Is Edwards Injury Prone?

Pyrite Gal

Edwards Injury Prone?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Yes

• No

I tried to set this up as a poll with a simple yes or not answer and then I am curious what folks reasoning is. I have not done a poll in this format so my apologies if I messed it up and I would be overjoyed if someone with more computo skills did it instead if I mess it up.

I vote no, because he does not meet my definition of injury prone yet.

However, tjhe scary thing is that I think he is really close to meeting my definition and that is a real worry for this fan.

For me, a player is injury prone when his style of play and something about his body causes him to miss playing time for a variety of injuries from hits that I have seen other players shake off an walk away from.

A player may miss PT in my book because a old injury recurs or the original injury is not repaired properly but I still would not consider him injury prone as he doesn't come down with a variety of injuries from relatively standard hits. Jim Kelly had recurring bursa sack problems but between padding, an ability to tough his way through pain and a willingness to cortisone up I would not call him injury prone.

RJ on the other hand is the classic real world definition of injury prone. He was a gutsy athletic player for sure, but his gutsiness and escapability got him hit often enough and led to him missing PT for concussion, shoulder separation, deep bruises and even an injury to his chest from falling on the point of the ball that I easily label him as injury prone.

The concussion suffered by Edwards today is problematic to me since for the third time in his brief and shining career he was lost PT due to injury. One was for the wrist last year and a second was an injury which cost him a pre-season game. Today it was a concussion from a wicked hit, but as much credit as I give him for hanging in there and completing the pass, I think the team would have been better off if he ducked and covered and took a loss rather than hitting the pass but leaving himself exposed.

I thought he took the hit fine but did not protect himself well enough in the fall and I think got concussed not from the hit but from his head hitting the ground.

I think it is too early to label Edwards as injury prone, but particularly given he had a record of missing PT due to injury in college, if he has another hit from issed PT this year ane eveb next year I think he will deserve to be called injury prone.

I thought that was on purpose as a smack to those who say he is. :thumbsup:

It took me a little while to get used to the poll thingy. There is a title and then a place to put the question and then click to open the boxes and write each answer in. I think there's a limit of twenty choices for each question. You can put another poll question on there as well.

If anyone thinks he's injury prone after taking that hit then they're just blind. It's been four games without an injury and I think anyone taking that hit would have had a concussion.

Post-game "reports" floating around these Boards seem to describe a Trent with no real concussion symptoms, and that fits with what I originally thought when I saw the hit in slo-mo replay. He basically got knocked out by a facemask to the jaw, like a boxer might by an upper-cut. But if the game had been played on artificial turf, over the usual thin pad and hard cement underneath, like at the Ralph, Edwards most certainly WOULD have suffered a concussion, and very likely a fractured jaw. No give on turf like on natural grass. But that's my guess, now, in retrospect. Trent got cold cocked in the jaw and that is what got the brunt of the hit, not the back of his head.

He is definitely as frail as 73.4% of porcelain dolls. But I don't think you can expect any QB to get up from THAT hit. I don't think it was a symptom of being injury prone. The "deep thigh bruise" was and I'm sure there will be many, many more, but this was not one.

I tried to set this up as a poll with a simple yes or not answer and then I am curious what folks reasoning is. I have not done a poll in this format so my apologies if I messed it up and I would be overjoyed if someone with more computo skills did it instead if I mess it up.

I vote no, because he does not meet my definition of injury prone yet.

However, tjhe scary thing is that I think he is really close to meeting my definition and that is a real worry for this fan.

For me, a player is injury prone when his style of play and something about his body causes him to miss playing time for a variety of injuries from hits that I have seen other players shake off an walk away from.

A player may miss PT in my book because a old injury recurs or the original injury is not repaired properly but I still would not consider him injury prone as he doesn't come down with a variety of injuries from relatively standard hits. Jim Kelly had recurring bursa sack problems but between padding, an ability to tough his way through pain and a willingness to cortisone up I would not call him injury prone.

RJ on the other hand is the classic real world definition of injury prone. He was a gutsy athletic player for sure, but his gutsiness and escapability got him hit often enough and led to him missing PT for concussion, shoulder separation, deep bruises and even an injury to his chest from falling on the point of the ball that I easily label him as injury prone.

The concussion suffered by Edwards today is problematic to me since for the third time in his brief and shining career he was lost PT due to injury. One was for the wrist last year and a second was an injury which cost him a pre-season game. Today it was a concussion from a wicked hit, but as much credit as I give him for hanging in there and completing the pass, I think the team would have been better off if he ducked and covered and took a loss rather than hitting the pass but leaving himself exposed.

I thought he took the hit fine but did not protect himself well enough in the fall and I think got concussed not from the hit but from his head hitting the ground.

