Ben Troupe Released

I lost a lot of respect when he visited Buffalo dressed like a thug. When you are coming in for a visit with a team looking for a job and with this organization and the way they preach character I would have thought he would have worn a nice suite and presented himself nicely. If I can recall he wore a hat to the visit aswell. Everyone else who visited wore something nice.......

Honestly, I wouldnt be shocked if Buffalo made a pass at him for just that.....

I think, for an interview, you should dress appropriately for the job you are seeking. Dressing in jeans for a job at a bank, is absurd. So is wearing a 3-piece suit to an interview for a stock position. Design candidates, in media almost never wear suits for interviews, nor do other "creative" types.

What is the proper dress for an NFL free agent interview? Dunno, to tell the truth. I certainly don't think a classic business suit should be expected. But, I didn't see what he wore, so maybe it was inappropriate, even by NFL player standards. But, style of dress does not = character, and I think the Bills FO is smart enough to know that.

I admit. I wanted him here.. :rolleyes:

So far, our tight end play hasn't been its' perenial negative. It appears Royal truely committed to stepping up. :flirt:

The TE use and roster choices have been weird to watch from the outside for several years.

The Bills had seemed to have given up on getting more classic TE production which really has not been here sent Metzelaars (what was that idiots name who was an all catch and no block TE who despite having a rep as a God-squad evangelical refused to renegotiate his contract for the same money over time and instead forced the Bills to live up to the contract and take a bigger salary cap hit than we wanted- we went elsewhere the next year) and instead for several years seemed to try to make an H-Back approach work.

Royal historically had been a good blocking but marginal catch player whom we definitely needed as the OL needed help. However, this year it seemed like with the Turk as OC, the OL had finallt come into its own enough that we need not rely on a blocking TE. The team gave hints of going to more of a spread O which would have us get Parrish onto the field more in a 3 WR base set.

In this configuration the TE would be the odd man out with the FB filling the blocking role on blitz pick-ups when needed at at the POA on run plays. The receiving ability of the FB would be a bonus also which if strategically employed could equal the production of blocking first TE.

However, several sticks in the mud seemed to be reality which derailed these plans:

1. Lynch really is a more dangerous runner as a lone back. He is tougher even than advertised so he can do the slogging and heavy lifting following a lead blocking FB, but his feet and vision are good enough and his ability to keep moving forward even if he is hit in the backfield made the FB focus a minus as much as a plus. Perhaps better to go one back rather than TE-less to get Parrish on the field. Even worse, the journeymen FBs we got in here proved to be fairly worthless as safety valve receivers.

2. Royal had shown some signs of receiving talent in his time here (a couple of nice toe-tapping catches) but his lapses in concentration from time to time made him little of a receiving threat. However, he really has begun to show some production as a safety valve who can catch 5+ a game and has made a number of critical TD catches as well. Even with less of a blocking demand we use him, Royal has played well enough we cannot sit him.

Still the Turk seems to not want to commit to the TE position as a key part of our base O as the Bills have yet to develop a solid back-up who is both injury free and consistently productive at TE. Pray for Royal's health and continued productivity since if he gets hurt neither Schouman nor Fine has shown the productivity or ability to be injury free to make them good plan Bs.

It will be interesting to see what plan B is it turns out the Bills have been quite productive using the RB as a receiving weapon as our O goes more toward a WCO or spread approach to operating.

We shall see.

Pyrite, are you talking about Riemersma?

anywho,

Troupe either a. won the Mackey award his last year in college or b. was a finalist for the Mackey award... it's weird his college production never amounted to NFL production.

Pyrite, are you talking about Riemersma?

anywho,

Troupe either a. won the Mackey award his last year in college or b. was a finalist for the Mackey award... it's weird his college production never amounted to NFL production.

Yes, I think he means Rear-smegma. At one time, he was productive. Near the end (with the Bills), he couldn't catch a cold.

Yes, I think he means Rear-smegma. At one time, he was productive. Near the end (with the Bills), he couldn't catch a cold.

Yep. Its amazing to me how once a Bill ceases to be a Bill I tend to forget what their stupid names were. Rearsmegma was the guy and his reaction to FO requests always struck me as quite odd. It appears not abnormal at the time for players to renegotiate deals to reduce cap hit as the method used actually at least delivered the same amount of money to the player over time and the renegotiation helped the team be better.

