McCain Holds to Fiction, Not Principles

blzrul

As someone who formerly had a great reverence for this man, this illustrates why I stopped supporting him. The hypocrisy far surpasses what drove me nuts about some of Hillary's claims. McCain's actions do nothing to improve the political climate and discourse in this country. He can talk all he wants about the high road but he's just a liar. I'm sorry for his legacy that he's come to this.

Oh and by the way - the lipstick on a pig thing? It seems like McCain made that same statement months ago about Hillary's healthcare plans. Where's the outrage? Hypocrite.

My favorite part:

"McCain's persistence in pushing dubious claims is all the more notable because many political insiders consider him one of the greatest living victims of underhanded campaigning.

Locked in a tight race with George W. Bush for the Republican presidential nomination in 2000, McCain was rocked in South Carolina by a whisper campaign claiming he had fathered an illegitimate African-American child and was mentally unstable.

Shaken by the experience, McCain denounced less-than-truthful campaigning. He even apologized to journalists for his own reluctance to criticize the flying of the Confederate flag at South Carolina's state Capitol in a bid for votes.

When the so-called Swift Boat Veterans for Truth attacked the military record of Democrat and fellow Navy officer John Kerry in 2004, McCain called the ads "dishonest and dishonorable."

Now, top aides to McCain include Steve Schmidt, who has close ties to Karl Rove, Bush's premier political adviser in 2000."

As someone who formerly had a great reverence for this man, this illustrates why I stopped supporting him. The hypocrisy far surpasses what drove me nuts about some of Hillary's claims. McCain's actions do nothing to improve the political climate and discourse in this country. He can talk all he wants about the high road but he's just a liar. I'm sorry for his legacy that he's come to this.

Oh and by the way - the lipstick on a pig thing? It seems like McCain made that same statement months ago about Hillary's healthcare plans. Where's the outrage? Hypocrite.

My favorite part:

"McCain's persistence in pushing dubious claims is all the more notable because many political insiders consider him one of the greatest living victims of underhanded campaigning.

Locked in a tight race with George W. Bush for the Republican presidential nomination in 2000, McCain was rocked in South Carolina by a whisper campaign claiming he had fathered an illegitimate African-American child and was mentally unstable.

Shaken by the experience, McCain denounced less-than-truthful campaigning. He even apologized to journalists for his own reluctance to criticize the flying of the Confederate flag at South Carolina's state Capitol in a bid for votes.

When the so-called Swift Boat Veterans for Truth attacked the military record of Democrat and fellow Navy officer John Kerry in 2004, McCain called the ads "dishonest and dishonorable."

Now, top aides to McCain include Steve Schmidt, who has close ties to Karl Rove, Bush's premier political adviser in 2000."

It's easy to take the high road and disparage these tactics when you aren't campaigning or are a one-sided victim of it. However, they've been shown to work, regardless of their despicable nature. When you're this close, sometimes you have to make compromises in order to be victorious. I guess what I'm saying is- I don't agree with it, but I understand it.

It's easy to take the high road and disparage these tactics when you aren't campaigning or are a one-sided victim of it. However, they've been shown to work, regardless of their despicable nature. When you're this close, sometimes you have to make compromises in order to be victorious. I guess what I'm saying is- I don't agree with it, but I understand it.

Yes. It's just a very sad commentary that this kind of thing is so effective. It makes quite a statement about the people who fall for it.

But as I always say, we don't get the leadership we need. We get the leadership we deserve. In the long run, whoever is in office impacts me personally very little. Ironically, it's the people lower down the food chain, who fall for these tactics and vote in favor of the candidates employing them, who are victimized.

Yes. It's just a very sad commentary that this kind of thing is so effective. It makes quite a statement about the people who fall for it.

But as I always say, we don't get the leadership we need. We get the leadership we deserve. In the long run, whoever is in office impacts me personally very little. Ironically, it's the people lower down the food chain, who fall for these tactics and vote in favor of the candidates employing them, who are victimized.

Dude. Humans are pretty much all equal on the food chain. If you make lots of money it does not make you better than other people. I make more money in a month than 94.2% of the population will see in a lifetime. And when I say see, I don't mean earn, I mean see. That includes when they're watching a movie and there is a Brinks truck robbery. Anyway, I am NOT higher up on the food chain than most humans. Belittling a group of people based on their income is not something I would support.

My favorite part:

Wow! Some real "fair and balanced" coming from the Post Intelligencer there . . .

