blocking scheme?

mattypro89

I was just wondering what type of blocking scheme were running. I remember hearing that we had a zone blocking thing going but that with a huge line we were more apt to play man blocking. Are the Bills still using teh wrong type of blocking and do you think it will change during the bye considering there have been maybe two holes for lynch and jackson all year?

I was just wondering what type of blocking scheme were running. I remember hearing that we had a zone blocking thing going but that with a huge line we were more apt to play man blocking. Are the Bills still using teh wrong type of blocking and do you think it will change during the bye considering there have been maybe two holes for lynch and jackson all year?

They are using the 'let the other team blow by us or push us into the QB all day til they get winded in the 4th' scheme.

Worked like a charm for the first 4 weeks.

I think they're using a "light to no" blocking scheme.

To actually answer your question, we have been using a "Zone Blocking" scheme. It is the same scheme that Denver has used for the last 10 years (Shanahan).

Unfortunately, our coaching staff hasn't read the book on the Zone Blocking scheme as it is not designed to be utilized by a team who's offensive linemen are over 300 pounds. Effective Zone Blocking requires a small, quick, and in turn... fast lineman who can cover his zone effectively. Our linemen are too slow for this, and it is noticable by our lack of ability to run the last 2 years.

I still hold out hope that next week, we will see a change, or at least a trial period for a possible change.

We are just not playing to the strength of our offensive line.

Yes,

The Bills use a "Zone Blocking Scheme." It can be highly effective with quick offensive lineman who are average blockers. Buffalo has average blockers, but they aren't quick. This is why you will often see Buffalo have huge gains on some running plays, and the majority of other running plays barely produce anything. This scheme is a feast and famine type running game with the line we have.

It is very simple. Peters needs to shape up. Dockery needs to step it up. Fowler needs to be nothing more than a backup lineman. Butler is a blue-collar worker who is alright. Walker is a jack of all trades. He is decent at every position besides center at the line but not truly great at any position. Whittle we need to let go. Bell has tremendous upside but is at least two years away from cracking a tackle spot. Chambers and Preston are decent backups who are free agents at the end of this season.

Buffalo should use its first round pick on a guy with a nasty demeanor and knows how to organize a line. The best OC in the draft is Alex Mack out of California. This should be Buffalo's first pick.

I argee strongly with ShipUPride, our running scheme is not a good fit for our team. It requires the biggest line in the nfl to get up and move and then perforn reach and shutoff blocks that frankly they would not be good at if they had the mobility to perform them. Our running game is extremely predictable and is very easy to scout.

Most of our runs require our offensive linemen to step flat and move down the line of scrimmage. When they are failing to outrun the defense to the point of attack, they also cannot move the defense back because they are running parallel to the line of scrimmage.

This difficulty is compounded by the type of runner we have in Lynch. He is not a cutback runner with great vision that will make the defense pay for over pursuit by finding a seam and accelerating quickly into the secondary. He is powerful and has excellent leg drive after contact. Lynch does not stretch the field with his speed and suck blockers into the middle with his cutback ability. Instead, he patiently waits for the defense to fill the gaps in front of him and bulls in for three and looks like a hero doing it.

Lynch therefore is a better runner for a team with a line which attempts to make blocks and hold them to push the line of scrimmage up the field.

When I heard we were going to bring in a real fullback this year, I was excited. I thought finally we would have an effective scheme. Then I saw Darian Barnes shooting through the line only to be asked to perform finesse blocks downfield and on the backside of plays. I want isos, wham blocks, and doubleteams at the point of attack. I want linebackers cheating up to the line of scrimmage so they dont get knocked out of the play by a crashing guard or a fullback and then getting countered or burned on a short slant. Zone blocking a la buffalo does not intimidate defenses.