Lynch TD vs Jags

Just wanted to draw attention to some excellent game planning and execution from last week.

Watching the tape back of the Jags, the first TD of the game by Lynch was brought about by good personnel choice, and great blocking.

The Bills came out Single Back (Lynch) - TE Left (Royal) - Twins Right/weak (Z=Evans H=Reed) - X Left (Hardy)

This looks like a definite passing situation on first down, so the Jags are in a Nickel D, with the free safety shading the weak side. Jags DL is up on its toes for the rush, in an even (maybe over) front.

On the snap, Peters and Dockery release to the second level leaving Royal matched up with the end, whom he cuts (badly - he missed). Fowler and Walker turn their guys to the outside giving them the edge to rush upfield. The man over Peters expects to be blocked, so as he bursts upfield, he stumbles and is decked by Butler who is coming down the line on the quick trap block. Lynch runs directly through the trap hole and follows Peters and Dockery to space. It's a one wiggle move past the FS and a score.

What I like about this play is it is a creative use of personnel and a back to basics play combined with superb execution and a little flair to get the score.

More of this from Buffalo this year (and crucially this high level of line play) and we'll be playoff bound for sure.

Just wanted to draw attention to some excellent game planning and execution from last week.

Watching the tape back of the Jags, the first TD of the game by Lynch was brought about by good personnel choice, and great blocking.

The Bills came out Single Back (Lynch) - TE Left (Royal) - Twins Right/weak (Z=Evans H=Reed) - X Left (Hardy)

This looks like a definite passing situation on first down, so the Jags are in a Nickel D, with the free safety shading the weak side. Jags DL is up on its toes for the rush, in an even (maybe over) front.

On the snap, Peters and Dockery release to the second level leaving Royal matched up with the end, whom he cuts (badly - he missed). Fowler and Walker turn their guys to the outside giving them the edge to rush upfield. The man over Peters expects to be blocked, so as he bursts upfield, he stumbles and is decked by Butler who is coming down the line on the quick trap block. Lynch runs directly through the trap hole and follows Peters and Dockery to space. It's a one wiggle move past the FS and a score.

What I like about this play is it is a creative use of personnel and a back to basics play combined with superb execution and a little flair to get the score.

More of this from Buffalo this year (and crucially this high level of line play) and we'll be playoff bound for sure.

Nice analysis Jaws in -er Nick in England!

I think we found our post game writer! :flirt:

Nice Nick!

I remember long fruitless discussions with posters (JDG, being one) about Fairchid's predictable offense and playcalling. There were some who couldn't seem to understand that being unpredictable doesn't mean throwing the ball all over the place. As you state , this is a basic play, but you wouldn't expect it based on the personnel and formation. With Fairchild, the D pretty much knew what play was going to be run before the snap.

More film review - a small point on the creativity of Schonert:

One play 3 and a half minutes into the 2nd quarter, we end up with 4 WRs on the field but - Parrish wide left, Reed and Hardy bunch right and Lee Evans lines up at fullback. Evans motions to make a standard trips bunch and we run a pitch right. I would never have picked that play from that formation!

I wondered (today actually) if this was how Lynch would be geting most of his scores this season. It seems obvious that in EVERY first down situation inside the 15, we'd line up wide, spreading the field- and I think more often than not it's gonna go to Lynch straight up the gut for the score.

We've all seen the guy run, if he gets 4 yards of realestate past the LOS without being touched by a defender, GOOD LUCK stopping him for those extra 5-10 yards he needs for a score!

That sounds like the formation that Kelly/Reich used to run the counter. And most other plays...