Boycott the Patriots Game

Wow - I did not hear/read/see that one...If I had a Mitchell Jersey, I owuld toss it when I got home...that's a shameful comment for an athlete to make...

Yeah Bob Matthews in Rochester's paper mentions it in passing...par for the course.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a passionate Bills fan, but I am not at risk of blowing my brains out over them.

Amen brother - I think the analogy to WH Macy in the critically aclaimed sensation Boogie Nights is a bit drastic. Perhaps a Bills fan can be more likened to Henry Hill of Goodfellas fame. In the game, enjoyed a little glory, but in the end, never really accepted with the ultimate destiny of being just another also ran eating ketchup for pasta sauce...

I've never considered being a Bills fan "akin to buying a diamond ring for a slut.", even if the Bills leave town after Wilson dies. And fans of sports teams are allowed to still be loyal to them and B word about the quality at the same time, man. In fact, I have never met a fan of any team in any sport in my life that didn't B word about their quality when the quality sucked, man.

So I mean no offense of course, but now I expect you to be out there showing your manhood and having pride in yourself and being honest with yourself even if it risks getting arrested or pissing off some real fans that will actually be there to watch their Buffalo Bills play against the Pats, man. After taking such offense and calling out my manhood and my pride for calling your idea stupid (which of course it still is), you damn well better be out there fighting the good fight, man.

I mean after all your big talk, have some pride in yourself, man.

VJ - I sense hostility again. You and I both know, this is good banter, but in about 48 hours, we will see the first of many "It's almost Game Time" and "We'll win the Next 3" posts...and Bills nation shall rise like the phoenix from the ashes to an excited pitch for yet another Sunday...now if they happen to score only 3 points this week...well, we might see some real traction, dare I say a grass roots fan based riot in Orchard Park that gets the gangster in all of us fired up...stay tuned and relax would you?

I get the point now Pipe. You're now at the point where you start bragging about yourself to complete strangers that have no way of knowing whether anything you say is true or not. In my experience out here on message forums, that tells me you are either about 15 years old and just trying to get fans going, or you are an insecure dork who really needs these boards to feel better about themselves.

Either way, I won't be wasting my more of my time reading your ramblings. Good luck slaying your wind mill, Don Quiote.

VJ91, let me get a couple of things straight. I have nothing against you and I actually like the old timers that visit this site and bring a rich history and perspective to this often stale blog. But I respectively disagree with your philosophy regarding the state of this team and your sense of subordination to the perceived power of Mr. Wilson. Wilson made a $25,000 investment and brought a pro football team to the once thriving Western NY region (an investment that would make Buffet jealous). That investment has subsequently compounded into approximately $1,000,000,000, by the way, the market cap of GM. In that time, he has delivered zero Super Bowls, basically caught lightening in a bottle in the form of Bill Polian, who delivered him four hall-a-famers, and he still didn't win the big one. Other than that, it was OJ Simpson and basically long periods of futility including 20 something straight loses to Miami and now a 10 year playoffless skid (bookmarks that you obvious understand all to well) in a water downed league where even the Trent Dilfers of the world have obtained large ugly rings on their not so talented fingers. But for some strange reason, you feel obligated to Mr. Wilson and thankful to him for blessing your life with Bills football for four months a year. Honestly, good for you, your benevolence could have been used on Wall Street the past 4 or 5 years as we probably wouldn’t be in the state we are today. Fortunately, “life is a box of chocolates,” and I don’t look at it that way. I feel the best fans in the NFL deserve more from this man than what they are getting for their hard earned dollars and emotional currency. He has been a Harvard Case Study in mis-management over the majority of this timeline I covered in this response and he rightfully deserves nothing more than a big FU from the people of this great community that have given him and his family eternal wealth. He would get laughed out of the winter meetings if a boycott like I proposed would materialize; and that is the only way to exact a tiny bit of revenge on our incompetent owner as lost revenues from a meaningless game mean nothing to him.

Lastly, as this post will document, it is you who began with the insults and immature name calling like implying I am a narcotics user that should redirect my disposable income to the pursuit of more drugs and subsequent highs. The irony of the matter is that unlike you I am able to push myself away from the bong or crack pipe otherwise known as the Buffalo Bills! But don’t feel shocked, the first sign of kicking the habit is admitting you have problem. Come join me in the boycott!

Kipers nobody will be getting excited about the Jets game Sunday. The Bills are 6-7-0 and need about 4 teams to go 1-2-0 and two teams to go 0-2-1 to make the playoffs. We are all pissed off about how absolutely senseless this season has ended up. it's just that the vast majority of long-time Bills fans understand that sometimes you have to endure 9 years of bad football to enjoy 4 or 5 really good ones. You don't believe me, so I won't waste any more of your time arguing against your boycott idea. Like I told your buddy Pipe, good luck slaying your windmill.

Actually in true addict form, you keep coming back to this post as evidenced by the "good luck slaying your windmill" comment in two successive postings. Hell, you remind me of Keith Richards repeatedly chasing smack dealers after long periods of sobriety.

If you don't believe that sends a message, you're a fool. This team and owner are driven by money and profit. If people didn't attend (or better yet, just hung out in the parking lot), they lose money in concession (and get heat from their concessionaire); money in parking revenue; souvenirs sales and most importantly would be forced to question what they need to do in the off season to market this team. That shows them that their season ticket sales might drop (they better) and their good will with the fan base has evaporated.

Hit them where it hurts, right in their wallet. Afterall, the Senile Curmudgeon has shown over and over that aside micro-managing this team into last place year after year, he really likes money, as evidenced by his refusal to sell this team. If he were honest about keeping the team in Buffalo and true to the fans that have supported this fiasco, he'd sell the team. But he wants to milk every last nickel from it so his kids can have as much as possible. That's not a bad thing from a business standpoint, but as a fan, you should understand that and spend your money accordingly. If you want to pizz away your money committing your time and cash to a guy who's not coimmitted to provide you the highest return on your entertainment dollar, go for it. There is a time when people have to ask themselves: "Why am I supporting this team." Now is that time.

