Start from scratch.. Hire Peterson and Schottenhiemer

jms62

There's a guy I went to school with, named Dennis Abraham. He played center in high school, I played nose. If you are looking for an up and comer, he started with the Bills in the mid 90s, and followed John Butler to San Diego. He's Director of Pro Scouting for them according to their website.

Given his rise in the Charger organization, he is going to be some team's GM soon.

This makes far too much sense. We're not looking for people who are up and coming. This franchise is looking to maintain the status quo and dress it up as though we've made big changes.

I trust that AJ Smith, despite hiring an overrated coach in Turner, knows who to put in charge of pro and amateur scouting. That's enough for me.

You're only half right.

They need a competent coach AND a GM... period. Not a new GM, A GM.

This team needs someone with some football intelligence picking the players and someone with some football intelligence leading said players.

It's been said that having a marketing guy running the front office is emblematic of this franchises vision. Sell tickets, invest limited resources, and market like a son of a gun. So far, so good. But real football fans, when they look league wide, know that having a competent GM to run the football side of things is absolutely necessary. Especially when you see Parcells and the Belichick/Pioli tandem.

And Casserly was the guy who made the call on Mario Willimams over Reggie Bush, right? I'd take that guy in a hot second.

Might be one of the most criticized picks in recent memory and probably even cost him his job. Boy is hindsight 20/20-he sure got the last laugh on that one. I too, would like to see him come to Buffalo as GM.

While he was still on the payroll during the '06 draft, it has been widely reported that Casserly had nothing to do with the Texans draft that April, a mere two months before his eventual ousting.

From a Richard Justice article in the Houston Chronicle, 10/16/06:

"The failings of this franchise begin with him. Yes, they actually begin with McNair because he's responsible for everything. Yet he hired Cassserly and Casserly constructed the front office and Casserly was in charge when most of these players arrived. He drafted 19 players in the first four rounds of his drafts. (He had no role in the 2006 draft. I'd like to blame him for Mario Williams, but I just can't. Maybe in a year or two, we'll blame him for that one, too, and the traffic on the Katy Freeway as well.) Ten of those 19 players are gone. Some of the ones that remain--Travis Johnson, Jason Babin, Antwan Peek--seem to be hanging on. Of those 19 picks, the Texans got just four difference-makers: David Carr, Dunta Robinson, Andre Johnson and Chester Pitts. We can debate Carr all day long, but there are times now when he looks like a winning quarterback. Sunday's loss to the Cowboys was a huge step backwards, and the truth is, given the circumstances into which he was thrust, it's impossible to know if he'll ever be the guy the Texans thought he'd be."

Good job getting DeMeco Ryans and Andre Johnson... but what else? Not the track record I want running my team.

Next?

From Pro Football weekly :

From PFW:

“When you look at Charley Casserly’s last draft in Houston, you’ve got to give him some credit. Mario Williams and DeMeco Ryans are Pro Bowl players. Eric Winston has been solid. Owen Daniels is emerging as one of the game’s best all-around tight ends. (Casserly’s) last draft was a helluva draft. The biggest problem he had in Houston was building the offensive line. He paid a lot of veterans in the supplemental draft that never panned out. But he has hit on high picks. Dunta Robinson has turned out to be a better cornerback than DeAngelo Hall. Andre Johnson has become one of the premier receivers in football. And he uncovered some late-round gems, if you can call them that — guys like (Buccaneers DE) Greg White and C.C. Brown.”

While he was still on the payroll during the '06 draft, it has been widely reported that Casserly had nothing to do with the Texans draft that April, a mere two months before his eventual ousting.

From a Richard Justice article in the Houston Chronicle, 10/16/06:

"The failings of this franchise begin with him. Yes, they actually begin with McNair because he's responsible for everything. Yet he hired Cassserly and Casserly constructed the front office and Casserly was in charge when most of these players arrived. He drafted 19 players in the first four rounds of his drafts. (He had no role in the 2006 draft. I'd like to blame him for Mario Williams, but I just can't. Maybe in a year or two, we'll blame him for that one, too, and the traffic on the Katy Freeway as well.) Ten of those 19 players are gone. Some of the ones that remain--Travis Johnson, Jason Babin, Antwan Peek--seem to be hanging on. Of those 19 picks, the Texans got just four difference-makers: David Carr, Dunta Robinson, Andre Johnson and Chester Pitts. We can debate Carr all day long, but there are times now when he looks like a winning quarterback. Sunday's loss to the Cowboys was a huge step backwards, and the truth is, given the circumstances into which he was thrust, it's impossible to know if he'll ever be the guy the Texans thought he'd be."

Good job getting DeMeco Ryans and Andre Johnson... but what else? Not the track record I want running my team.

Next?

Why do you post stories that "MIGHT" be true?

This is from Pro Football Weekly and it is TRUE!

From PFW:

“When you look at Charley Casserly’s last draft in Houston, you’ve got to give him some credit. Mario Williams and DeMeco Ryans are Pro Bowl players. Eric Winston has been solid. Owen Daniels is emerging as one of the game’s best all-around tight ends. (Casserly’s) last draft was a helluva draft. The biggest problem he had in Houston was building the offensive line. He paid a lot of veterans in the supplemental draft that never panned out. But he has hit on high picks. Dunta Robinson has turned out to be a better cornerback than DeAngelo Hall. Andre Johnson has become one of the premier receivers in football. And he uncovered some late-round gems, if you can call them that — guys like (Buccaneers DE) Greg White and C.C. Brown.”

Simply because some idiot writes a sour grapes column doesn't make what he writes the truth. Houston really bashed on Casserly because he didn't draft Reggie Bush OR Vince Evans and he made the most outstanding correct choice and most likely lost his job for it.That's exactly the type of GM I'd want in Buffalo !

• 1 month later...
Petersen did a great job with the Chiefs - but lately the game has passed him by. I'm for finding the rising star GM. I think that guy is none other than Chris Polian in IND. Whether he would come is another question.

Greg Gabriel in Chicago would be good. Charlie Casserly did a good job in choosing the talent for the Texans. Phil Savage is a great talent evaluator and is from the Ozzie Newsome tree. Someone from the Giants front office would be good as well. I'd also take AJ Smith - he's a true and true football guy. Or Buddy Nix. Also Floyd Reese has a good track record. He is fiery though - so expect him to be gone in about 3 years.

While we're at it, can we fire Littman and Overdorf?

C

Good call, cale. :rolleyes: