Ch 4 may get dropped from Time Warner?

Beerball

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uh.....yeah. That's exactly what they're trying to do. All major network channels are free.

What? I worked at several stations, and consulted for many others. They all have some sort of carriage compensation deal with the local cable systems. Some is cash only (a few cents per subscriber), some is an additional channel for local cable news (which they charge a small fee for), etc. While there are probably some local network affiliates that do not require some compensation from local cable companies, that has to be the exception to the rule.

Many cable systems supply a very minimal service, often the local broadcast stations (and maybe CNN). They don't give this service away for free. They CHARGE their customers to receive free broadcast stations. If they are charging customers for the retransmission of signals, surely the owners of those signals deserve some cut of the payment. No?

"Even over something as cheesy and minor as an NFL football game"

Huh? Not from Buffalo or a Bills fan I take it. I would love to call you a bunch of names right now. Clueless moron will do.

I guess you missed the :thumbsup: at the end of his post. Next to Lori, SiC may be the last person who should be called a "clueless moron".

You need to have your sarcasm detector tweaked. :devil:

Like the Boy Scout motto: "Be Prepared". If beforehand, your cable, or dish failed yet power to your tv remained, would it not have been prudent to have an antenna already?

BTW, if you have one of the ubiquitious 50-cent coax-to-pigtail adapters (I probably have accumulated 5 of them), a wire coat hanger, and some tape, you can cobble up an antenna.

All simple things to do. You don't even need an adapter, just one of those pieces of coax we all have hanging around. Screw or shove in one end, take a knife, cut and peel the other end of the cable, and tape up the ends of your coat hanger to the coax conducting wrap and core.

Gawd - what a bunch of whining folks so many have become...any bump in the road, it's "somebody is screwing me and somebody else has to pay".

Even over something as cheesy and minor as an NFL football game... :thumbsup:

I am a Time Warner subscriber in Eggertsville. I did exactly what stuckincincy described. I had a coax-to-pigtail adapter lying around. I get channel 4.1 (the digital broadcast of WIVB) WITHOUT even using a coat hanger.

Thanks, SIC!

Uh.....yeah. That's exactly what they're trying to do. All major network channels are free.

That is not true. "Free" TV stations have the right to charge for retransmission, and most do. The ones that don't are subject to FCC "must carry" rights. Almost all networks that are affiliates of the major networks ask for a fee from cable and satellite companies.

However, LIN are a bunch of SOBs. DirecTV had a lot of trouble trying to acquire the rights to air their HD networks - took them almost a year to do so. Charter, Comcast, and Dish Network have at some point had trouble negotiating with them. While I dislike cable companies, I think you can safely blame LIN on this one.

Well, just got in from a night at the Lafayette Tap Room and there were at least 30-40 Verizon trucks at the Hampton Inn in West Seneca and I can only assume they are from out of town to handle the multitudes switching to FIOS because of this debacle. If TWC is not losing customers hand over fist yet, they soon will be if they don't reach an agreement. People can't take direct retribution against LIN but they sure can against TWC, and it looks like they are.

I do not get all these people that are trashing Time Warner on this one. Time Warner, when carrying channel 4 and 23 increase the viewership of those stations. By increasing the viewership, LinTV can charge more to advertisers for commercials. Therefore, LinTV is already being paid for Time Warner carrying their stations.

As far as everyone saying to switch to satellite: I went to the website that was linked to on wivb’s website. After inputting my information to get a quote on the package that I get from Time Warner with all the extra channels and boxes, they want $595.00 setup, then want to charge way more per month after the “4 free months” (that still would cost me $100.00 per month) than Time Warner charges me. On top of that, that would only cover 4 of the 6 rooms I have TVs in. No, I do not have 6 TVs ever on at once, but it should be MY choice where in my house I choose to watch TV. And I should never have to watch the exact same thing on 2 TVs at once if I choose not to. On top of all that, my sister has satellite and only lives about a mile away from me. She always complains about how when it is snowing or raining real bad, her picture quality is terrible or totally out. Yeah, really worth it.

As far as Verizon: First of all, Verizon customer service has ALWAYS been the worst EVER!!! Why would I think that just because they offer TV now, their customer service would change. Second, even though they are constantly calling me and knocking at my door, their service isn’t even available to me yet. Still they keep bugging me and trying to get me to SIGN A CONTRACT. Third, one of the many times they have called, I figured I would humor myself and ask a few questions. Sure, their initial package is a little cheaper than Time Warner. Then I started asking about the extra HD-DVRs and extra boxes I have. They told me that “sure, that would cause some extra charges”. When pressing them on how much, their response was “well we can discuss that later”. They want me to sign a contract, but are reluctant to tell me exactly how much it would cost. After still pushing further, I finally got a quote. Low and behold, they are more money (about $25 per month more) for the exact same service I receive from Time Warner (minus one channel, NFL Network). To me, the NFL Network is not worth $25 per month.

