NYS Budget

D_House

The Democrat governor is calling for big cuts in the budget and the Republicans in the legislature are opposed. Business leaders support the governor's plans, while unions are allied with Senate Republicans, against the plans.

Anyone NYers with some insight into this situation?

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/13/nyregion...ref=todayspaper

Kenneth Adams, chief executive of the Business Council of New York State, said Mr. Paterson “presented a plan that makes difficult but necessary choices to reduce state spending to close an unprecedented budget gap that gets worse by the day.” He added, “The state simply cannot tax its way out of this crisis.”

Hey NYS Teachers Union. Thanks for all those magazines and ads in my mailbox the past few years telling us to vote Democrat. How ya feeling now? On the plus side, my wife now gets to mock her coworkers instead of being the brunt of the joke.

Kenneth Adams, chief executive of the Business Council of New York State, said Mr. Paterson “presented a plan that makes difficult but necessary choices to reduce state spending to close an unprecedented budget gap that gets worse by the day.” He added, “The state simply cannot tax its way out of this crisis.”

So the obvious place to look is education. Let's keep overlooking the bloated and overpaid state workforce. Thanks NY voters, you elected an ego-maniac and we ended up with Helen Keller as a governor. And I'm afraid that's an insult to Helen.

Hey NYS Teachers Union. Thanks for all those magazines and ads in my mailbox the past few years telling us to vote Democrat. How ya feeling now? On the plus side, my wife now gets to mock her coworkers instead of being the brunt of the joke.

So the obvious place to look is education. Let's keep overlooking the bloated and overpaid state workforce. Thanks NY voters, you elected an ego-maniac and we ended up with Helen Keller as a governor. And I'm afraid that's an insult to Helen.

The article does state that in addition to the education cuts, the plan calls for a 5 day pay deferment by state workers, a rollback of a previously negotiated 3% raise for state workers, the closing of juvenile detention centers, and cuts in Medicaid and health insurance benefits (NYS now pays 90% of retirees' health insurance!?!). All while avoiding tax increases. Seems like a pretty aggressive cost-cutting plan.

I've seen Paterson on national TV, and he does come off as kind of an idiot, but I don't see much to disagree with here.

Also, this makes it seem like he's willing to cut the state workforce:

Mr. Paterson could resort to job cuts if the unions do not back down, and he would say only that he was not seeking layoffs right now.