21 Years Ago Today The Bills Traded With Indy For A Biscuit!

Steely Dan

I'm may get killed for this, so let me preface it with this: I love Darryl Talley, the Bills would not have accomplished nearly what they did without him, and his value in the locker room on the sidelines probably cannot be measured.

BUT ...

In my opinion, Talley was called underrated so much that he actually became a little overrated for his actual play on the field, and Biscuit ended up being VERY underrated by the end of his career because people put too much stock in sack totals. And I don't mean that in an Aaron Schobel kind of way. And along the same lines, Bennett was a far more complete linebacker than Derrick Thomas, who God rest his soul will go to the Hall of Fame for being a one-trick pony.

Bennett was worth every penny and draft pick they ever paid for him. He spent a lot of time covering tight ends at the expense of his sack totals, and he made the Pro Bowl as an inside linebacker one year because that's where the Bills needed him due to injury.

Talley was great and Thomas was an amazing pass rusher, but give me the choice and I will take Biscuit every time. If he had gone to Kansas City and rushed the passer every play he'd be the one going to the Hall of Fame, although he obviously ended up with a lot more team success.

Man, were we spoiled back then ...

Due to FA teams like that will never exist again. :devil:

Not to be a wet sponge, but offenses learned how to neutralize #97/55. They blocked him away from the play, making him run longer than it took for the QB to release the ball. The knee injury didn't help matters, either.

I really disagree with that. What reduced Bennett from a potential hall of famer to just a very good linebacker was lack of hard work. The guy was too relaxed out there on the field and on the sidelines as well. H was amazing his rookie year and it was a slow slide after that.

wow...I might get blasted for saying this but...I don't think Bennett was worth two #1's and a #2..maybe 1988's #1 and #4 but not two years worth of 1st rounders...

But I have also say that the Bills made it and lived thru it and went to 4 SB's even without the draft picks they gave away..so alls well...I don't think we'll ever see that magnitude of trade again in this era of the NFL...

According to the Trade Value Chart(Usually used as a guide for trades)......it was quite a good deal for us.

#2 = 2600

#14 = 1100

#26 = 700

#53 = 370

Total = 2170......plus Greg Bell

Add to that that one is supposed to use a round lower(2nd instead of 1st) if the pick is for the following year and it becomes a very good trade for the Bills.

#14 = 440

#26 = 320(2 years after)

#53 = 165

Total = 925......plus Greg Bell

In terms of the 3 teams.....etc,etc, etc it was a massive trade. In terms of basically giving up 2 1st rounders for a player(or high 1st round pick) it was fairly common.

MY Quote

We lost at home to the Colts 47-6 Oct 4th before the Biscuit!

I think Gary Hogeboom the ex-Cowboy started that game and had his career best game against the Bills.

Then we played the Colts on their turf with the biscuit and we beat them 27-3. Bruce Smith caught Sean Salisbury in the Colts end zone the announcer said Bruce was making Salisbury steaks!

Your Quote

You left out a very inportant fact: Not only did the Bills not have Bennett for the 47-6 beating by the Colts, they also didn't have Kelly, Smith, Smerlas, Reed, et al because the team that lost 47-6 to the Colts was the friggin' strike team with Dan Manucci & Willie Totten taking most of the snaps at QB. You can't seriously compare the 2 Colts games & attribute the difference to Bennett.

I was pointing out that the Bills beat them at Indy and that I recall the comment by the announcer that Bruce Smith was making Salisbury steaks when he caught Sean Salisbury in the end zone.

It was the comment by the announcer that followed Sean Salisbury through out his career at ESPN :D

P.S. The Colts did manage to get into the playoffs that year,while the Bills finished 7-8

The Bills ended that year at 7-8 and everyone knew the team was going to be so much better the next few years.

Cheers to Bill Polian. He brought in so much talent to Buffalo :devil:

I don't deny what he did for Buffalo, but could you as a coach or a owner sit there and look at a rookie that hasn't proven anything yet and say " ok I think he'll do good so I'll bank 2 #1's and a #2 on him now"?..knowing well that if he doesn't pan out you've just hampered your teams growth severely?..because if he doesn't pan out your out 3 day 1 draftpicks and you still need a LOLB

In my first post which you must not have read,I stated.

I can recall watching Biscuit and Derrick Thomas help crush Southern Miss in 87,Thinking man whoever drafts those two will get some incredible players.They were both laughing on the sidelines after chasing down the opposing QB and backs it was so amazing. (I saw the same type of laughter from biscuit a few years later at the Bills AFC championship games.)

Anyway,I can also recall being soooooo pissed that the colts had drafted him. Thinking OH MAN the Bills have to play this monster twice a year!!!

I'd have to say the scouts and Bill Polian also watched Cornelius Bennett in collage and it was sort of a "no brainer'. I'm so glad the Colts really didn't get to keep the biscuit and the Bills managed to steal him away

I <3 Bill Polian for what he did for the Buffalo Bills,so many HoF players on one team.

Biggest trade in NFL history is the Rams for the Colts in'72. That being said, I'd put this at #2 or 3 behind the Walker and possibly Elway trade.

10 players were involved in this trade it was very close to the biggest and as a Bills fan I say the biggest. Check out the Trick or Trade link above.

by IQFB.com

While not officially a player for player swap, the Baltimore Colts and Los Angeles Rams participated in one of the most unusual, if not largest, trades in NFL history. In 1972, Baltimore Colts owner Carroll Rosenbloom traded the entire franchise (players, administration, equipment, everything) to Robert Irsay the then-owner of the Los Angeles Rams for his entire franchise. No people or equipment changed cities, one day Rosenbloom and Irsay owned the Colts and Rams respectively, and the next day they’d switched places as owners of those teams.

In a strange coincidence, both teams would eventually leave their respective cities and relocate to play football in the Midwest. The Colts left Baltimore in 1984 and have since played as the Indianapolis Colts, while the Rams left Los Angeles in 1995 and became the St. Louis Rams.

An interesting note regarding Super Bowl trophies: The Baltimore Colts won Super Bowl V and were presented of course with the Super Bowl trophy. In 1972, when he traded franchises with Irsay, Rosenbloom kept the Super Bowl Trophy and took it west with him to Los Angeles. The Colts petitioned the NFL, and the NFL gave the Colts a replacement Super Bowl Trophy. In the legal maneuvers surrounding the Colts leaving Baltimore for Indianapolis, they were forced to leave the replacement trophy in Baltimore as part of the settlement. So, until the Colts won Super Bowl XLI following the 2006 season they did not have a Super Bowl Trophy, even though the organization had also won Super Bowl V.

Another connected story to this trading of franchises is centered on the legal help that the two owners received during the transaction. The entire deal was supervised by attorney Hugh Culverhouse. Culverhouse would later join these two as equals when he purchased the expansion Tampa Bay Buccaneers a few years later, he would go on to own them for a significant amount of time.

I can recall Robert Irsay being the biggest jerk and meddling owner ever. He gave Bert Jones a house when he signed with the Colts. little did Bert know that it was his house only as long as he was with the team (fine print)! It was one of the reasons John Elway refused to play for the Colts.

The best thing his son did when he took over the Colts was hire Bill Polian and the rest is history.