With all that said, I’m glad Time Warner is taking a stance against Lin TV. In the long run, it will benefit me, the customer. Something that Lin TV, Dish Network, and Verizon FiOS do not care about. For now, I went and got my free antenna so I can watch the Bills and some other shows I do watch on CBS. I can deal with the inconvenience for now.

i also live in Jamestown and while Channel 4 (WIVB-Bufalo) and 5 (WSEE-Erie) both were scheduled to show the Bills game, only channel 4 actually did. "Non-Duplication" laws prevented Channel 5 from showing the game as well. I am unsure how this will affect channel 5 going forward, but i was told that in "dual" market towns like Jamestown, the game will be blacked out on channel 5 - bottom line is this sucks !!

Looks like you Jamestown guys better get some good rabbit ears!

Thats not what I said, I just checked with directv and my local channels are still not available, I'm not in Buffalo ,NY, I'm in PA.

I'm not disputing what you say about getting a waiver, you could be right about that, it was a friend who told me it cost extra to get the local east coast Feeds.

When I turned Directv on a couple of years ago, I had to leave TW on also because they would black out my Bills game on Sunday ticket because WSEE was showing it.

Something else Directv failed to mention at the time.

My mistake, I thought you meant Erie County NY (Buffalo). Erie Pa. should get locals soon if they don't already. DTV launched a new Sat & is making a push to get locals to 99% of the country soon. As far as blackouts on Sunday ticket, DTV states games televised OTA in your market will be blacked out. They will be shown on the Ticket in HD if they are not in HD local OTA.

I do not get all these people that are trashing Time Warner on this one. Time Warner, when carrying channel 4 and 23 increase the viewership of those stations. By increasing the viewership, LinTV can charge more to advertisers for commercials. Therefore, LinTV is already being paid for Time Warner carrying their stations.

As far as everyone saying to switch to satellite: I went to the website that was linked to on wivb’s website. After inputting my information to get a quote on the package that I get from Time Warner with all the extra channels and boxes, they want $595.00 setup, then want to charge way more per month after the “4 free months” (that still would cost me $100.00 per month) than Time Warner charges me. On top of that, that would only cover 4 of the 6 rooms I have TVs in. No, I do not have 6 TVs ever on at once, but it should be MY choice where in my house I choose to watch TV. And I should never have to watch the exact same thing on 2 TVs at once if I choose not to. On top of all that, my sister has satellite and only lives about a mile away from me. She always complains about how when it is snowing or raining real bad, her picture quality is terrible or totally out. Yeah, really worth it.

As far as Verizon: First of all, Verizon customer service has ALWAYS been the worst EVER!!! Why would I think that just because they offer TV now, their customer service would change. Second, even though they are constantly calling me and knocking at my door, their service isn’t even available to me yet. Still they keep bugging me and trying to get me to SIGN A CONTRACT. Third, one of the many times they have called, I figured I would humor myself and ask a few questions. Sure, their initial package is a little cheaper than Time Warner. Then I started asking about the extra HD-DVRs and extra boxes I have. They told me that “sure, that would cause some extra charges”. When pressing them on how much, their response was “well we can discuss that later”. They want me to sign a contract, but are reluctant to tell me exactly how much it would cost. After still pushing further, I finally got a quote. Low and behold, they are more money (about $25 per month more) for the exact same service I receive from Time Warner (minus one channel, NFL Network). To me, the NFL Network is not worth $25 per month.

With all that said, I’m glad Time Warner is taking a stance against Lin TV. In the long run, it will benefit me, the customer. Something that Lin TV, Dish Network, and Verizon FiOS do not care about. For now, I went and got my free antenna so I can watch the Bills and some other shows I do watch on CBS. I can deal with the inconvenience for now.

Are you talking DTV or Dish? I'm SURE you could get a much better deal than that if you choose to switch to either. Dish & FIOS both offer multiroom DVRs that can show different channels at the same time to different TV's. DTV does not offer this YET, but you can hook up more than 1 TV to the DVR you just have to watch this same thing on both TV's & as you said you don't have them on at the same time. If your sister is losing her picture, she should call her provider. It is the result of a bad install (they do happen). I live in SW Fla where we get a LOT of HEAVY rainfall & rarely lose my picture, if I do it is for only a couple mins. I lost service for much longer periods with Comcast Cable. As far as Verizon, I have them for my phone & DSL. I have been very happy with their service. They just ran fiberoptic cable down my street, they called me about switching to FIOS, were very polite, & explained EVERYTHING about their service including the cost. I will stay with DTV for now but if I leave it will be for FIOS.

