Anyone else love the Whitner late hit on Higgins?

Not really what the NFL rules committee envisoned, I'm sure-- i.e., basically you can accept a penalty for taunting or pummel the guy and it's off-setting.

:thumbsup:

I'm guessing he wouldn't have bothered to throw the flag for taunting, had Whitner simply stopped. But, he HAD to throw the flag on Whitner, so he made both calls.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whitner didn't get toasted, he wasn't involved in covering Higgins, on that play. What game were you watching?

Whitner made one of the very few mistakes i have ever seen him make, on that play though. He took a bad angle to the WR, and then had to chase him.

If I thought you would understand, or that it would make a difference, I would explain why Whitner doesn't have as many INTs as lesser Safeties. Hint: Watch how the Bills use him, in the defense.

The win was unreal and the Bills are FOR real! But I just don't get the OVER THE TOP love for Donte. Is he a good player? He is a very average player. His ball skills are not good at all. You cannot argue the fact that he is never around the ball when it is in the air. When he is down in the box he is to small to make a difference. His best skill... not giving up the big one and leadership?

So lets get to the hit. There was no HIT!!! He dove at his ankles and TACKLED the guy when he wasnt lookin. Is that a statement? Remember what G. Teague did to TO when he stood on that POS star in Dallas? That was a message! OLineman ripping defenders off of their RB's and QB's is a statement! Tackling a guy around the ankles is hardly a statement. He is getting way to much credit for showing his frustration after taking a bad angle (along with Ko) and making a dumb play.

Lastly and please don't think that I am being sarcastic, why does he never get his hand on the ball? Please explain to me how the Bills are using him? Did you ever think the Bills no he has serious limitations and that is why he is not used like the other elite safties?

Look, I love the Bills and I respect your opinions but lets quit talking about DW like he is Ronnie Lott!

The win was unreal and the Bills are FOR real! But I just don't get the OVER THE TOP love for Donte. Is he a good player? He is a very average player. His ball skills are not good at all. You cannot argue the fact that he is never around the ball when it is in the air. When he is down in the box he is to small to make a difference. His best skill... not giving up the big one and leadership?

So lets get to the hit. There was no HIT!!! He dove at his ankles and TACKLED the guy when he wasnt lookin. Is that a statement? Remember what G. Teague did to TO when he stood on that POS star in Dallas? That was a message! OLineman ripping defenders off of their RB's and QB's is a statement! Tackling a guy around the ankles is hardly a statement. He is getting way to much credit for showing his frustration after taking a bad angle (along with Ko) and making a dumb play.

Lastly and please don't think that I am being sarcastic, why does he never get his hand on the ball? Please explain to me how the Bills are using him? Did you ever think the Bills no he has serious limitations and that is why he is not used like the other elite safties?

Look, I love the Bills and I respect your opinions but lets quit talking about DW like he is Ronnie Lott!

Welcome. Not a strong first post, IMO...but what the heck.

The Bills haven't used Whitner the way Indy does Sanders, as an example. He isn't allowed to free-lance the way many safeties are. He almost always has a primary responsibility. Because of this, he's not making the ESPN highlights you may equate with greatness.

Watch his total game and you will may better appreciate what he brings to the team.

I was proud of him for doing that. Yeah it was illegal and probably poor sportsmanship, but like others have pointed out it shows that this team has fire. A fire that the Bills have lacked in previous years. THIS team isn't going to take its starting QB getting knocked out of the game with a cheap shot.

the flag was on russell, wasn't it?

You may be right. According to Bucky Gleason:

"Raiders quarterback JaMarcus Russell took a ridiculous penalty for overreacting to the TD, offsetting Donte Whitner's penalty for unnecessary roughness after Higgins' touchdown."

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/444924.html

That is certainly news to me.

Whitner and Simpson both got smoked on that TD to #15. I'm still trying to figure why Whitner tackled the dude 10 yards in the end zone. I realize the WR slowed down at about the 10 yard line but come on. It's not like the whole T.O.- George Teague thing when TO stomped on the Dallas star at the 50 yard line then rightfully was slammed by Teague. I expected more composure from a guy who's one of our leader's on D. And I will maintain he's a better leader than player for what that's worth.

Poz is actually the one that blew the play. He was in position to make it and he just whiffed with his arm. He should have knocked the ball down.

Does anyone think that if Whitner didn't tackle him that the ref would have still called the taunting call on Higgins? I am not sure.

It could have been Youboty who also blew the play. He was lined up against Higgins in the slot, but jumped to the outside when Higgins made his move to the inside. Whether that was Youboty's assignment or not, it looks like he 'released' Higgins to Poz a second too early.

Whitner and Simpson both got smoked on that TD to #15. I'm still trying to figure why Whitner tackled the dude 10 yards in the end zone. I realize the WR slowed down at about the 10 yard line but come on. It's not like the whole T.O.- George Teague thing when TO stomped on the Dallas star at the 50 yard line then rightfully was slammed by Teague. I expected more composure from a guy who's one of our leader's on D. And I will maintain he's a better leader than player for what that's worth.

He was making a point. That was also what I think turned the game around for us. F*ck the nice guy stuff, that's the attitude we've been needing.

I loved every part of that play!

It could have been Youboty who also blew the play. He was lined up against Higgins in the slot, but jumped to the outside when Higgins made his move to the inside. Whether that was Youboty's assignment or not, it looks like he 'released' Higgins to Poz a second too early.

That seemed to be the result of many things happening, at the same time, on that play. I doubt one play like that gets those results in 100 tries.

Every little thing that could go wrong, did, and the pass was pinpoint perfect to a guy in full stride.

I was at the game and said to my buddy after that tackle "that was a statement by Whitner." I liked it. Showed that he didn't take kindly to the showboating and that the team means business. Sometimes, it's those types of actions that "lead" a team. Great move on his part.

I remember a couple of seasons ago one our DB's was saying that he liked chad johnson's celebrations and wouldn't be offended if he did it against us. Screw that, l love whitner's attitude towards this thing. I think it got the whole team pumped up. Plus it didn't hurt us in anyway. Whitner, in my opinion, is one of the main leaders of this team.

Didn't care for this thread?:

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showtopic=72438

Whitner took a bad angle, but wasn't responsible for the coverage on that play. Poz went for the tip and missed, and several other things happened.

the endzone hit was awesome, though.

I loved every part of that play!

It could have been a huge 15 yard penalty on the ensuing kickoff. Fortunately, there were off setting penalties on the play because the WR acted like a jackass after Whitner's tackle.

That seemed to be the result of many things happening, at the same time, on that play. I doubt one play like that gets those results in 100 tries.

Every little thing that could go wrong, did, and the pass was pinpoint perfect to a guy in full stride.

Yup. Poz missed the ball by a millimeter. Both safeties took a bad angle. Higgins was in perfect stride. And no doubt more happened.