Could we get a first round pick for Whitner?

1billsfan

Exactly because the rest of our defense's talents are on par with the Ravens. :angry:

Do some of you people honestly think that every player in the NFL plays on an island and are automatically good or bad based on their statistics? You hoenstly don't think a Donte Whitner would play circles around a Jim Leonhard next to Ed Reed and behind Ray Lewis and co.?

No. I agree.....BUT, the point is that you can go for value at positions like that, and draft STUDs at DT, and DE (or LBs in 3-4s)...look at the patriots, they didn't draft DB's early until they had their D-lines set....same for the ravens....

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whitner is good not great. He might look a helluva lot better with a pass rush, but hey so will the whole D. Get some D ends and then lets judge this team. Offense just needs a TE and some more continuity(time to play together for you knuckle heads). I know i sound crazy for that. But they are going to be very good.

D needs atleast one fast aggresive pass rusher. An outside LB and maybe just maybe we will have something good. Whitner stays as does Jauron sorry.

I love it....for weeks I asked these clowns who say Whitner is below average in coverage to come up with plays were Whitner was beat in coverage.....

none of these clowns could come with anything....

now Whitner comes back from injury and has had a couple of rough games in a row...and these same clowns come out of the closet to bash him.....

Those of you saying that Scott is better then Whitner...Did you actually watch the game on Sunday??

IMO Whitner's solid overall but lacks the ball hawking skills you want in a FS. He should stay at SS and I'd like to see Youboty play FS. Youboty was really getting to the ball before he went down

I would like to see Youbooty get some practice time at Free safety in next years OTA's and training camp

I like the idea

I said the same thing in another topic post

But let see what happens to Whitner against Cassel.....

I love it....for weeks I asked these clowns who say Whitner is below average in coverage to come up with plays were Whitner was beat in coverage.....

now Whitner comes back from injury and has had a couple of rough games in a row...and these same clowns come out of the closet to bash him.....

Those of you saying that Scott is better then Whitner...Did you actually watch the game on Sunday??

Raiders game, all game long.

St. Louis all game long.

SD game to the point where Scott was used on TEs over Whitner.

1st Jets game he was toasted

Denver game he was smoked sausage

Go watch the games and watch him in coverage.

Here's an interesting stat 1 Pass Defended all year. ONE with no INTs. Tell me one safety who is ok in coverage with those numbers.

I've been calling him out in pass coverage all year. I put up the stats, show me him being a force in pass coverage. I'll wait.

The joke's on you pal. Plenty of people pointed out specific instances in which Whitner was beat. That you're too busy stroking your #20 jersey's on you. He has shown throughout his career that unlike true impact safeties in the NFL, he does not have a nose for the ball. He's loves to talk and put on a show when a microphone is in front of his face. But when the lights are on, he comes up small.

Fred Jackson, Terrance McGee, Leodis McKelvin, Josh Reed -- those guys are gamers. Whitner isn't even close.

Yes, I did. And Scott's play far exceeded that of Whitner in the Denver game, as it has the entire season.

Wanna stat since your hung up on this Whitner cant cover TE's.....

In 2007, 16 games, TE's averaged 3rec 35yds per game

In 2008, 1st half, TE's averaged 2rec 23yds per game

In 2008, 2nd half, TE's average 5rec 62yds per game

What changed sir?? Think Whitner injury has had no effect??

Wanna stat since your hung up on this Whitner cant cover TE's.....

In 2007, 16 games, TE's averaged 3rec 35yds per game

In 2008, 1st half, TE's averaged 2rec 23yds per game

In 2008, 2nd half, TE's average 5rec 62yds per game

Hmm... of course this has nothing at all to do with the fact that the Bills had a powder puff schedule in the first half of the season, featuring the likes of the Rams, Raiders and the Seahawks. In fact, it was Bryan Scott who did a masterful job covering Antonio Gates in the San Diego game.

Whitner was very much in the game last week against Denver and got school repeatedly by tight ends, consistently arriving late as he so often does. He was also blatantly beat for a touch down by Anthony Fasano in the Toronto game. Good players come up big against the best competition. Whitner comes up small.

I will be rooting for #20 this Sunday just as hard as any Bills fan will... but I'm simply telling it like it is.

Whitner was very much in the game last week against Denver and got school repeatedly by tight ends, consistently arriving late as he so often does. He was also blatantly beat for a touch down by Anthony Fasano in the Toronto game. Good players come up big against the best competition. Whitner comes up small.

That awesome that you bring up the Fasano TD....Yes Whitner was the man nearest to the play....

Examine the play though....

The Dolphins send a WR in motion to the weak side, The Bills are in cover 2....Whitner/Ko have deep 2 zone responsibility...the CB on that vacated side now has flat responsiblity, the WILL LB(guess who that was) is responsible for the 1 on his side(Fasano)....He has to force the 1 to bubble out, not allowing him the seam....Once the WILL loses the TE, Pennington has a wind open window to hit Fasno in the seam underneath the safety's.....and thats exactly what happened...

