That Onside Kick

slyng1

Surprised to see us get caught like that. That and the blocked kick last week by the Seahawks were surprise whoops by ST.

Glad to see them early in the season - you know Bobby April won't allow that stuff in November & December.

It's not a matter of Bobby April allowing stuff like that to happen. The fact is that it is a funny-shaped ball. You can have all of your good-hands people waiting in anticipation of the on-sides kick and STILL not recover it if the ball takes a wild bounce or two. Sure, Buffalo got caught not even looking for it and for that I would agree with you, but my point is that even if they were looking for it, there's just no guarantee that they'd come up with it. Better odds perhaps, but no guarantee for sure.

It's not a matter of Bobby April allowing stuff like that to happen. The fact is that it is a funny-shaped ball. You can have all of your good-hands people waiting in anticipation of the on-sides kick and STILL not recover it if the ball takes a wild bounce or two. Sure, Buffalo got caught not even looking for it and for that I would agree with you, but my point is that even if they were looking for it, there's just no guarantee that they'd come up with it. Better odds perhaps, but no guarantee for sure.

According to an article, I just read (while the board seemed to be down), April WAS expecting the OS kick. I'll hunt down the link tomorrow, if nobody else has it.

It looked legal to me until I saw Channel 7's field level reply on their half-hour show at 11:30pm last night. It seemed quite obvious to me that the kicker hit the ball with his leg BEFORE it traveled 10 yards - as he was trying to "guard" it while running next to the ball. The exact play - but with the correct call - happened during a bills game years ago. I believe it was Steve Christie who touched it while running next to the kick. The ball touching his leg made it move just enough to knock it out of line while heading toward the Bills player (Corto, I believe)

If there were multiple angle cameras being used on that play, there may have been an option for a Juron replay. This is why the replay is biased against "bigger" games during the week. The networks use more cameras for the "national" games (i.e. Sunday night, Monday night, etc.) so...

Still - it seems odd to be outplayed on Special Teams... and still win. The Roscoe punt return (which essentially iced the game) at the end made up for it a bit.

It looked legal to me until I saw Channel 7's field level reply on their half-hour show at 11:30pm last night. It seemed quite obvious to me that the kicker hit the ball with his leg BEFORE it traveled 10 yards - as he was trying to "guard" it while running next to the ball. The exact play - but with the correct call - happened during a bills game years ago. I believe it was Steve Christie who touched it while running next to the kick. The ball touching his leg made it move just enough to knock it out of line while heading toward the Bills player (Corto, I believe)

If there were multiple angle cameras being used on that play, there may have been an option for a Juron replay. This is why the replay is biased against "bigger" games during the week. The networks use more cameras for the "national" games (i.e. Sunday night, Monday night, etc.) so...

Still - it seems odd to be outplayed on Special Teams... and still win. The Roscoe punt return (which essentially iced the game) at the end made up for it a bit.

Interesting Marko. I didn't notice that, and they certainly didn't focus on that on the replay (Tasker...go figure). I hope I can find a good replay to check it out.

As you say, though, there were very few cameras on this game (compared to big games). It may have helped out on the Hardy catch, though, as they had no definitive camera angle on Hardy's toe.