Dude. Humans are pretty much all equal on the food chain. If you make lots of money it does not make you better than other people. I make more money in a month than 94.2% of the population will see in a lifetime. And when I say see, I don't mean earn, I mean see. That includes when they're watching a movie and there is a Brinks truck robbery. Anyway, I am NOT higher up on the food chain than most humans. Belittling a group of people based on their income is not something I would support.

Who said anything about being "better" than anyone else? The fact is that the have-nots HURT MORE THAN THE HAVES and it is very SAD that they continue to FALL FOR POLITICAL RHETORIC AND LIES than tends to FOSTER THE VERY CIRCUMSTANCES THAT VICTIMIZE THEM.

"Lower down the food chain" is just an expression. I guess I should have said "middle class", would that have made a difference? I guess if you want to pick nits, it does. Somewhere in the forest there is indeed a tree ... just gotta open your eyes.

I am not a dude by the way.

Who said anything about being "better" than anyone else? The fact is that the have-nots HURT MORE THAN THE HAVES and it is very SAD that they continue to FALL FOR POLITICAL RHETORIC AND LIES than tends to FOSTER THE VERY CIRCUMSTANCES THAT VICTIMIZE THEM.

"Lower down the food chain" is just an expression. I guess I should have said "middle class", would that have made a difference? I guess if you want to pick nits, it does. Somewhere in the forest there is indeed a tree ... just gotta open your eyes.

Hippies and liberals are often accused of thinking they are better than other people. Saying you are "higher on the food chain" does not eliminate this perception. Why don't you just call anyone who is not you a "knuckle dragger"?

And how are you not a dude with a name like "blzrul"?

Palin finally admitted the truth on the Bridge. Interestingly the interview aired on a friday, when no one was watching, I'd imagine and her next interview will be with Hannity, lol

Sarah Palin on 'Bridge to Nowhere':

CHARLES GIBSON: You have said continually, since he chose you as his vice-presidential nominee, that I said to Congress, thanks but no thanks. If we're going to build that bridge, we'll build it ourselves.

SARAH PALIN: Right.

CHARLES GIBSON: But it's now pretty clearly documented. You supported that bridge before you opposed it. You were wearing a t-shirt in the 2006 campaign, showed your support for the bridge to nowhere.

SARAH PALIN: I was wearing a t-shirt with the zip code of the community that was asking for that bridge. Not all the people in that community even were asking for a $400 million or $300 million bridge.

CHARLES GIBSON: But you turned against it after Congress had basically pulled the plug on it; after it became apparent that the state was going to have to pay for it, not the Congress; and after it became a national embarrassment to the state of Alaska. So do you want to revise and extend your remarks.

SARAH PALIN: It has always been an embarrassment that abuse of the ear form -- earmark process has been accepted in Congress. And that's what John McCain has fought. And that's what I joined him in fighting. It's been an embarrassment, not just Alaska's projects. But McCain gives example after example after example. I mean, every state has their embarrassment.

CHARLES GIBSON: But you were for it before you were against it. You were solidly for it for quite some period of time...

SARAH PALIN: I was...

CHARLES GIBSON: ... until Congress pulled the plug.

SARAH PALIN: I was for infrastructure being built in the state. And it's not inappropriate for a mayor or for a governor to request and to work with their Congress and their congressmen, their congresswomen, to plug into the federal budget along with every other state a share of the federal budget for infrastructure.

CHARLES GIBSON: Right.

SARAH PALIN: What I supported was the link between a community and its airport. And we have found that link now.

Sarah Palin on Congressional Spending:

GIBSON: The state of Alaska, under OMB figures in 2008, got $155 million in earmarks for a population of 670,000. That's $231 per person in Alaska. The state of Illinois, Obama's state, got $22 per person. You got ten times per person as much. How does that square with your reforms?

PALIN: We have drastically, drastically reduced our earmark request since I came into office.

GIBSON: But you still have multiple of any other state.

PALIN: We sure are -- and this is what -- you go out and you ask any Alaskan this. This is what I've been telling Alaskans for these years that I've been in office, is no more.

GIBSON: Governor, this year, requested $3.2 million for researching the genetics of harbor seals, money to study the mating habits of crabs. Isn't that exactly the kind of thing that John McCain is objecting to?

PALIN: Those requests, through our research divisions and fish and game and our wildlife departments and our universities, those research requests did come through that system, but wanting it to be in the light of day, not behind closed doors, with lobbyists making deals with Congress to stick things in there under the public radar. That's the abuse that we're going to stop. That's what John McCain has promised over and over for these years and that's what I'm joining him, also, saying, you're right, the abuse of earmarks, it's un-American, it's undemocratic, and it's not going to be accepted in a McCain-Palin administration. Earmark abuse will stop.

http://www.salon.com/politics/war_room/

Dude,

When are you going to post an article about your boy Obama? I used to respect the Messiah and considered voting for him (ha!), until he stared with his dirty politicing...