Looks like you Jamestown guys better get some good rabbit ears!

Wrong, Jamestown is outside the 35 mile FCC blackout range, we will get the Erie feed of the game. Unfortunately for myfriends in Fredonia and Silver Creek, you guys aren't so lucky. You're too close to Buffalo and fall under the blackout.

While there is, now, a symbiotic relationship between local stations and cable systems, households with cable (or satellite) are LESS likely to watch WIVB, than those who simply view TV off the air.

Seriously, people, this situation is far more complicated (and involves many more historical issues) than almost any of you seem to understand (or care to acknowledge) . But, I think you can understand this: Both sides are losing money, a lot of money, because there is no agreement between WIVB and TW. Doesn't that suggest there are mistakes being made by both companies here?

As far as everyone saying to switch to satellite: I went to the website that was linked to on wivb's website. After inputting my information to get a quote on the package that I get from Time Warner with all the extra channels and boxes, they want $595.00 setup, then want to charge way more per month after the "4 free months" (that still would cost me $100.00 per month) than Time Warner charges me. On top of that, that would only cover 4 of the 6 rooms I have TVs in. No, I do not have 6 TVs ever on at once, but it should be MY choice where in my house I choose to watch TV. And I should never have to watch the exact same thing on 2 TVs at once if I choose not to. On top of all that, my sister has satellite and only lives about a mile away from me. She always complains about how when it is snowing or raining real bad, her picture quality is terrible or totally out. Yeah, really worth it.

You can definitely get cheaper than $595 for setup. And if you seriously have more than 6 TVs that all need HD DVRs on them, then I think you might have a TV addiction and should seek help :devil: You should look into modulation (talk to Spider, he has a slick setup) instead of buying an individual receiver for each TV. It'd be MUCH cheaper because you wouldn't need to pay the monthly receiver fees for as many TVs.

Of course the fact that you ended with "My sister has sat and hates it," leads me to believe you're a troll. But in case you're not - your sister must not have the dish aligned properly. Check the signal strength on a sunny day. It should be in the 90s. If it's not, the dish isn't aligned properly. In addition, the new 5LNB dishes seem to resist rain fade very well. We had a torrential downpour a couple of weeks ago that knocked out the power -- but my HD DVR never lost signal (yay for the UPS it's plugged into :thumbsup: ). My signal strengths are generally around 95-100 on a sunny day.

You can definitely get cheaper than $595 for setup. And if you seriously have more than 6 TVs that all need HD DVRs on them, then I think you might have a TV addiction and should seek help :devil: You should look into modulation (talk to Spider, he has a slick setup) instead of buying an individual receiver for each TV. It'd be MUCH cheaper because you wouldn't need to pay the monthly receiver fees for as many TVs.

Of course the fact that you ended with "My sister has sat and hates it," leads me to believe you're a troll. But in case you're not - your sister must not have the dish aligned properly. Check the signal strength on a sunny day. It should be in the 90s. If it's not, the dish isn't aligned properly. In addition, the new 5LNB dishes seem to resist rain fade very well. We had a torrential downpour a couple of weeks ago that knocked out the power -- but my HD DVR never lost signal (yay for the UPS it's plugged into :thumbsup: ). My signal strengths are generally around 95-100 on a sunny day.

He just may be a troll, Fez. His interpretation of the TW/WIVB situation makes it look like he has come here (was sent here) to spread disinformation.

Thats not what I said, I just checked with directv and my local channels are still not available, I'm not in Buffalo ,NY, I'm in PA.

I'm not disputing what you say about getting a waiver, you could be right about that, it was a friend who told me it cost extra to get the local east coast Feeds.

When I turned Directv on a couple of years ago, I had to leave TW on also because they would black out my Bills game on Sunday ticket because WSEE was showing it.

Something else Directv failed to mention at the time.

I have east coast CBS and Fox and don't pay anything extra... :thumbsup:

Wrong, Jamestown is outside the 35 mile FCC blackout range, we will get the Erie feed of the game. Unfortunately for myfriends in Fredonia and Silver Creek, you guys aren't so lucky. You're too close to Buffalo and fall under the blackout.

This is true...