Jabari Greer

BillsObserver

If I remember correctly, Jabari Greer is a free agent after this season.

Because of the emergence of Leodis McKelvin and Reggie Corner, does this make Greer dispensable?

For some reason, this really ticks me off that the Bills didn't give this guy another deal at some point. We could've had him at a very modest rate before this season and I know, hindsight is 20/20, but this guy is really good. I think he's better than McGee. I hate the idea of the Bills grooming him for so long and just letting the deal run out. I don't think we should throw a lot of money at him either because of the young guys coming on strong. Or is there a chance that Greer would want to stay here?

Just imagine a secondary with REAL depth: McGee, McKelvin, YOUBOTY, Corner, and Greer. Now if we could only shore up other positions on the defensive side (DE, LB)....

One other question: Does his injury affect his value at all??

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I think McKelvin and Corner are still young and developing. I liked the way Greer was playing before he got hurt so I'm hoping he gets a contract and stays. I would like to think that they would get him back but hey I don't work in the NFL.

Locking Greer up - and thus establishing the quality depth the original poster mentioned - would be the ridiculously easy and smart thing to do.

Therefore, the Bills will likely do the opposite. This will "force" them to use (read: waste) a pick in the first three rounds on yet another DB. Brilliant!

Expect the same treatment for Fred Jackson.

Until they prove otherwise, there's no reason to suspect the Bills front office has any idea what they're doing.

McKelvin, McGee, Corner, Youboty, AND Greer seems like overkill to me...

If it means going to great lengths to keep him, it might not be worth it. If they can apply one of the tags to him or get him at a REASONABLE rate, then HELL yeah you keep the guy. Otherwise, we've got much bigger fish to fry.

For some reason, this really ticks me off that the Bills didn't give this guy another deal at some point. We could've had him at a very modest rate before this season and I know, hindsight is 20/20, but this guy is really good. I think he's better than McGee. I hate the idea of the Bills grooming him for so long and just letting the deal run out. I don't think we should throw a lot of money at him either because of the young guys coming on strong. Or is there a chance that Greer would want to stay here?

I wish the Bills would have redone the contracts for Greer and Peters in the offseason. These were two guys who were being paid far less than what most starting players, at their position, in the NFL receive. As far as I know, NO attempt was made to sign them (it isn't as if the Bills offered a reasonable new contract and it was turned down)...again, as far as I know. Now both of these guys are in "situations" that probably could have been avoided.

I don't think Greer will command Winfield/Clements kid of money in FA, but he will likely be too pricey for the Bills, especially given their CB depth. I agree with the posters who think the Bills should attempt to sign him. I get upset when a good FA leaves the Bills and I don't get the feeling the Bills even made a good effort to retain their services. I am NOT suggesting the Bills overpay, I'm just suggesting they do their best, and take a shot.

McKelvin, McGee, Corner, Youboty, AND Greer seems like overkill to me...

If it means going to great lengths to keep him, it might not be worth it. If they can apply one of the tags to him or get him at a REASONABLE rate, then HELL yeah you keep the guy. Otherwise, we've got much bigger fish to fry.

The injuries experienced in the last two years, suggest it is not.

I wish the Bills would have redone the contracts for Greer and Peters in the offseason.

I'd argue the reason Buffalo drafted McKelvin and to a lesser degree Corner was a way of protecting themselves when Greer hit UFA. I don't think they ever intended to retain him, and drafted accordingly. Their depth at CB is decent with Youboty returning. McGee hits UFA after 09, and I could see them allowing him to depart. I'd prefer they retained McGee and looked for McKelvin to start opposite him in 08 with either Corner and Youboty manning the nickel.

The draft is about the future, as much as we'd like it to be about the future. Greer's price tag is too high, and Buffalo planned ahead to replace him. It's one thing I'll commend the front office on. Now about that pass rush.

I'd argue the reason Buffalo drafted McKelvin and to a lesser degree Corner was a way of protecting themselves when Greer hit UFA. I don't think they ever intended to retain him, and drafted accordingly. Their depth at CB is decent with Youboty returning. McGee hits UFA after 09, and I could see them allowing him to depart. I'd prefer they retained McGee and looked for McKelvin to start opposite him in 08 with either Corner and Youboty manning the nickel.

The draft is about the future, as much as we'd like it to be about the future. Greer's price tag is too high, and Buffalo planned ahead to replace him. It's one thing I'll commend the front office on. Now about that pass rush.

Oh, I agree that the Bills planned ahead, they've actually been pretty good with that. But, it doesn't speak to the points I made in my post.