Remerspoop had every "right" to refuse to renegotiate the deal at the time, but it seemed far from the right thing to do as the balloon payment was clearly more than a TE was worth to most teams. However, Remersidiot had the Bills over a barrel since the TE is grea to have when the player is Gonzalez great but hard to replace as it is so unusual to find a player who can do well at both blocking and receiving and the super receivers are so rare to justify a big hit.

By forcing the Bills to meet their word (my sense was that the contract was designed to in fact force the Bills to renegotiate a deal which paid more to Remerswhiner, the problem was he always showed possibilities of being a big downfield threat but never turned these threats into consistent reality.

he never did and i was happy when he left.

I think, for an interview, you should dress appropriately for the job you are seeking. Dressing in jeans for a job at a bank, is absurd. So is wearing a 3-piece suit to an interview for a stock position. Design candidates, in media almost never wear suits for interviews, nor do other "creative" types.

What is the proper dress for an NFL free agent interview? Dunno, to tell the truth. I certainly don't think a classic business suit should be expected. But, I didn't see what he wore, so maybe it was inappropriate, even by NFL player standards. But, style of dress does not = character, and I think the Bills FO is smart enough to know that.

Very well put, I couldn't agree more (style of dress does not = character) If he has the talent, combo that with the shock of his NFL career hanging by a thread and he could be a force at a postion that can use some help! :unsure:

On a somewhat related note, there was a good story around the Olympics about how Michael Redd drove from Milwaukee to Chicago after practice to interview with Jerry Colangelo for a spot on Team USA basketball:

For a scheduled meeting with USA Basketball chief Jerry Colangelo last winter, he drove from Milwaukee to Chicago after a Bucks practice and then jumped into a rest room to change into a suit for the interview. "I wanted to dress the part," Redd says.

I'd say that it never hurts to overdress a little, rather than under-dress.

Very well put, I couldn't agree more (style of dress does not = character) If he has the talent, combo that with the shock of his NFL career hanging by a thread and he could be a force at a postion that can use some help! :unsure:

Clothes clearly do not equal character. If so then simply hire the best dressed person and watch how many incompetent people you get who dress the part but do not have the skills to get the job done.

However, a willingness to go out of one's way to fit the ethos of a group you hope to partner with can tell a lot. If a player roles into a meeting wearing non-traditional attire and give off a vibe or send a message that they are gonna act how they want to act regardless of what their potential partners may think, it can easily be the smart thing to do to not set a partnership with this self-centered person.

If Troupe wore non-traditional attire but also presented messages that he cared more about our common interest in winning than he did about what style he wore this is one thing (an a good thing from my perspective- Walter Payton did not dress like I liked to dress and won a Soul Train award for his dancing but he was always a gamer and a good individual and I do not care how he dressed).

However, there are individuals who are clearly legends in their own mind and they chose non-traditional dress as part of their sending a message that they were going to do what they wanted because they were self-centered.

Troupe's attire meant less than what he was trying to say when he chose to wear whatever he wore. If he gave off a vibe that he was a Me-first or Me-only kind of guy then regardless of whether he wore a pimp hat because he was a baby momma guy or if he wore a traditional suit but was faking sincerity, the Bills were right to stay away.

Clothes clearly do not equal character. If so then simply hire the best dressed person and watch how many incompetent people you get who dress the part but do not have the skills to get the job done.

However, a willingness to go out of one's way to fit the ethos of a group you hope to partner with can tell a lot. If a player roles into a meeting wearing non-traditional attire and give off a vibe or send a message that they are gonna act how they want to act regardless of what their potential partners may think, it can easily be the smart thing to do to not set a partnership with this self-centered person.

If Troupe wore non-traditional attire but also presented messages that he cared more about our common interest in winning than he did about what style he wore this is one thing (an a good thing from my perspective- Walter Payton did not dress like I liked to dress and won a Soul Train award for his dancing but he was always a gamer and a good individual and I do not care how he dressed).

However, there are individuals who are clearly legends in their own mind and they chose non-traditional dress as part of their sending a message that they were going to do what they wanted because they were self-centered.

Troupe's attire meant less than what he was trying to say when he chose to wear whatever he wore. If he gave off a vibe that he was a Me-first or Me-only kind of guy then regardless of whether he wore a pimp hat because he was a baby momma guy or if he wore a traditional suit but was faking sincerity, the Bills were right to stay away.

Completely agree. I have no idea what he wore and how he acted, though. I was just reacting to the "suit" comment.