Bailout VS UAW

Dante

I don't get you at all!! You just proved my point again. Americans like bigger cars and trucks.

The Toyota Prius had a 23.8 percent increase (12,494 units sole) while the FULL SIZE TOYOTA TUNDRA posted a 61.4% increase (19,571 units sold).

which one is better? All you have to look at is the units sold. Plus the profit is better on the truck.

Do yourself a favor and stop posting to prove my point.

Then start taxing foreign based energy sources (ie: oil)....when hit with a hot poker, most americans will change. Many can be changed just by putting up billboards that say "Big=Bad" Yes, many are that easy to influence as they can't think for themselves- these are the type you need to pass laws for, so they don't smother themselves by sleeping face down

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK. I find that hard to believe but, I'll take your word for it.

I watched a show on PBS that Alan Alda did on the cars of the future.

He interviewed Toyota product developer and they said the following: Americans want performance. And they continued to say that performance is at odds with good gas milage.

And I watched a show running a Hybrid Tahoe vs. V8 Pick-up. Hybrid beat the V8 on many levels.

That's a nice meaningless stat from the 2007 numbers. Let's look at things now: In Nov 2008, the Tundra sold 6,607 units. 11/2007: 19,571. For the Prius...2008:8,660. 2007:12,494.

Seeing as how you're putting on such an impressive display of business acumen, I'm guessing you'd say the Tundra is doing better than the Prius.

I didn't see the 2008 numbers. I stand corrected. But what is the profit margin on the truck compared to that little piece of garbage Prius.

Also, why did Prius drop from 12,494 to 8,660? Did you type that in correctly?

And I don't see that trend becoming the the rule in auto sales.

SUVs are going to return to power, like it or not. SUVs rule, it's not a question.

The best selling auto is the Ford F150 isn't it?

What is your point?

I'm asking DC Tom other than blaming unions. How do you fix the Big 3.

I've heard many here and on TV say the Big 3 make autos no one wants to buy.

That's not true. It's a lie.

The Big 3 invented the SUV and it became the dominant auto in the USA the last decade. Now it's not working.

I want to know what the solution is. People say small cars are the answer.

Does DC Tom agree with that?

Here, I will add something constructive... check out these new high performance diesels and add in the idea combining with bio-diesel which burns even cleaner.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7232357.stm

Thanks for the link and the input. I hope something like this can work. At least they know that high performance is what matters and the American customer won't trade down.

Thanks for the link and the input. I hope something like this can work. At least they know that high performance is what matters and the American customer won't trade down.

The only thing is, why haven't American car companies come up with this and push it. (That was a rhetorical statement). Darn loser car executives.

Just because you keep saying this doesn't make it so. Toyota is not a high performance car brand and yet it's the No. 1 autoseller and is on the rise while the Big 2 fall. Ditto Honda on the rise. Ford has gotten better because of its Escape and Focus, not because of the Mustang, Explorer, Expedition (all of which were down in 2007-8).

I already did.

GM could never have seen this market condition coming. And making small cars is not the answer to the problem.

Your thoughts?

I think you're an idiot.

The auto industry has always been a cyclical industry. You just said that the biggest company in that cyclical industry didn't understand they're in a cyclical industry.

Earlier I was just busting your balls for making presumptions about posters. Now I think you're an idiot for not even being able to make a coherent argument.