Sometimes, even though you have planned for the future, you take an opportunity I the present. They drafted McKelvin and Corner so they would have depth if/when Greer leaves. But, that doesn't mean you don't try to keep Greer, if you can get him at under-market value. A preemptive signing might have let them retain Greer at a reasonable salary, which they are very unlikely to get, now. The past two years have shown us you can't have too many good DBs...especially if you can have them all affordably. As much as I like Youboty's play, he can't seem to stay on the field.

The pass rush, LB and Center have to be addressed in the offseason. A class TE would also be a welcome addition (Fine seems like a good #2). I don't think a preemptive signing of Greer, last year. would interfere with that pursuit, in any way.

If they were really planning ahead, why didn't they just re-sign Greer? Remember, before this season Greer's stock wasn't soaring as much as it is now, not even close. He could've been re-signed at a very, very reasonable deal that would've given us a really good cornerback for many years. Instead, we have to go through the process of watching young cornerbacks develop again.

I understand they love to draft cornerbacks, groom them and let them go and make a killing in free agency, but I don't think they were planning ahead in the way you mentioned. Maybe they didn't think Greer was very good and they decided they could pick a better guy in the draft.

Maybe I'm overreacting, but it's just a shame that this guy isn't signed, will likely leave and we get nothing for it. RARELY (so it seems) do the Bills find such a gem like Jabari Greer. Fred Jackson is another.

Oh, I agree that the Bills planned ahead, they've actually been pretty good with that. But, it doesn't speak to the points I made in my post.

Sometimes, even though you have planned for the future, you take an opportunity I the present. They drafted McKelvin and Corner so they would have depth if/when Greer leaves. But, that doesn't mean you don't try to keep Greer, if you can get him at under-market value. A preemptive signing might have let them retain Greer at a reasonable salary, which they are very unlikely to get, now. The past two years have shown us you can't have too many good DBs...especially if you can have them all affordably. As much as I like Youboty's play, he can't seem to stay on the field.

The pass rush, LB and Center have to be addressed in the offseason. A class TE would also be a welcome addition (Fine seems like a good #2). I don't think a preemptive signing of Greer, last year. would interfere with that pursuit, in any way.

I agree 100%, the whole point of my original post but you were able to articulate it very well.

If they were really planning ahead, why didn't they just re-sign Greer? Remember, before this season Greer's stock wasn't soaring as much as it is now, not even close. He could've been re-signed at a very, very reasonable deal that would've given us a really good cornerback for many years. Instead, we have to go through the process of watching young cornerbacks develop again.

I understand they love to draft cornerbacks, groom them and let them go and make a killing in free agency, but I don't think they were planning ahead in the way you mentioned. Maybe they didn't think Greer was very good and they decided they could pick a better guy in the draft.

Maybe I'm overreacting, but it's just a shame that this guy isn't signed, will likely leave and we get nothing for it. RARELY (so it seems) do the Bills find such a gem like Jabari Greer. Fred Jackson is another.

Because even the 11th overall pick in the draft isn't paid like an up and coming CB would get on the UFA market. Game ready CB's are getting 35-40M, which is significantly more than what McKelvin gets. The talent level is closer than the pay.

I would franchise Greer and trade him a la GB with Corey Williams last season.

Jackson is a RESTRICTED Free Agent, FYI.

My point there was the Bills found a really talented guy in Fred Jackson (like Greer) and it rarely happens. Nothing about his contract, but yeah, I'd like if we signed him as well because someone could offer a big deal for him and it's unlikely we'd match it.

Because even the 11th overall pick in the draft isn't paid like an up and coming CB would get on the UFA market. Game ready CB's are getting 35-40M, which is significantly more than what McKelvin gets. The talent level is closer than the pay.

I would franchise Greer and trade him a la GB with Corey Williams last season.

Good point about the franchise tag possibility but I suppose the only problem with that is, much like Fred Jackson, Greer is a low profile type of guy who doesn't celebrate like a clown after he does something good and doesn't speak out in a way where he'd get noticed around the league. No doubt, some GMs have to be eying him up, but what are the chances someone would want to trade for him if he was franchised (establishing him at a top salary)? That would be the ideal situation (Franchising, trading and acquiring some picks) for the Bills (assuming he won't take a reasonable deal at this point).

Greer is the most underrated defense player on our team. This year alone he had HUGE game defining defensive plays. WE NEED TO RESIGN GREER. He is a future pro-bowler and could be one of the best CBs ever.

Let's not exaggerate. He's not going to be one of the best CBs ever. He's a good player that could've been had at a decent rate.