Cheney's Hometown Paper Endorses Obama

blzrul

(CNN)—With just over a day before polls start to close, Vice President Dick Cheney's hometown newspaper named their presidential pick — Democratic Sen. Barack Obama.

"It is a foregone conclusion that Wyoming's three electoral votes will go to Sen. John McCain. It would be easy for the Star-Tribune to simply agree with the majority of voters in this red state and endorse the Republican candidate for president," the Editorial Board of Wyoming's Casper Star-Tribune wrote Monday.

"But this isn't an ordinary election, and Sen. Barack Obama has the potential to be an extraordinary leader at a time we desperately need one."

The board goes on to commend Obama's judgement, criticizing McCain's conduct during his campaign and choice of Sarah Palin as his running mate.

"If the John McCain of 2000 saw today's counterpart, he wouldn't recognize himself," the Board wrote. "McCain is no longer a GOP maverick, or the war hero whose principles were unwavering. He has flip-flopped on issues ranging from tax cuts to torture in an effort to win over the conservative base of his party. He has waged a dismal campaign based on fear and divisiveness."

Cheney formally endorsed McCain Saturday, while at an event in Laramie, Wyoming.

"This year, of course, I'm not on the ballot, so I am here … not to vote for me, but I want to join daughter Liz, who is with me today, join us in casting … our ballots for John McCain and Sarah Palin," Cheney said.

Obama quickly seized the moment as another opportunity to tie McCain to the Bush presidency.

"I'd like to congratulate Sen. McCain on this endorsement, because he really earned it. That endorsement didn't come easy," Obama said at the Pueblo rally.

He added that Cheney "knows that with John McCain, you get a twofer: George Bush's economic policy and Dick Cheney's foreign policy. And that is a risk the American people cannot afford to take."

Echoing Obama’s latest campaign ad, the Star-Tribune’s editorial board commended him for receiving endorsements from "extremely capable leaders."

"It's good to know that he turns to the likes of Warren Buffett for financial matters and retired Gen. Colin Powell on military issues."