Bloggers Wanted

ChevyVanMiller

As some of you may know I founded a grassroots group dedicated to the revival of Niagara Falls (Tall order, there) called Niagara Rises.

We have revised our website and it is now blog based. We're looking for writers to pontificate on a number of subjects pertaining to the Falls. If you're passionate about the Niagara Wine Trail, City Politics, History, Government, High School and College Sports or most any other subject pertaining to the Cataract City please visit the site and lay down your thoughts.

Here's a Linky

Btw, there will be a major press conference Tuesday morning concerning an upcoming Niagara Rises event. It promises to be the best thing to happen to the Falls since Marilyn Monroe hit the town.

"Come on up for the rising."

Represent!

The Falls is always home to me. Whenever I'm there it feels like I'm inextricably connected with NF earth. But what the f%ck have they done to that place! My aunt lives on 4th and the decay crept up past Main St. Good Jesus, those once beautiful houses look like Dresden after WWII.

As my people there are getting up in age, it occurred to me last time I was home in May that I may soon have no reason to return. It totally bums me out.

Represent!

The Falls is always home to me. Whenever I'm there it feels like I'm inextricably connected with NF earth. But what the f%ck have they done to that place! My aunt lives on 4th and the decay crept up past Main St. Good Jesus, those once beautiful houses look like Dresden after WWII.

As my people there are getting up in age, it occurred to me last time I was home in May that I may soon have no reason to return. It totally bums me out.

Aaron, You're so right about the decay and the problems. That's why Niagara Rises was formed. The group is about giving the people a voice. We've all learned that government isn't going to get it done alone.

Anyway, check the site on Tuesday afternoon and you'll find out why you need to come home next June.

And hey, go write a blog on life as an ex-Falls resident living in North Carolina.

Aaron, You're so right about the decay and the problems. That's why Niagara Rises was formed. The group is about giving the people a voice. We've all learned that government isn't going to get it done alone.

Anyway, check the site on Tuesday afternoon and you'll find out why you need to come home next June.

And hey, go write a blog on life as an ex-Falls resident living in North Carolina.

I'll check in out and put something in (San Francisco for the record).

Speaking of sons of the Cataract City. Where's the Dean?

As some of you may know I founded a grassroots group dedicated to the revival of Niagara Falls (Tall order, there) called Niagara Rises.

We have revised our website and it is now blog based. We're looking for writers to pontificate on a number of subjects pertaining to the Falls. If you're passionate about the Niagara Wine Trail, City Politics, History, Government, High School and College Sports or most any other subject pertaining to the Cataract City please visit the site and lay down your thoughts.

Here's a Linky

Btw, there will be a major press conference Tuesday morning concerning an upcoming Niagara Rises event. It promises to be the best thing to happen to the Falls since Marilyn Monroe hit the town.

"Come on up for the rising."

I suggest a Falluja type offensive

Are you living in NF now?

I'm from there (moved out in '94) and I hope your effort works. I'll check the link, and I wish you the best. My grandmother lives on 20th street and the place is a dump -- she has the only nice house on the whole block and I'm always worried about her safety. She actually encountered someone who broke into her house a few years back -- she cornered him and stabbed him with one of her good kitchen knives. Worked out well for her, but could've been REALLY REALLY bad.

start by getting niagara falls high school a real football program.the current coach doesn't have the attention of the kids. 60 plus on the roster only 20 plus show up for practice.coach bass doesn't believe in game tape to help his players learn. it shouldn't be a just basketball school.

Are you living in NF now?

I'm from there (moved out in '94) and I hope your effort works. I'll check the link, and I wish you the best. My grandmother lives on 20th street and the place is a dump -- she has the only nice house on the whole block and I'm always worried about her safety. She actually encountered someone who broke into her house a few years back -- she cornered him and stabbed him with one of her good kitchen knives. Worked out well for her, but could've been REALLY REALLY bad.

I live in Appleton, on the Eastern-most end of Niagara County. I was born and raised in the city. After college I lived away for over 10 years and came back a decade ago to find a city I barely recognized.

Writing for the Reporter brings me into the city often. Things are bad, but Mayor Dyster is a good dude.

When I started Niagara Rises I told the group that if the city was going to turn around we needed a "buy in" from former residents. It's okay to "join" the group from wherever you're living now. I'm one of the lucky few making a good living in WNY - I know there's many more former residents who can lend a hand both financially and with their life experience.

For the first time in decades there's a positive buzz. Again, circle the last weekend in June as the time to come back. I'll post the details of the PC here tomorrow.

PS- I understand your concern for your grandmother. Thank God she's good with a knife. :o

Okay, here's the update. Next June 25-28 we will be holding the first ever Niagara Homecoming event. It will be 4 days of free or reduced cost events featuring the best of the Falls. The idea is for everyone born and raised in the Cataract City to come back home on the same weekend. Why wait for your next highschool reunion when there's going to be a city reunion?

We have partnered with the successful Buffalo Homecoming and will intertwine the two events.

Here's a few links:

Niagara Rises

Niagara Homecoming in the Buffalo News

Niagara Homecoming in the N. F. Reporter

Niagara Homecoming in the Gazette

Homecoming Logo - WIVB Channel 4

Oh, and for those of you thinking about moving back there will be a job fair with over 500 employers and a real estate tour.

We're expecting over 15,000 people at the two events - be there or be square.