"Take your pick: Edwards or Losman in KC?"

Alphadawg7

If we had kept JP on a short leash in his second season, he never would have finished the second season.

JP is gone at the end of the year regardless of what happens.

Notwithstanding these past few weeks, Trent has shown that he can be a better QB in this league than JP will ever be.

FWIW, we should stick with him. I am confident that he will work it out. He was bouncing back after throwing those picks in the last game. He is a smart kid. I am not ready to throw the baby out with the bath water.

To all you JP guys that were complaining that JP just needed more time last year, don't you think that Trent should be given as much time that as we gave JP.

Sorry Peter, wrong on Trent being better than JP down the line. JP's ARM will make him a great #1 in his future team. Bills have tried to ruin JP (ala Todd Collins, the best QB Marv ever ruined,still in the league 15 years later) JP will end up having a great career.....Trents arm is much weaker, and not necessarily even adequate always. Trent can go 40 yard downfield....JP can go 60. Trent beleivers used to make the argument he had a great head for the game. The last 6 games refute that argument...Trent's head is no better than JP at this point. MY view...the season is not yet gone...every season is about winning games. Player development is a secondary objective. JP is the 1.9 Mil relief pitcher here, so what if he will be gone.....and if JP can't turn around the recond in two or three games, then lets see Hamden and find out about him this year. I have already seen the weak downfield throws by Edwards...and know the potential is LIMITED,

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't think the answer is to bring Losman back into the starting job. The organization has made its choice. Now it's time to let Trent learn on the job. I'm just as impatient as anyone, but you have to give things a chance to gel. Remember that there were quite a few people upset with Eli Manning's performance up until midway through last season. I'm not saying Trent is the next Eli, but it says something for consistency and allowing things time to develop. Something JP was never given, but let's not make the same mistake again.

You say coachspeak, I say spin and BS from Jauron. "Yeah, statistically he's not playing as well, but hey, he's not regressing in his studying." Brilliant.

I'm not sure we disagree. ;)

I really don't think the answer is to bring Losman back into the starting job. The organization has made its choice. Now it's time to let Trent learn on the job. I'm just as impatient as anyone, but you have to give things a chance to gel. Remember that there were quite a few people upset with Eli Manning's performance up until midway through last season. I'm not saying Trent is the next Eli, but it says something for consistency and allowing things time to develop. Something JP was never given, but let's not make the same mistake again.

I hate this analogy..."The organization already made its choice"...

How many choices in your life have you made that after you made it you realized it wasnt necessarily the right choice? Im not saying Trent is definitely the wrong choice, but right now, if he keeps going out and playing timid and scared, then he is the wrong choice. You dont stick with the wrong choice just because you made a choice...thats absurd.

EVERY WEEK YOU PUT THE PLAYERS ON THE FIELD THAT GIVE YOU THE BEST CHANCE TO WIN THAT GAME! PERIOD. If Trent isnt that guy right now, then put someone in who will beat KC and keep our season alive. Bottom line...win games.

Not to mention, runs like this can cause permanent damage to the psyche of a young QB...its not like hes having bad games, he's completely lost his edge. If you dont put a stop to this soon, it could ruin his career. Pulling him out, clearing his head, letting him start seeing the defense again and get his timing back would only help him...lord knows his confidence cant get any lower.

Not to mention, runs like this can cause permanent damage to the psyche of a young QB...its not like hes having bad games, he's completely lost his edge. If you dont put a stop to this soon, it could ruin his career. Pulling him out, clearing his head, letting him start seeing the defense again and get his timing back would only help him...lord knows his confidence cant get any lower.

Well said. Right now, every week he's getting worse. I'm not advocating starting Losman - yet - but the coaches need to be ready to pull Trent if he struggles in this next game. This isn't looking to me like a slump he's playing through; he's tentative and confused out there and may need to take a step back from the field to get his wits about him.

Not saying I agree or disagree with this article, just found it interesting read on ESPN.com

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-4-342...man-in-KC-.html

I like one of the comments after the article:

"If the pitcher can't throw strikes, go to the bullpen" The coach shouldn't worry that the guy in the bullpen is a free agent next year......JUST WIN BABY!!!

Arm, that's quality work.

Thanks. :ph34r:

I'm a fan of some of Poe's work, such as "The Raven" and "The Fall of the House of Usher." Some of his other work is just depressing.

While overall, I'm inclined to leave Edwards in and deal with his learning curve, the dawg makes a good point about shellshock. What good is he to the team right now, if he can't/won't throw a ball over 10 yards downfield until the last two minutes of the game? I really think that's why we were seeing open receivers downfield; the Browns DBs eased up after 15-20 yards, because they knew Edwards wasn't going to make the throw.

Edwards is currently painful to watch, and as you point out he's not contributing much to the team. But let's be realistic here: the Bills are not going to win the Super Bowl this year (sorry Senator). Given that fact, the Bills should use this year as a building block to success in future years.

So I think the Bills should use the next five games to help answer the question, "can Edwards work through this? Can he get his confidence back? Can he learn to be an effective quarterback when there are eight guys in coverage?" If you had some other young quarterback you wanted to evaluate, it would be different. But we don't. If we pull Edwards now, we might get one or two additional wins this season. And in exchange for those meaningless wins, we'd a) not give Edwards the chance to show us whether he's capable of fighting through this, and b) deprive Edwards of valuable game experience.

Another flameout like the one Monday night, and Jauron may HAVE to make a move, even if he'd rather not. (And as I noted a while back, barring injury, he had a history of sticking with his starters in Chicago.)

Jauron's philosophy of "stick with whichever player happens to have the starting position at the time" is probably sub-optimal in general. In this case I think it's a good thing, as it will likely result in us giving a young, promising player the chance to work through his early career struggles.

While I'm here, Chuck Pollock also has something to say about young Mr. Edwards:

That was a good article, and I agree fully with his implication that Edwards has lost confidence and has lost the decisiveness that had been his hallmark earlier in the season. Hopefully he'll bounce back.

A different article made me suspect that part of the reason for all those passes to Lynch was how he's being coached:

“He’s got to learn,” said Schonert. “You play those types of teams and you see Peyton Manning do it all the time, where they just play Cover 2, drop eight and he just keeps hitting Joseph Addai or whoever is the running back and that is his leading receiver. That is what happened with Marshawn (Lynch) and he got to that. It took him a little while, but he got to that.”

I don't want to read too much into those comments, but neither can I discount the possibility that coaching may be playing a significant role in Edwards' current timid play.