Gaaawwwd I Hate Notre Dame!!

Steely Dan

Notre Dame  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Nothing would make me happier...

• Than to see Notre Dame win National Championships forever.
    • Than to have Notre Dame lose every game forever
    • Seeing everybody shut up I don't give a crap one way or another.

Linkage

And there's the deeper layer of mean. Weis is being treated like this suffering is karma for his arrogance. The man can bring some hubris, no lie. In the spring of 2005, I was assigned by Sports Illustrated to write the obligatory new-coach-at-Notre-Dame story upon Weis's arrival. On a weekday afternoon I was ushered into Weis's office and given a seat across the desk from him. The only thing on his desk was a copy of a 2000 SI story I had written, detailing Notre Dame's problems in admissions, scheduling and, well, winning under Bob Davie from 1997 to 2001. The story was not well liked in South Bend and now Weis greets me with a copy of the article sitting on his otherwise spotless desk.

It was a pretty obvious attempt at intimidation, and all I said at the time was, "You know, I've written a lot of stories about Notre Dame, and you pick this one?'' But this was the first time I had met the guy and we were just getting started, so I passed on taking off the gloves. And Weis was cordial and professional in our conversation. That, of course, was 100 years ago.

There will be much applause in the mainstream media and the blogosphere when if Weis is canned, because of his condescension. You can count on that. I'm not sure Weis's attitude has anything to do with his failure to win big at Notre Dame, but it makes him an easy target. (If he were 12-0 right now, he could conduct press conferences holding stone tablets and a staff and nobody would care.)

When If Weis is gone, Notre Dame will begin another search for a savior. Considering the history, I say good luck with that.

:)

Nice poll choices. :)

The stories that are starting to come out about Weis' arrogrance (asking a HS football coach if he wants to take a picture of Weis' Super Bowl rings, his cockiness toward Terrell Pryor and his coach, etc.) are making me question whether he "gets it" enough to turn ND around.

(In interest of full disclosure, I grew up a ND fan. My grandfather got me watching them, because the woman he married after my grandmother passed had children who lived in South Bend and went to ND. So some of my earliest exposure to college FB was watching it with my grandfather. I still follow them, but am a Seminole thru and thru.)

Nice poll choices. :)

The stories that are starting to come out about Weis' arrogrance (asking a HS football coach if he wants to take a picture of Weis' Super Bowl rings, his cockiness toward Terrell Pryor and his coach, etc.) are making me question whether he "gets it" enough to turn ND around.

(In interest of full disclosure, I grew up a ND fan. My grandfather got me watching them, because the woman he married after my grandmother passed had children who lived in South Bend and went to ND. So some of my earliest exposure to college FB was watching it with my grandfather. I still follow them, but am a Seminole thru and thru.)

There's no I in team but there is meat.

"In the story, Weis screamed at a referee for a "bull----" call and yelled at one of his coaches to get the "[expletive]" off the field."

Oh the horror! What an @sshole!

:)

Weis may come off as arrogant and he may not be the answer at ND, but throwing these bits of trash into a story are just goofy.

In further full disclosure, I am not only a Buckeye fan, but also a Notre Dame fan.

OK, now that my approval rating just dropped twenty points on this board, I will say this: Give Charlie at least next year, when this "killer class" he supposedly recruited will be juniors.

To get rid of Weis is to do nothing but waste money. As far as high-profile coaches go, I fear that not even Urban Meyer could clean up the mess in South Bend right now.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.