You blame Whitner for the TD....thats fine....

but rewatch the play...check out the WILL....he loses the TE at the 10 and allows him the seam....

In the cover 2 the WILL and Nickel are responsible for the seams(which is the weak point of any cover 2 coverage)....

ut you go ahead and put it on Whitner...

Let's see, the hit on Chad Johnson wasn't bad.

But then you'll say, that's only one hit.

He is the leader of this defense, he always brings his top game, he plays with more intensity than any player on the defense and they look up to that...I remember how he was holding film sessions with the younger defensive backs like Ashton Youboty during the offseason.

The guy is committed, and he's consistently getting better on the field. He's still young, especially for a safety which is a difficult position to learn in the NFL.

Lastly, the defense is clearly better when he's on the field.

The Bills need MORE players like Whitner, then they'd have a lot more heart.

What a joke.

Maybe not, I was flipping back and forth between games on the NFL ticket and may have missed a few plays. Who did he hit and when did it happen?

Three years till we get a big hit? That sucks for a former 1st round "star" strong safety.

You really don't understand what he is for this franchise. The reason he doesn't get those "big plays" all the time like Bob Sanders or Ed Reed is because the surrounding cast around him is weak. Alright our corners are getting there and Pos will be really good but our d-line is horrible and cannot get any pressure on opposing quarterbacks. Look at the Pass rushers Bob Sanders has Dwight Freeney and Mathis. Those guys are athletic freaks who are usually getting good pressure on quarterbacks. And Reed has guys like Terrel Suggs, Ray Lewis, And Ngata all of these guys are big threats. They use whitner as a safety valve o make up for the lack of talent our defense has. They use him to make sure big plays don't happen because he is a solid player and knows what do when he faces a situation. Now when we get rid of guys like schobel and kelsay and bring in some legit pass rushers who will quarterbacks will fear then you can start putting whitner in better situations to make those big plays. He goes out on the field and gives 110% every time, not to many players in the nfl play with his intensity and commitment. If you really think to trade away a guy like him that would be a huge blow to our defense and it shows how you as a fan don't really know our players.

That awesome that you bring up the Fasano TD....Yes Whitner was the man nearest to the play....

Examine the play though....

The Dolphins send a WR in motion to the weak side, The Bills are in cover 2....Whitner/Ko have deep 2 zone responsibility...the CB on that vacated side now has flat responsiblity, the WILL LB(guess who that was) is responsible for the 1 on his side(Fasano)....He has to force the 1 to bubble out, not allowing him the seam....Once the WILL loses the TE, Pennington has a wind open window to hit Fasno in the seam underneath the safety's.....and thats exactly what happened...

You blame Whitner for the TD....thats fine....

but rewatch the play...check out the WILL....he loses the TE at the 10 and allows him the seam....

In the cover 2 the WILL and Nickel are responsible for the seams(which is the weak point of any cover 2 coverage)....

ut you go ahead and put it on Whitner...

The motion caused the Sam to shift back off the line. He did press Fasano from the inside, but his jam is pretty lame. Fasano did jab step around him and then took the post route back to the inside. The ball wasn't thrown then. Whitner comes up at that point, probably expecting what you described, but Fasano takes a good 5 or 7 strides to get on level with Whitner, at which point Whitner is beaten and can't make a play on the ball or Fasano as the ball is dropped in and Fasano catches it in the endzone for the score. There was no switch, so the Sam was playing the 5th in front of Fasano. The Will actually does get a good jam on the flanker on the original weak side.

First, I'd say the Dophins were expecting this vanilla zone defense. The motion just declares the defense and then they ran the skinny route right across Whitner's face, baiting him to try to jump the route, but knowing there will be no real pressure and going over the top. In a cover 2, the under zones aren't going to drop 20 yards deep to help Whitner out. Finally, the Dolphins were clearly wanting to match-up Fasano against Whitner on the play; Fasano has very good speed and a size advantage on Whitner, so even if Whitner had been in position, the play had a good chance. It all worked perfectly for them.

You really don't understand what he is for this franchise. The reason he doesn't get those "big plays" all the time like Bob Sanders or Ed Reed is because the surrounding cast around him is weak. Alright our corners are getting there and Pos will be really good but our d-line is horrible and cannot get any pressure on opposing quarterbacks. Look at the Pass rushers Bob Sanders has Dwight Freeney and Mathis. Those guys are athletic freaks who are usually getting good pressure on quarterbacks. And Reed has guys like Terrel Suggs, Ray Lewis, And Ngata all of these guys are big threats. They use whitner as a safety valve o make up for the lack of talent our defense has. They use him to make sure big plays don't happen because he is a solid player and knows what do when he faces a situation. Now when we get rid of guys like schobel and kelsay and bring in some legit pass rushers who will quarterbacks will fear then you can start putting whitner in better situations to make those big plays. He goes out on the field and gives 110% every time, not to many players in the nfl play with his intensity and commitment. If you really think to trade away a guy like him that would be a huge blow to our defense and it shows how you as a fan don't really know our players.

Thanks Donte, for stopping by :rolleyes: