Toast Whitner

bananathumb

Wow, you need to go back to football school, Dawgg. Scott doesn't have much versatility, but plays the line and the TE farily well.

You're right Scott certainly doesn't have much versatility. That he's playing better than Whitner despite that lack of versatility is further indictment on Whitner's uninspired play.

Fact of the matter is, you will stand by Whitner no matter how poorly he plays. I want to see him succeed just as much as the next guy, but it is what it is... <_<

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I've always supported Whitner, but he's needed to take the next step for a long time now and he hasn't done it. He's a good enough tackler and a viable starter, but that's not worth the #8 pick, considering how much talent was on the board at positions that were needs then are are needs now.

Exactly. While Whitner shouldn't be playing corner, on a regular basis, he has the ability to cover WHEN HEALTHY. If you noticed the way he has been running since he returned from the shoulder injury, you can see there is something still not right with him,. physically.

Dean, your effort in defending DW is nice, but without foundation. They say you can judge a draft after three seasons. Even though DW was injured, his play wasn't spectacular or befitting an eighth overall pick at any time. I don't understand how a shoulder injury would inhibit his ability to cover a WR or TE.

We can finally begin assessing the 06 draft, and as time wears on, realize how average it truly was. No significant starters on this team, with a bunch of safe picks who became below average to average NFL players.

The problem with most Bills drafts (both TD's and ML's) is that they couldn't find playmakers. Rather than take a chance on a guy (Antonio Cromartie was an injured CB taken 19th in 06) Marv and Dick went with safe picks. The result is average players who don't distinguish themselves. It's why this team is worse now than it was in 06 with NC and LFB playing.

Whitner hasn't looked the same, since coming back from the injury. But, I have never seen him play a bad game, until today. He wasn't good out there today. It is fairly clear that he really isn't himself, out there, and probably shouldn't be on the field.

But, moronic posts like bannathumbs, show no respect for the fine quality of Whitner's play for the vast majority of his time in Buffalo.

Sorry, but "the fine quality of Whitner's play?". Are you kidding? The guy has not made one major, important play in his career. Ever. He was a #8 overall pick. He is supposed to be a franchise corner stone. He is average at best. Go watch the first quarter again if you think otherwise.

Dean,

you are insane. I called Whitner out and you said I was wrong. Teams know what I see every week he plays, namely, he can't cover in the NFL secondary. It's so bad they have Scott playing the SS position because he was getting burned badly by TEs. I pointed out the Whitner on Gates vs. Scott on Gates. Scott actually makes a play on the ball, not on the receiver after he catches the ball.

You are insane and your limited knowledge of football is standing out more than ever before. When you first argued me you said it was because Whitner played so many positions, now it's because he plays different areas of the field he sucks? Give me a break.

He isn't very good except on the run. He's EXTREMELY below par otherwise.

Not 1 INT, not one PD in 2008.

Only 1 INT on an overthrow (he didn't make a play on it) and 1 PD in 2007

He isn't very good.

Dean,

you are insane. I called Whitner out and you said I was wrong. Teams know what I see every week he plays, namely, he can't cover in the NFL secondary. It's so bad they have Scott playing the SS position because he was getting burned badly by TEs. I pointed out the Whitner on Gates vs. Scott on Gates. Scott actually makes a play on the ball, not on the receiver after he catches the ball.

You are insane and your limited knowledge of football is standing out more than ever before. When you first argued me you said it was because Whitner played so many positions, now it's because he plays different areas of the field he sucks? Give me a break.

He isn't very good except on the run. He's EXTREMELY below par otherwise.

Not 1 INT, not one PD in 2008.

Only 1 INT on an overthrow (he didn't make a play on it) and 1 PD in 2007

He isn't very good.

FYI, you remain an idiot that doesn't know what he is talking about (on any subject, as far as I can tell).

FYI, you remain an idiot that doesn't know what he is talking about (on any subject, as far as I can tell).

Your continued efforts to reach for excuses to defend Whitner's sub-par play speaks for itself.

Sorry, but "the fine quality of Whitner's play?". Are you kidding? The guy has not made one major, important play in his career. Ever. He was a #8 overall pick. He is supposed to be a franchise corner stone. He is average at best. Go watch the first quarter again if you think otherwise.

Dean will defend Whitner until the end. Facts be damed!

He defended McCargo until the very end. He will do the same for Whitner. <_<

Didn't I say, in this thread, that Whitner play a bad game today?

Didn't i say that Whitner has play sub-par since returning from his injury?

Get your facts straight.

And, i never suggested that McCargo was great...only that he seemed to have potential, and was branded a bust too early by some on this board. Some of the same folks that branded McKelvin a bust at mid-season.

How horrid is that...he looks like Jim Leontard out there...."Marv Marv....get that Haloti Ngata kid...pick him, pick him"

Marv is a consensus decision maker. Jauron came in with running a cover-2 defense and wanted a stud Strong Safety (like a Bob Sanders) and wanted a fast moving DT in a 4-3 defense. Nagata was not a fit for such a defense and Whitner was. I think Marv agreed with Jauron from a coaching stand point.... Who is to say Nagata may not have failed here just like McCargo.

Marv is a consensus decision maker. Jauron came in with running a cover-2 defense and wanted a stud Strong Safety (like a Bob Sanders) and wanted a fast moving DT in a 4-3 defense. Nagata was not a fit for such a defense and Whitner was. I think Marv agreed with Jauron from a coaching stand point.... Who is to say Nagata may not have failed here just like McCargo.

You should stop posting and start watching. Stroud isn''t the ideal DT either and he's done fine.

To take that further, the team needed SURE THINGS in 2006 and 2007. While a team with solid starters may gamble on a "playmaker" a team with nothing needs to have players who they are certain will perform. Gambling on a potential playmaker that had issues, or might not fit the system, wasn't really an option for the Bills...especially with the first picks. (Of course, any player who plays his positions solidly IS a playmaker, but let's just put that aside.)

I think the Bills stayed conservative, but still got what many would consider a "playmaker" in McKelvin in 2008.

The team, mostly solid now, IMO, could use the addition of some big-play guys. But, if the D plays passively, and the Offense playcalling continues to be a clusterfuc#, you may never see the plays they are capable of making.

Can't figue out how this Bobblehead Doll ever convinced pro scouts and GMs that he was worth drafting.

Did you see how slow he was chasing Johnny Lee Higgins earl in the year? It took him three seconds before he tackled him IN THE END ZONE!

And SOME CALLED THAT A GREAT CHARACTER PLAY ON HIS PART!