Rivers vs Brees...If you were a Bolts fan, would you be...

OCinBuffalo

Which QB would you rather have?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one:

• Drew Brees
    • Phillip Rivers

Checked out the Charges board, seems some of the fans were seriously annoyed with Rivers. I didn't see anything specific with regard to Brees, but clearly many are less than impressed with Rivers.

Here's some stats:

Drew Brees ranked #1 is passing(Rivers @3):

Link

Drew Brees ranked #1 in Fantasy(Rivers @6):

By NFL Network

Rivers has a better rating, but Brees has thrown for 500+ more yards and has a higher completion %(+5). Both teams are 3-4. If I'm a Charger fan, I thought I was getting rid of a guy who was "too inconsistent" in favor of a guy whose measureables were better, with a stronger arm, and who was less likely to throw that game ending pick. Not so sure after this past Sunday....

I wonder if AJ "fire the guy who got us here" Smith wants to put his decision to get rid of Brees and take Rivers on his resume as well? I also wonder if he will put this past game, and us stomping on the Chargers in the playoffs, if they get there, on it as well. :worthy:

Oh, and Trent is #4 in the NFL in passer rating, and #2 in completion %, btw. :wallbash: (In honor of LSI) But, I was one of those who thought we should have bet the house to get Brees. Looks like I wasn't that far off....

Checked out the Charges board, seems some of the fans were seriously annoyed with Rivers. I didn't see anything specific with regard to Brees, but clearly many are less than impressed with Rivers.

Here's some stats:

Drew Brees ranked #1 is passing(Rivers @3):

Link

Drew Brees ranked #1 in Fantasy(Rivers @6):

By NFL Network

Rivers has a better rating, but Brees has thrown for 500+ more yards and has a higher completion %(+5). Both teams are 3-4. If I'm a Charger fan, I thought I was getting rid of a guy who was "too inconsistent" in favor of a guy whose measureables were better, with a stronger arm, and who was less likely to throw that game ending pick. Not so sure after this past Sunday....

I wonder if AJ "fire the guy who got us here" Smith wants to put his decision to get rid of Brees and take Rivers on his resume as well? I also wonder if he will put this past game, and us stomping on the Chargers in the playoffs, if they get there, on it as well. :worthy:

Oh, and Trent is #4 in the NFL in passer rating, and #2 in completion %, btw. :wallbash: (In honor of LSI) But, I was one of those who thought we should have bet the house to get Brees. Looks like I wasn't that far off....

I think Brees is the better QB slightly, but I don't think I'm pissed if I'm a Chargers fan. That INT to Mitchell was Rivers' first in 13 quarters and he's been outstanding this year. The one thing Brees and Rivers have in common is that both their teams are 3-4 on account of the shotty defenses.

What choice did the Chargers have. They got Rivers after Brees had a bad season & they had the worst record in the league & Eli refused to play there. So Brees has his 1st great year, Rivers sits on the bench & they franchise Brees. The next season Brees has another good season, but then gets injured & now the Chargers, who could have franchised him again & then tried to trade 1 of the 2 QBs are stuck-some team might want to gamble on Brees with $, but the Chargers ability to trade Brees is out the window since he may have a career changing or even ending injury. Remember this: Miami chose trading for an injured Culpepper over giving a free agent contract to Brees. Now they have to choose Rivers since if they trade Rivers & Brees doesn't come back they're screwed. They can't trade Brees because he has no trade value with the arm injury. The injury tied the Chargers hands-they had to let Brees go and keep Rivers.

You can't even question the Chargers decision to get Rivers on draft day since that was a QB & WR draft at the top & none of the receivers was worth picking over a QB at #1 & they got a ton of value from the Manning to NY deal.

What choice did the Chargers have. They got Rivers after Brees had a bad season & they had the worst record in the league & Eli refused to play there. So Brees has his 1st great year, Rivers sits on the bench & they franchise Brees. The next season Brees has another good season, but then gets injured & now the Chargers, who could have franchised him again & then tried to trade 1 of the 2 QBs are stuck-some team might want to gamble on Brees with $, but the Chargers ability to trade Brees is out the window since he may have a career changing or even ending injury. Remember this: Miami chose trading for an injured Culpepper over giving a free agent contract to Brees. Now they have to choose Rivers since if they trade Rivers & Brees doesn't come back they're screwed. They can't trade Brees because he has no trade value with the arm injury. The injury tied the Chargers hands-they had to let Brees go and keep Rivers.

You can't even question the Chargers decision to get Rivers on draft day since that was a QB & WR draft at the top & none of the receivers was worth picking over a QB at #1 & they got a ton of value from the Manning to NY deal.

SD played everything perfect. They got LT by trading away the #1 pick to Atlanta (Michael Vick) and got Brees @ 32.... Worked very well.... Rivers worked out well and notwithstanding the bad int in the endzone on the weekend the game could have gone the other way. Frankly right now if anything the Chargers are weak @ WR, which will affect Rivers. The issue for both NO & SD is their defenses that are terrible...... Sunday in London will be a great game, wish it did not coincide with the Bills game.

A lot of intangibles need to be taken into consideration beyond the stats. Rivers won over the Chargers players last year laying with a torn ACL injury in the playoffs and nearly leading them to the Super Bowl.

I voted Brees though, and like Albany, NY stated, the Chargers did the right thing WRT to Brees suffering the injury. Nobody knew how he was going to come back from that injury, plus the money that was invested in Rivers...their hand was pretty much forced.

Also, Brees has a much better corps of pass-catchers out there: Colston is a Pro Bowl WR, and he's aided by Jeremy Shockey, Reggie Bush, and Devery Henderson. Rivers looks at Gates, checks down to Chambers and remembers he's hurt, and then is stuck with a bunch of also-rans.

Also, Brees has a much better corps of pass-catchers out there: Colston is a Pro Bowl WR, and he's aided by Jeremy Shockey, Reggie Bush, and Devery Henderson. Rivers looks at Gates, checks down to Chambers and remembers he's hurt, and then is stuck with a bunch of also-rans.

Don't forget about Vincent Jackson. He's a big guy at 6 foot 5 and he's having a better than decent season. He's actually been relatively good in the past, just hugely overshadowed by Gates.