I am laughing my azz off at you lefties convulsing like someone having an epileptic seizure because you see the election slipping away. It's truly comical. :devil:

But keep up the good work... :unsure:

Dude,

When are you going to post an article about your boy Obama? I used to respect the Messiah and considered voting for him (ha!), until he stared with his dirty politicing...

I am laughing my azz off at you lefties convulsing like someone having an epileptic seizure because you see the election slipping away. It's truly comical. :devil:

It's slipping away? I see this as a tough patch, but I still think Obama will win. McCain had a pretty rough few days here, telling more lies than he can juggle and they all fell on the floor.

Anyways, who will be more upset at President McCain after a few years of his administrion, Conservatives or Liberals? I bet you guys will hate him. I think it will be funny to see him sign a Global Warming bill pased by the Democratic Congress :P

Dude,

It's not possible for you to "see" on anyone's behalf. Your mind is too narrow and you have tunnel vision. You have no idea what I think. In fact no-one would EVER accuse you of putting yourself out to try to understand what other people think, or why.

However you are definitely easy to amuse. Flashbacks perhaps.

Saw the interview last night.

Nevermind that she didn't answer the questions regarding her state going after earmarks at her behest. Nevermind the question of how we are to believe someone who says that her administration would cut out earmarks (or, rather, the "closed-door" process of earmarks) when she's been among the most well-fed at the trough.

PALIN: We sure are -- and this is what -- you go out and you ask any Alaskan this. This is what I've been telling Alaskans for these years that I've been in office, is no more.

:unsure: It took her two false starts before uttering that absolute atrocity of a sentence. This is even after giving leeway for the oft spoken-to-written awkward translation.

Like Gary Condit breathing a sigh of relief on 9/11/2001, I'm sure the Repubs are glad she doesn't have to face the Russert Primary.

Another day, another whopper by McCain:

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2008/09/defe...ain_FCS_091208/

Has Sen. John McCain renounced his longtime antagonism toward the Army’s Future Combat Systems?

On Sept. 8, the Republican presidential candidate told a rally crowd in Lee’s Summit, Mo., about an Obama video message to a liberal advocacy group.

“He promised them he would, quote, ‘slow our development of Future Combat Systems,’” McCain said, according to wire reports. “This is not a time to slow our development of Future Combat Systems.”

Flashback to July, however, when his campaign furnished McCain’s economic plan to The Washington Post, declaring that “there are lots of procurements — Airborne Laser, [C-17] Globemaster, Future Combat System [sic] — that should be ended and the entire Pentagon budget should be scrubbed.”

In fact, McCain has long criticized the over-budget, behind-schedule FCS program. In 2005, he blasted the Army for allowing the program to balloon to $161 billion, and forced the service to rewrite the main FCS contract.

So where does McCain really stand? Some bloggers and analysts have suggested that he used the term “future combat systems” generically. Obama’s campaign maintains their candidate was speaking specifically about FCS, in which case McCain may be twisting his rival’s words.

Loren Thompson of the Lexington Institute called it deceitful.

“McCain’s interpretation of Obama’s position is typical of the way in which the Republicans have twisted Democratic views in order to undercut their opponents and at the same time obscure the past positions of the Republicans,” Thompson said. “Future Combat Systems is the centerpiece of Army modernization. However, McCain has been more critical of it than anyone else in the chamber. Obama has been much more detailed and thoughtful in his comments about future military investment than McCain’s very superficial statements.”

Dude,

I am laughing my azz off at you lefties convulsing like someone having an epileptic seizure because you see the election slipping away. It's truly comical. :rolleyes:

But keep up the good work... :flirt:

I don't get the part where you say "until he [obama] started with his dirty politicing..."

I thought it was the other way around? As a supporter of Obama, I was getting annoyed that the campaign wasn't punching back at McCain's constant string of negative ads. And hell, if Rove can say that McCain has gone to far... that's saying something.

I don't get the part where you say "until he [obama] started with his dirty politicing..."

I thought it was the other way around? As a supporter of Obama, I was getting annoyed that the campaign wasn't punching back at McCain's constant string of negative ads. And hell, if Rove can say that McCain has gone to far... that's saying something.

Ah, you're annoyed Obama isn't more of a hypocrite.