Toys for Tots

blzrul

I read an article this morning that Toys for Tots (USMC program you know) is really hurting badly. The warehouse here in Seattle is virtually empty, at this time of year.

There are many people hurting, and it'll probably get worse, but a toy for a kid is something we can all afford. Doesn't have to be a wii...even a coloring book and a big freaking box of crayons (I remember how AWESOME it was as a little kid to get that huge box of 100 Crayolas....ieatcrayonz will probably agree)....

I'm gonna send a super-duper rocket-launching ninja GIJoe in memory of BiB. Or maybe just some tinker toys. :rolleyes:

Tis the season.

Postscript: Overstock.com has a section where you can purchaes Toys for Tots online at special prices. I think shipping's free too. Now I know what to do with all that money I was saving for playoff tickets.

UGH.

They could probably get alot more toys if they would accept slightly used ones. People can go through their kids toys and find ones they no longer play with that are still in good shape, and would probably be more willing to do that than spend money on a new toy. Wrap it up nice, and little kids wouldn't know the difference. When he was younger I would buy used Star Wars toys on Ebay for my son, and he didn't care that they weren't new, they were what he wanted.

They could probably get alot more toys if they would accept slightly used ones. People can go through their kids toys and find ones they no longer play with that are still in good shape, and would probably be more willing to do that than spend money on a new toy. Wrap it up nice, and little kids wouldn't know the difference. When he was younger I would buy used Star Wars toys on Ebay for my son, and he didn't care that they weren't new, they were what he wanted.

Maybe but I think a shiny, new toy means a lot to a child. It doesn't have to be a Wii.

Someone very close to me was "working poor" to where he qualified for hang his kids' wishes on an Angel Tree. The girl got a new doll, and the boy got a new toy truck. It meant the world to them.

The Salvation Army and others will take gently used toys.

I'll also add my plug for Operation Santa run by the NY Post Office (and in some other cities, through their post offices).

My wife and I have answered a few letters every year for the past decade. Its a great, direct-benefit thing you can do at Christmas to make someone's Christmas a truly Merry Christmas.

Many of the letters are from truly needy kids, asking for things like a winter coat and shoes. You really haven't seen true gratitude in someone's face until you show up and deliver gifts (they can also be mailed, at a significantly reduced rate).

Operation Santa

Recent News Article

I'll also add my plug for Operation Santa run by the NY Post Office (and in some other cities, through their post offices).

My wife and I have answered a few letters every year for the past decade. Its a great, direct-benefit thing you can do at Christmas to make someone's Christmas a truly Merry Christmas.

Many of the letters are from truly needy kids, asking for things like a winter coat and shoes. You really haven't seen true gratitude in someone's face until you show up and deliver gifts (they can also be mailed, at a significantly reduced rate).

Operation Santa

Recent News Article

And don't forget the older children. At this time of year all the focus is on little kids, and they ARE fun to buy for. But many families have teen kids and they often go without because they're harder to buy for, or their stuff is more expensive.