UB vs. PITT

PTS

The telecast is live at www.ESPN360.com. It's free this year for college football and it's NOT blacked out in WNY!

So far so good, end of the 1st and UB is up 6-0. It should be 10-0 ... the kicker had a field goal and extra point blocked, or should I say he kicked it into his own center.

The Big East Announcers are completely shocked and surprised at how good Buffalo has become especially the offense which is REALLY fun to watch. The defense is doing great as well but an iffy personal foul on 3rd down is keeping PITT's current drive going.

I know it's still early but in the grand scheme of these, winning this game would put them into the driver's seat for their first ever bowl appearance.

Lost a tough one this week but from what I can tell it looks like they hung tough with Pitt. I'm interested in hearing opinions on the game from someone other than the prick AP writer who apparently thought Pitt should have blown UB off the field in the first quarter.

The UB fan board crashed. I assume due to high demand, something they rarely had to consider before.

Here's my take: This game was important to define what UB seems to be capable of. UB's offense can hang with a BCS team. UB's defense did okay but is slightly overmatched. UB has poor special teams, probably due to a lack of depth. That can relate directly to recruiting. You can only coach so far, then talent takes you as far as you can go.

This was a totally winable game. In fact UB was smoking Pitt the first quarter: 10:54 time of pos. Over 100 yds offense. They should have been winning 17-0 instead of 6-0. But they had a FG blocked, a PAT blocked, missed a chance for an easy TD on a fumble return, and got hit with a questionable personal foul penalty when it looked like they had Pitt on the ropes. Pitt went on to score a TD and from that point on they played like everyone expected them to. FYI, Drew Willy's interception-free streak ended tonight at 284 attempts w/o an INT.

Still UB hung with them till the 4th. At least they covered the 13pt spread. Based on what I saw UB will lose to Missouri and probably the power teams in the MAC. But I think 7-5 and a bowl bid is quite possible. A MAC title is a long shot.

Going forward the defense has to improve some. They are young so there is a learning curve. They'll be fine later. The offense will score points. Special teams has to not lose them games. I will make this prediction: RB James Starks will play in the NFL.

Temple at UB Stadium next week. There's no home Bills game so I hope some of you will consider catching the game next Sat at 12n. The game will be on WNGS/RTN11 Buffalo, and on ESPN gamplan and 360. Radio stream at WECK1230.com

PTR