The fool is anyone who continues to realize the fact the Bills are still in Buffalo shows Mr. Wilson is anything but in this for the money. He could be making many times more than he is if he moved the team to San Antonio or LA or Houston (before they got the Texans), etc. Opportunities to do just that have long been knocking at Ralph's door.

That said, of course profits are important; without them, there would be no Bills, no pro football, no reason to be drunk in the middle of a Sunday afternoon (morning on the West Coast).

Causing the Bills to lose money they are already counting on will do nothing but inch the team closer to leaving Western New York. As unhappy as I am with what has transpired this season, I still want my favorite football team to be based in Buffalo next season.

Actually in true addict form, you keep coming back to this post as evidenced by the "good luck slaying your windmill" comment in two successive postings. Hell, you remind me of Keith Richards repeatedly chasing smack dealers after long periods of sobriety.

VJ - I am actually hurt, I thought that we had come to an understanding and buried the hatched in an odd Bills fan sort of way...but perhaps as the Pipe notes, you are drawn like Keith Richards to his brown sugar. Again, I respect your position in the matter, and would only expect the same courtesy.

That said, I have no desire to waste 3 prime hours this Sunday viewing the Carnage on the Swamp. A with the past 4 games, I'll Tivo and if reports are such that it is deserving of any time - I'll watch. Anyway, if my suspicions are correct, there will be more venom being spewed on this site Sunday at 4:00 or so and the movement will gain more momentum - Viva the Revolution!

Kawika Mitchell is on the record stating he doesn't care where he plays...as long as he gets paid. Trust me, while the players are disappointed, they are not even close to being as frustrated as the average fan is.

I've been looking all over the web for this quote of Kawika's. Can someone tell me where it is?

well regardless something needs to be done. I used to be afraid that if there was any perceived "weakness" in the fan base that ol' Ralph would use that as an excuse to justify moving the team. to be completly honest, if this is the product we are stuck with eternal mediocrity and shattered dreams, than it's not worth it.I feel as fans we have 2 choices to do our part and be proactive.

We can sit idly by and do nothing, and show our contentness for continued failure and expect more of the same.

or

we can attempt (however vain and fruitless it might be) to band together and collectively show our disgust for what our beloved franchise has become. If we dont "encourage" change, we will continue to be fed the same pile of hot garbage and told to like it. Sure there is the subconcious fear conditioned and embedded into our brains that it might somehow be the trigger to cause the team to move, but i feel the bigger threat is this team not being successful. let me explain..

I am in my mid 20's, all i have known my entire life as a bills fan is epic failure, heart breaking defeats, disappointing seasons and continued mediocrity. I was too young to appreciated the run in the early 90's, sure ive watched old tapes and vaguely rememberd the general buzz and highlights but i diddnt appreciate it.

This teams future fan base has been alienated and has no hope for success. I am a hardcore bills fan but i officaly think i am at my breaking point. I know i am not the only person who is in a similar situation. If this organization does'nt get their collective heads out of their a55's they are going to be alienating their future fans and eventually they will be forced to move due to lack of support.

I would at least feel better about trying even in my own little part to protest/wear paper bag/walk out/newspaper ads, whatever, at least i would feel like i tried to help correct their course.

my .02 cents.

I've been looking all over the web for this quote of Kawika's. Can someone tell me where it is?

Leo Roth referenced it in this week's banter with Sal Maiorana: "It was also distressing to hear Kawika Mitchell say the NFL is about making money and as long as he gets paid, he doesn't care where he plays. Nice attitude."

From The News: "But as right tackle Langston Walker pointed out, money talks.

"The Bills are making $9.75 million for each of the eight games that will be played in Toronto over five years. That overrules any opinion the players may have.

"'Obviously, the NFL is about making money,' linebacker Kawika Mitchell said. 'If that is what they are doing, that's what they are doing. Other than that, as long as they are making money I am getting paid, so do what you do.'"

well regardless something needs to be done. I used to be afraid that if there was any perceived "weakness" in the fan base that ol' Ralph would use that as an excuse to justify moving the team. to be completly honest, if this is the product we are stuck with eternal mediocrity and shattered dreams, than it's not worth it.I feel as fans we have 2 choices to do our part and be proactive.

We can sit idly by and do nothing, and show our contentness for continued failure and expect more of the same.

or

we can attempt (however vain and fruitless it might be) to band together and collectively show our disgust for what our beloved franchise has become. If we dont "encourage" change, we will continue to be fed the same pile of hot garbage and told to like it. Sure there is the subconcious fear conditioned and embedded into our brains that it might somehow be the trigger to cause the team to move, but i feel the bigger threat is this team not being successful. let me explain..

I am in my mid 20's, all i have known my entire life as a bills fan is epic failure, heart breaking defeats, disappointing seasons and continued mediocrity. I was too young to appreciated the run in the early 90's, sure ive watched old tapes and vaguely rememberd the general buzz and highlights but i diddnt appreciate it.

This teams future fan base has been alienated and has no hope for success. I am a hardcore bills fan but i officaly think i am at my breaking point. I know i am not the only person who is in a similar situation. If this organization does'nt get their collective heads out of their a55's they are going to be alienating their future fans and eventually they will be forced to move due to lack of support.

I would at least feel better about trying even in my own little part to protest/wear paper bag/walk out/newspaper ads, whatever, at least i would feel like i tried to help correct their course.

my .02 cents.

Your two cents translates into wisdom beyond your years. Well said!