Another Great Idea by The Messiah

So here's a question. How come when it's Mexican citizens crossing the US border to look for a better life, the United States has no responsibility to foreigners, but when it's China hypothetically attacking Taiwan we have to look out for the little guy? Smells like hypocrisy to me.

The Republic of China is a sovereign nation with which we have formal relations.

The wetbacks swarming over our borders in an illegal fashion don't have the same status.

Thanks for articulating O's submission position to the PRC's hegemony in the Pacific.

as KarlFromEarthCrisis pointed out, it is ridiculous to take a 20 second soundbite and assume you understand what he meant.

he was talking about volunteer service corps, not paramilitary groups! :thumbsup:

You might not like the terms "national security force" to describe these programs, and you also might wonder (quite appropriately) how he's gonna pay for them, but at least deal with the facts, not a soundbite...

So volunteer service corps equates to national civilian security force? Um, ok... :wallbash:

The Republic of China is a sovereign nation with which we have formal relations.

The wetbacks swarming over our borders in an illegal fashion don't have the same status.

Thanks for articulating O's submission position to the PRC's hegemony in the Pacific.

So much for your American pride eh?

We have to fear China's wrath in our relations with them, so screw Taiwan and their quest for independence. But Mexico sucks balls and they have to suck up to us, so we can treat them like crap.

Very honorable.

We have to fear China's wrath in our relations with them, so screw Taiwan and their quest for independence. But Mexico sucks balls and they have to suck up to us, so we can treat them like crap.

Very honorable.

Naw we just dont like wetbacks :thumbsup:

Very honorable.

???

Don't you ever use that word again. My grandfather entered this country as an illegal alien in 1940. He joined the Navy when they were in desperate need for recruits and he earned his citizenship. That word is an intolerant, racist term equally offensive to Mexican Americans as the N-word is to blacks. He's 86 years old now, but he would punch your lights out if you used that word in front of him.

Don't you ever use that word again. My grandfather entered this country as an illegal alien in 1940. He joined the Navy when they were in desperate need for recruits and he earned his citizenship. That word is an intolerant, racist term equally offensive to Mexican Americans as the N-word is to blacks. He's 86 years old now, but he would punch your lights out if you used that word in front of him.

And he'd call me a gringo. Sweet.

My apology to you and your grandfather. I honestly did not know the level of bitterness that term engenders.

Thank you. I will do my best never use that term again.

My apology to you and your grandfather. I honestly did not know the level of bitterness that term engenders.

Thank you. I will do my best never use that term again.

Thanks, I appreciate it. It's not nearly as politically incorrect as the n-word, but it basically has the same connotations. And it's especially viscious when it's used against Mexican Americans who are actually citizens.

By the way, just for your information "gringo" is usually meant as more of a joking term of endearment for white people. If a Hispanic person wanted to insult a white person with a racial slur he'd call him a "yanqui".

• 2 weeks later...
as KarlFromEarthCrisis pointed out, it is ridiculous to take a 20 second soundbite and assume you understand what he meant.

he was talking about volunteer service corps, not paramilitary groups! :unsure:

You might not like the terms "national security force" to describe these programs, and you also might wonder (quite appropriately) how he's gonna pay for them, but at least deal with the facts, not a soundbite...

I think this is absolutely correct. The clip is out of context.

I think his vision for Americorps is completely unsound, but there is nothing insidious about it

So volunteer service corps equates to national civilian security force? Um, ok... :unsure:

The logic is that the interests of national security can be advanced by enlightened foreign policy and preparedness at home. This can best be done (so the thinking goes) at the grass roots through the Peace Corps and AmeriCorps respectively. In the early part of his campaign, he had as part of his stump speech a call for making those organizations as large as the DOD - he was never pinned down on what 'as large' meant, presumably personnel.

I'm not sure to what extent he is serious about this, versus just just being an issue-sidler, neutralizing his opponents by copying their policies. Kucinich, if you'll recall, had as a signature item the idea of forming a Department of Peace.

Note that volunteer doesn't mean unpaid, it only means you were not drafted. It's supposed to suggest you have undertaken a noble calling. You still get paid a salary in those organizations.

So here's a question. How come when it's Mexican citizens crossing the US border to look for a better life, the United States has no responsibility to foreigners, but when it's China hypothetically attacking Taiwan we have to look out for the little guy? Smells like hypocrisy to me.

Actually both are about money. Conservatives who don't want illegals are not because they work and want to work, but because of the tax grab they get when they work low-paying jobs, export US dollars out of the economy, receive free medical care, etc. and people don't like being STOLEN from. If Canadians did the same thing many people, including myself, would be equally outraged, especially with gigantic state and federal deficits.

I did want to edit and say that us attacking Taiwan is also about money and exports. I'm not justifying us defending them either, and would be opposed to it.

And for you to say that gringo is affectionate, and that wet-back is not is a lie. You know full well that is how it's used today. Your pseudo-outrage and calls for hypocrisy are laughable. I've called my friends mojados and they laugh, and they call me a WOP or guinea. Your grandfather and my grandfather's generation looked at it different and for you to pull out the outrage cards shows your ignorance of common language and that we aren't that generation. The word "Gringo" is an "offensive slang" if you look up it's history. That's why I hate the rampant "racist" card BS that people pull when it suits their needs.

So, according to the Messiah we need a civilian national security force that has the same funding levels as the military? :thumbdown:

Sound a bit like what you find in communist countries like China where they have domestic spies.

Is he serious about this?

You are still full of piss and vinegar towards him huh? hehehehehehe

By the way, just for your information "gringo" is usually meant as more of a joking term of endearment for white people. If a Hispanic person wanted to insult a white person with a racial slur he'd call him a "yanqui".

;)

Well, I find gringo offensive, so don't EVER think of using that word again, mmmkay?