Thoughts re Schonert, recent drafts, etc.

jahnyc

Some thoughts below:

1. Schonert is in his first year as offensive coordinator, and no one should be surprised that he seems overmatched at times when the Bills are playing teams with experienced coordinators on both offense and defense. I still don't understand why he was the choice, particularly because Jauron's experience is with defense, not offense. I hope it was not a money issue.

2. It seems that we overpay to re-sign our players and free agents. Kelsay, Parrish, Butler and Williams all signed extensions, and I don't think any of them are playing to their new contracts, particularly Parrish. Kelsay has played ok this year, but with very few sacks, most would probably say that he is barely average as a DE (or worse).

3. Our defense has played well the last two games, but it may be deceiving since San Fran and Miami could play conservatively knowing that our offense was inept.

4. Our recent drafting has been average at best. Obviously, missing with Losman, M. Williams and McCargo has hurt. I hope Hardy and Ellis are not added to the list.

5. It was clear last offseason that the Bills needed a number 2 wide receiver. Who thought (on the Bills staff) that Hardy could be that guy? All we hear now is how raw he is and that all he did in college was run very simple routes.

6. It will be another offseason wondering whether we really have a starting caliber quarterback. Can Trent play in poor weather? I have my doubts.

7. I think the overall talent level is better than when TD left the team, but still lacking. We need some all pro type players, not the average or slightly above average players we seem to have at most positions.

2. It seems that we overpay to re-sign our players and free agents. Kelsay, Parrish, Butler and Williams all signed extensions, and I don't think any of them are playing to their new contracts, particularly Parrish. Kelsay has played ok this year, but with very few sacks, most would probably say that he is barely average as a DE (or worse).

I know money is tight and they have to make personnel decisions, but, overpaying for players of average talent absolutely kills this team which is most apparent on the d-line.

3. Our defense has played well the last two games, but it may be deceiving since San Fran and Miami could play conservatively knowing that our offense was inept.

Man, are they ever.

4. Our recent drafting has been average at best. Obviously, missing with Losman, M. Williams and McCargo has hurt. I hope Hardy and Ellis are not added to the list.

Watching last night's game made me wonder whether Hardy will be another Jarrett. 6-4/6-5 receiver with huge production in college, lots of TDs but just doesn't translate to the NFL. Who is the last Harold Carmichael?

6. It will be another offseason wondering whether we really have a starting caliber quarterback. Can Trent play in poor weather? I have my doubts.

Yeah, big question.