I think it is too early to label Edwards as injury prone, but particularly given he had a record of missing PT due to injury in college, if he has another hit from issed PT this year ane eveb next year I think he will deserve to be called injury prone.

is bolden injury prone. you saw the hit i dont care who you are if you get pile drived into the ground and your head hit the ground with that much force anyone would get a concussion.

we should be talking instead how he stood tall in the pocket knowing he was exposed and going to get killed and delivered a strike to the right receiver on time for a first down.

its the difference between him and JP trent knows where to go with the ball and gets it out in a heartbeat. jp does not know where to go with the ball and cant make quick decisive decisions and gets sacked and turns the ball over.

is bolden injury prone. you saw the hit i dont care who you are if you get pile drived into the ground and your head hit the ground with that much force anyone would get a concussion.

we should be talking instead how he stood tall in the pocket knowing he was exposed and going to get killed and delivered a strike to the right receiver on time for a first down.

its the difference between him and JP trent knows where to go with the ball and gets it out in a heartbeat. jp does not know where to go with the ball and cant make quick decisive decisions and gets sacked and turns the ball over.

What he said. :thumbsup:

Great Poll. You should be into politics ,maybe you arleady are :devil:

A politician would have said: I don't believe that question is of the correct answer but I understand why people might be of the wrong opinion. Send me money.

I think the difference between JP and Edwards is extremely good at making reads and acting quickly to make throws on reads he makes before the play even begins. JP on the other hand rather than having developed in this proactive style was trained and actually plays quite well in a reactive style. Particularly at Tulane and its turnstyle OL he was running for his life READING the play as he did this and reacting effectively enough that even behind this NOline he produced well enough that he was a consensus first round choice. He was evaluated pretty clearly as not being the QB prospect of the first three QBs taken in that draft, but seemed to be better than the rest of the QB field.

I think folks are making a mistake when they jump to the conclusion that JP cannot read plays, has limited football sense or that he is football stupid because cannot make read act in the proactive manner Edwards does.

JP has demonstrated a pretty unique ability to make athletic plays and still keep looking down the field while he is doing this (a real-world example most folks remember is a play last year where Fowler hiked the ball over his head and JP not only caught the ball on the bounce (an athletic feat given the oddly shaped ball and defenders with the play in front of them closing in for the kill), but even better he made this catch while looking down the field and he saw Gaines break free on this busted play.

He not only did incredible multi-tasking catching the bouncing ball without looking and keeping his eyes downfield but then threw an accurate pass (a little high but Gaines made the catch so it was accurate enough) which Gaines hauled in for the first down.

On this play JP exhibited a good ability to read the play and know where everyone was headed roughly (it was a busted play rather than a timed play so he and Gaines had very good chemistry) and he avoided any defenders even having a shot at this ball thrown under extreme duress. I think folks somehow drawing the conclusion that JP cannot make reads before the play are also shown to be wrong on the numerous long strikes JP has thrown to Evans. On these plays, JP clearly knows exactly where he is going with the ball before the play even starts as he has to release the ball well before Evans is in the spot to catch it, and JP makes the read that there is a good shot Evans is going to get to the designated spot well before the defender and he has shown incredible skill in hitting Evans in stride like on the long TD yesterday.

Does this mean that JP is the right QB for the Bills?

NO. Our O style which we rode to a 4-0 start is built around a proactive style which is not JP's style.

Does this mean that the Bills should alter their style to fit JP?

NO. I prefer the WCO style perfected by Walsh/Montana over the reactive style perfected by Holmgren/Favre myself. I think the Bills (TD,GW,MM in particular) blew it when they attempted however to mold JP (not a Favre but a Favre type) into being a read and react rather than a run and react QB. At this point it does not matter if we alter our style because JP has raised frustrations so high among fans who saw this him fail to master a style that is not him and even worse fall victim to a newsmedia happy to lambaste a QB so they can sell ads that I am pretty certain JP is done as a Bill.

It is perfectly understandable to me that many fans would jump to the false conclusion (IMHO) that JP is football stupid because he cannot play in the proactive style called for in the Fairchild nonfense and now amped up in the Turk offense. Football is simply a game which really does not require the level of attention I am others give to it in order to enjoy it. However, anyone who purports to actually understand the game should also reflect the conclusion that in reality JP does a number of things incredibly well. The problem for us is that they are not the things we want from a QB to run our WCO-type offense.

If JP is smart enough to sign with a team which runs a more appropriate offense for his style of play AND he is lucky enough not to get hurt (as we saw with TE's concussion yesterday and Wilfork's dirty hit last year any QB is at risk, I think he can do quite fine elsewhere.

The thing which is amusing to me is that some folks seem to find it impossible to like both Edwards and his game and Losman and his game at the same time. Both can work but the Bills seem to me to have made a clear decision to go with the WCO Edwards style. I think this is the right decision but anyone who pays too much attention to this game as I do also should understand that it is not an unreasonable chance that JP will prove to be unusual for Bills players in that I think he can do quite well if he gets into the right situation.

He is not sure thing (like any NFL QB prospect likely he won't prove to be a consistent miracle worker elsewhere) and this is why it would be dumb for any team to trade value to get him when one can sign him to a make-good contract this coming FA season.

This is a classic way of showing you have a crush on her.

Actually I am more impressed with your football knowledge. You just see things about the game way more clearly then anybody else on this board. Brilliant thoughts such as why the bills losing to an NFC team actually helps them out in the long run & comparing Edwards to a China Doll. This is the type of out of the box thinking that only geniuses can think of. I am really surprised one of the networks has not offered you a job as their top play-by-play man with brilliant insights like that. Well job young man :censored: