"Grizzly Man"

MelissaInPhilly

Has anyone been watching "Grizzly Man" on the Animal Planet channel? It's the story of Timothy Treadwell, who filmed his adventures with grizzly bears in Alaska until he and his girlfriend were killed and devoured by one and possibly two of them in 2003, I believe. The footage is amazing, but i think Treadwell had some serious issues. He had been warned repeatedly by park rangers to leave the bears alone, but he didn't listen. I guess he felt that was the bears' protector, but isn't that what the park rangers are there for? I'm a city girl, but I know enough to leave wild animals alone.

Treadwell died a horrible death, and I'm not saying he deserved it, but he should have listened to the park rangers. I don't know why people feel that they can "tame" wild animals. They are unpredictable and can't be trusted. I understand that when that Australian guy (I'm sorry, I forget his name right now) was killed by a stingray, some people went around killing stingrays in revenge, which was crazy.

As an animal lover, I also hate when people keep wild animals (especially big cats) as pets. They're cute and cuddly when they're little, but when they start to get too hard to handle, these same owners abandon these animals and even try to have them euthanized. There was a show on television about people "adopting" capuchin monkeys and keeping them as pets, treating them like children. Monkeys make lousy pets. They have sharp canine teeth and are highly excitable, and when excited, they may urinate and defecate. They also like to masturbate alot (nothing wrong with that, but who wants to see it)? Once again, many of these monkey 'children' end up in sanctuaries.

Treadwell's tale reminds me of the story of Christopher Candless, who died of starvation after going to "live off the land" in Alaska. He's the subject of the book and movie "Into the Wild." I haven't read the book or seen the movie, but it sounds to me like Candless was a disturbed young man. I wouldn't dream of going into the Alaskan bush and trying to survive on my own. I would last maybe one day. Once again, he died a horrible death, but people romanticize him. Both stories should serve as cautionary tales.

P.S.: Has anyone read "Into the Wild" or seen the movie? People seem to either love the book/movie or hate them.

As an animal lover, I also hate when people keep wild animals (especially big cats) as pets. They're cute and cuddly when they're little, but when they start to get too hard to handle, these same owners abandon these animals and even try to have them euthanized.

A couple years ago we saw a presentation by these folks:

http://www.missionwolf.com/

Really amazing to see these huge wovles right up close in your face and great of these people to have created the refuge for them once they've been domesticed. The stories were pretty sad -- many of them were 'pets' of idiots, used in movies, from bankrupt zoos, etc.

Treadwell's tale reminds me of the story of Christopher Candless, who died of starvation after going to "live off the land" in Alaska. He's the subject of the book and movie "Into the Wild." I haven't read the book or seen the movie, but it sounds to me like Candless was a disturbed young man. I wouldn't dream of going into the Alaskan bush and trying to survive on my own. I would last maybe one day. Once again, he died a horrible death, but people romanticize him. Both stories should serve as cautionary tales.

I saw the movie, it was outstanding. Definitely worth the rental.

Nature 2, man 0.

They are highly excitable, and when excited, they may urinate and defecate. They also like to masturbate a lot (nothing wrong with that, but who wants to see it)?

Anyone really still want to argue that we aren't descended from a common ancestor?

A couple years ago we saw a presentation by these folks:

http://www.missionwolf.com/

Really amazing to see these huge wovles right up close in your face and great of these people to have created the refuge for them once they've been domesticed. The stories were pretty sad -- many of them were 'pets' of idiots, used in movies, from bankrupt zoos, etc.

I saw the movie, it was outstanding. Definitely worth the rental.

Not too long ago a strange-looking "dog' was wandering by the (Delaware) riverfront and when animal control officers were called, it turned out to be a wolf! Then the next day the idiot "owner" showed up to claim the wolf, which had been sent to a sanctuary. Not smart.

Wolves are beautiful, but once again, they're not pets! Is is true that they howl at the moon?

I haven't seen the grizzly guy except in clips, bragging about how he's an expert. Stupidhead.

Candless was mentally ill. That's the inescapable conclusion about him. He was extremely bright but a few of the wires were crossed. His, to me, is a sad story. Sure, there's an easy lesson that if you go into any vast wilderness, you should be prepared or you could die. But the harder thing to accept is that he was just a young kid who was not well and could have been saved a life of pain with professional care and the right psychopharmaceuticals.

No link. The pics were e-mailed to me at work. Because of the content, I deleted them.

Sorry.

Reminds me of the time I found the Holy Grail but decided mankind would be better off without access to its awesome powers. So I tossed it into the middle of the Indian Ocean on my way home in a row boat! :cry:

Has anyone been watching "Grizzly Man" on the Animal Planet channel? It's the story of Timothy Treadwell, who filmed his adventures with grizzly bears in Alaska until he and his girlfriend were killed and devoured by one and possibly two of them in 2003, I believe. The footage is amazing, but i think Treadwell had some serious issues. He had been warned repeatedly by park rangers to leave the bears alone, but he didn't listen. I guess he felt that was the bears' protector, but isn't that what the park rangers are there for? I'm a city girl, but I know enough to leave wild animals alone.

Treadwell died a horrible death, and I'm not saying he deserved it, but he should have listened to the park rangers. I don't know why people feel that they can "tame" wild animals. They are unpredictable and can't be trusted. I understand that when that Australian guy (I'm sorry, I forget his name right now) was killed by a stingray, some people went around killing stingrays in revenge, which was crazy.

As an animal lover, I also hate when people keep wild animals (especially big cats) as pets. They're cute and cuddly when they're little, but when they start to get too hard to handle, these same owners abandon these animals and even try to have them euthanized. There was a show on television about people "adopting" capuchin monkeys and keeping them as pets, treating them like children. Monkeys make lousy pets. They have sharp canine teeth and are highly excitable, and when excited, they may urinate and defecate. They also like to masturbate alot (nothing wrong with that, but who wants to see it)? Once again, many of these monkey 'children' end up in sanctuaries.

P.S.: Has anyone read "Into the Wild" or seen the movie? People seem to either love the book/movie or hate them.

Saw the movie (I think). He mistakenly ate the wrong vegetation and starved to death because of the effects (if I have the right movie and the movie was on track with the book). He was stranded because of a flood, otherwise he may have lived to 99. There is a big difference between nuzzling up to Grizzly Bears and living off the land.

I'm from philly as well, the way you phrase "a horrible death" is a little odd in the second example.

--Being riddled with bullets

--Jumping from building and landing on concrete

--Being eaten by a large women

--Plane crash in Everglades

These constitute horrible deaths; not dying of hunger &/or being frozen to death. I guess the real difference is I do not fear death.

Saw the movie (I think). He mistakenly ate the wrong vegetation and starved to death because of the effects (if I have the right movie and the movie was on track with the book). He was stranded because of a flood, otherwise he may have lived to 99. There is a big difference between nuzzling up to Grizzly Bears and living off the land.

Yeah, that's the dumbass. The best part is there was a hand-operated tram that crossed the river 1/4 of a mile away. :thumbsup:

I know if I'm trapped by a river, I'm walking up and down it at least 5 miles in both directions to see if there is any way across.

Yeah, that's the dumbass. The best part is there was a hand-operated tram that crossed the river 1/4 of a mile away. :thumbsup:

I know if I'm trapped by a river, I'm walking up and down it at least 5 miles in both directions to see if there is any way across.

No way, 1/4 mile away??!! Oh man, I am speechless. I'm with you on hiking my a$$ out of there, though. I'd rather kick the bucket from hiking myself to death than die just sitting there.