth keeping. This cycle that we have been stuck in over the last few years of drafting players at positions you plan on letting go in the near future, be it free agency or via trade, and we also draft players to replace free agents that have already left Buffalo. For example, we drafted 2nd round pick Josh Reed because we had no plans of keeping Peerless Price, We drafted McKelvin with our 1st round pick, because we let Clements, whom is a former 1st round pick as well, walk. London Fletcher goes to Washington and we use a 2nd round pick, that we traded up for, to draft Poz.

By my count, these three moves cost us two 1st rounders, 2 second rounders and another 3rd rounder that we gave up for Poz. That's five picks in all. All first day picks that we should have used on other needs. Not to mention all the picks we used to trade up in the draft just to end up with marginal players at best, and that's putting it lightly, such as, JP Losman, John McCargo and the aforementioned Paul Posluszny. These are valuable picks that are wasted because we don't keep our team intact.

Some of these moves were great moves and some of them not so much. Letting Peerless Price go was a great move. Letting London Fletcher go was an example of a bad decision. Tell me, would you rather have Poz or would you rather have LF and one of the following, TE Zach Miller, C Ryan Kalil, C Samson Satele or TE Kevin Boss? All of which were available to the Bills had they not drafted Poz and let LF go. How about Clements and one of these guys, LT Ryan Clady, LB Jerod Mayo, OG Branden Albert or TE Dustin Keller, or would you rather have just Leodis McKelvin?

We're constantly plugging up holes instead of building up. Chasing our own tail, so to speak.

It's time the FO make some signings on our own squad. We better see Fred Jackson, Jabari Greer, Ashton Youboty and Jason Peters signed up long term before the start of the 2009 draft. Let's use our picks in the upcoming draft to supplement the needs of our team, not replace those that were lost.

I can agree- although I think we can use Fred Jackson to move up in the draft or get an extra pick- but only if its worth it- he's a heck or a player

Instead of typing all that, I could have saved you a ton of time with one name.....Ralph Wilson

Buffalo probably won't have a football team when Wilson is gone- and who knows, even if they do, it could be someone who meddles even more