Bills Game Not On In Albany!

Just yoking! But officially it is a Jets game on television there.

Still, why the disrespect for New York's only NFL team in New Yorks State Capital city?

<_<

I was in Albany two weeks ago. To the NFL fans there, the Buffalo Bills might as well be the Seattle Seahawks. Worse, no SU football/basketball fans in abundance in Albany, either. This I really don't understand!!

Good to be back in Syracuse, though!

Still, why the disrespect for New York's only NFL team in New Yorks State Capital city?

<_<

I was in Albany two weeks ago. To the NFL fans there, the Buffalo Bills might as well be the Seattle Seahawks. Worse, no SU football/basketball fans in abundance in Albany, either. This I really don't understand!!

Yeah... cause following SU football is something everyone should do. Get real...

<_<

I always see quite a few Bills fans out watching the games at the bars. This could be because they're never on tv here. But, anyway, I see way more Bills fans than any other team- even the Jets, Giants (maybe because people can watch those teams in the comfort of their homes).

I always see quite a few Bills fans out watching the games at the bars. This could be because they're never on tv here. But, anyway, I see way more Bills fans than any other team- even the Jets, Giants (maybe because people can watch those teams in the comfort of their homes).

Buffalo Bills fans watching games in Albany area bars, while Jets.Giants fans watch their games in the comfort of their own homes is a depressing thought.

Nobody's watching anything in Albany for a while. The power is out to over 200,000 customers and there's no word when it will come back. I wouldn't be surprised if some of us don't get it back by game time on Sunday.

haha! i have power! but i live in the actual city of Albany. It must be a bummer to be up in CP- but I guess you have power, otherwise you couldn't be on computer... do you ever go where the Albany Bills backers meet up there?

haha! i have power! but i live in the actual city of Albany. It must be a bummer to be up in CP- but I guess you have power, otherwise you couldn't be on computer... do you ever go where the Albany Bills backers meet up there?

Actually, no power in CP. (I'm at work in Colonie. :wallbash: )

10,000+ in that area w/o power and NG currently estimates that we'll get it back tomorrow night. That means no Sabres for me for the next couple of nights, either. :wallbash:

AlbanyBill/BuffaloWings - do you two mind if I ask a question?

I can understand the Buffalo Bills lack of fan base in Albany because of the Giants.Jets (and even the Pats) fans but why aren't there more Syracuse University football & basketball fans in Albany?

I can go to Buffalo, Rochester, and Binghamton and find TONS of SU fans in each city. But not at all in Albany. Albany is equidistant from Syracuse that Buffalo is.

Any ideas?

The Bills could easily have colonized the Capital Region in the past decade if they had appeared in at least one playoff game. Without any reason to keep a marginal fan interested over there, the good will they built up in the 90s has atrophied away to nothing.

You sure about that? I mean with the Giants training camp in Albany and winning the SB last year? When ever I go to Albany it's like people there have no idea who the Bills even are.

:wallbash:

Lucky you, i have the Bills game on.

The Bills could easily have colonized the Capital Region in the past decade if they had appeared in at least one playoff game. Without any reason to keep a marginal fan interested over there, the good will they built up in the 90s has atrophied away to nothing.

The new mag-lev train that will get people from Albany to Buffalo in an hour or less will probably revitalize interest fan interest in Albany.

:wallbash:

Yo Howard Pearlman, where were you in Albany? Curious how you came up w/ this reflection.

I can understand the Buffalo Bills lack of fan base in Albany because of the Giants.Jets (and even the Pats) fans but why aren't there more Syracuse University football & basketball fans in Albany?

I can go to Buffalo, Rochester, and Binghamton and find TONS of SU fans in each city. But not at all in Albany. Albany is equidistant from Syracuse that Buffalo is.

Any ideas?

You'll find SU fans around here, but my guess is with the way Siena and UAlbany have gotten better over the past 3-4 years, there is a lot more talk & hype around those two. Syracuse does get their respect, but those highlights come after Siena & Albany on the local news.

I live in Florida (previously Kenmore NY) and I work with a woman from Brooklyn, NY. When I brought up the fact that the Giants and the Jets play in New Jersey, she told me that New Jersey was nothing but a suburb of New York City. While many people who live in New Jersey work in New York it is a totally different state. Just don't tell that to someone who lived in the New York City burroughs.

Nobody's watching anything in Albany for a while. The power is out to over 200,000 customers and there's no word when it will come back. I wouldn't be surprised if some of us don't get it back by game time on Sunday.

Mine came back around 3:30 PM Saturday. I was long gone from the house by then as I took refuge where the indoor temperatures were above 50. I returned home around 6:30, 3 hours later when the furnace had enough time to warm the place back to 70. I then went down to the basement to sweep some water into the French drain. At its peak there was 2" of water covering the floor since the sump pumps don't work without electric & my whole basement flooded. I figure in a day or 2 the basement floor should be completely dry.

The worst part was I was planning to watch it on a new 46" HDTV and I had to postpone delivery so instead I'll still have HD, but the screen is only 19".

You sure about that? I mean with the Giants training camp in Albany and winning the SB last year? When ever I go to Albany it's like people there have no idea who the Bills even are.

There are plenty of Bills fans here, but the Giants are the most popular team by a wide margin-they were that way long before the Giants brough camp here.

Any ideas?

Because there are enough colleges & universities in the Albany area for the fans to support local teams.

Why would you expect someone from Albany to support Syracuse over Albany State?

Another reason is we're as far from NYC as Syracuse & have more of an NYC feel to our sports support than anything as far away in the western direction. I grew up around NYC & nobody gives a rat's @ss about Syracuse football there. Albany is consistent with the NYC fans.

Because there are enough colleges & universities in the Albany area for the fans to support local teams.

Why would you expect someone from Albany to support Syracuse over Albany State?

Another reason is we're as far from NYC as Syracuse & have more of an NYC feel to our sports support than anything as far away in the western direction. I grew up around NYC & nobody gives a rat's @ss about Syracuse football there. Albany is consistent with the NYC fans.

SU has a pretty strong following in Buffalo. I just thought Albany would be the same.

SU has a pretty strong following in Buffalo. I just thought Albany would be the same.

Go north, south, east & west about 150 miles from Buffalo & who else would garner interest from Buffalonians. Here we have NYC influence which leans mostly towards professional sports, not college & if we go east, there are plenty of schools in NE to gather the attention of those not interested in a local team.