Browns eyeing Marty Schottenheimer

buckeyemike

Chris Mortensen reports on ESPN.com.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. Granted, Morty (as a Steeler-fan friend of mine used to call him) has won over 200 games, most of them after being unceremoniously dumped by Art Modell after a "disappointing" 10-6 season in 1988. Disappointing is in quotes b/c the Browns went 10-6 last year, and Cleveland almost had a ticker-tape parade for the team.

There is a rumor that if Morty comes here, it's only for a couple of years, because he is 65, after all. After Morty gets the team on its feet, his son Brian takes over. Package deal is the story. Brian's only 35 (heck, I remember when he was a kid), but he's the OC for the Jets and may be anointed as the Browns' future long-term solution at head coach.

A note on Brian Schottenheimer: he's also a cancer survivor. He had his thyroid removed four years ago.

Interesting, but I have no idea if it will work. As for Romeo Crennel, he's probably gone by Monday morning, December 29.

I was listening to The Sirius Blitz this morning...people from Cleveland were calling in, begging Marty (who co-hosts the show) to come back and coach the Browns next year.

B-):bag:

Begging him to come back, huh? That's funny. 20 years ago they were probably thrilled to see him go after his Browns

lost their 3rd AFC Championship to the Broncos in 4 years! Those damn Broncos. Even though I always thought the Browns were a stronger, tougher NFC type AFC team and would have given the Giants, Redskins and even 49ers a better game then the helpless Broncos did, Marty just could not get past them and into any of those SB's. Here we are almost 20 years later and the poor Browns' fans are so frustrated, they are begging that same coach to come back again. Why not? Dick Vermiel came back so many years later and won a SB for the Rams in '99. The Eagles still had not nor have not won a SB so I'm sure those fans wished he would have come back to Philly instead of going to St. Louis.

Since Cleveland wants to bring back an ex coach, maybe the Bills can bring back Wade Phillips once he gets fired from Dallas after they miss the playoffs.

Hell, I would take Wade over the numb nuts we have now. No chance Ralph would bring him back.