Sarah Palin Background Check

BillsNYC

I think we can now put to rest the rumor that she was not vetted properly per article below just released. John McCain knew about the pregnancy and everything else (I'm sure including anything else that pops up) and still chose her. Its up to you whether you agree with his decision or not on choosing her, but he clearly made a choice knowing all the facts.

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2008/09/02/po...ry4408656.shtml

In my opinion, having a 17 year old who is pregnant, a husband who had a DUI when he was 22, and her having a fishing fine doesn't disqualify her for the VP spot. The McCain camp obviously feels the Troopergate situation is going to turn out in her favor. With that, I feel its a little risky but don't know the facts, and none of us do other than the McCain camp.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we can now put to rest the rumor that she was not vetted properly per article below just released. John McCain knew about the pregnancy and everything else (I'm sure including anything else that pops up) and still chose her. Its up to you whether you agree with his decision or not on choosing her, but he clearly made a choice knowing all the facts.

In my opinion, having a 17 year old who is pregnant, a husband who had a DUI when he was 22, and her having a fishing fine doesn't disqualify her for the VP spot. The McCain camp obviously feels the Troopergate situation is going to turn out in her favor. With that, I feel its a little risky but don't know the facts, and none of us do other than the McCain camp.

:D

A fishing fine! The citizens of Alaska must surely want to impeach her!

Maybe, maybe not. It was certainly rushed.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/am...ble-917013.html

Maybe, maybe not. It was certainly rushed.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/am...ble-917013.html

Did you even read the article in my original post which was just released, which is now being verified even by the liberal AP? It refutes some of the accusations in your article, which puts the rest of it in question.

"A senior official close to the John McCain’s vice presidential vetting tells CBS News....."

Really, though, what else are they going to say? No way in hell would they ever admit that this was a panic pick made in desperation on what other reports are saying was last Thursday. No one up in Alaska was interviewed. No records were looked at by anyone in the McCain campaign. They've got a team dispatched up there now to manage damage control, but what does that say about the pick?

What I find truly fascinating about this is that she's it no matter what happens now. She's an anchor tied to an albatross wearing cement shoes, all hanging from McCain's neck. If he boots her from the campaign he pisses off the Fundies. If he replaces her with another woman, then it just shows he was pandering from the get-go. If he replaces her with a guy he risks alienating all the women he was trying to get with the Palin pick. He really is screwed.

The thing he never calculated on was that, sure, she's thrust his campaign into the spotlight, but it's also put him on the constant defensive because she's a terrible pick. It's his Convention week, yet he can't attack his opponent because he's too busy defending the pick he didn't vet properly. That's not a "maverick." That's a guy who miscalculated once again. But that's his modus operandi. That's a guy I don't want running the country.

Looks like Palin can't even run a car wash correctly!

I love this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sooo. She sent herself a letter ostracizing herself for running a business without paying the requisite governmental fees etc?

Well, I was wrong about her! Even though it's only ONE failed business - instead of a string of them - with a failed car wash that she couldn't bail herself out of, she's right up there with Dumbya, whose dad and all his oil buddy friends ultimately couldn't save all Junior's businesses from going under.

Attagirl Sarah! You do the women of America proud.

She has more executive experience than Obama, McCain and Biden put together

Since when do people who run governments suddenly know what they're doing? And how are you defining "executive"?

"Operations" experience is a LOT more important than executive. Executives can give the orders but its the operational groups who either make it work, or push back on the executive to get a grip. Governors don't have absolute power. They have responsibility to work with the various operational groups to meet certain requirements.

Most governorships these days are quite weak. There are a few things, like executin and ribbon cuttin, that are theirs alone, but more often the power is distributed throughout the staff and the various other functional agencies.

Since when do people who run governments suddenly know what they're doing? And how are you defining "executive"?

"Operations" experience is a LOT more important than executive. Executives can give the orders but its the operational groups who either make it work, or push back on the executive to get a grip. Governors don't have absolute power. They have responsibility to work with the various operational groups to meet certain requirements.

Most governorships these days are quite weak. There are a few things, like executin and ribbon cuttin, that are theirs alone, but more often the power is distributed throughout the staff and the various other functional agencies.

she is the most popular governor in America

If she was thoroughly vetted, why would the Republicans send dozens of operatives to Alaska after she was already named? How is it possible that they didn't talk to any members of her family about her. Her family members didnt even know until she had already been decided on. How is it possible that they didn't ask either members of her own party, or the opposition in Alaska, or the media in Alaska anything about her? They didn't talk to one person at her Mayor's office.

I don't think just talking to her, and having her answer a lot of questions herself, then looking at her financial records and tex returns of the last seven years is "throughly vetting her". They said they had the FBI look into her, then the FBI denied and said they didnt.

McCain apparently met her for 15 minutes at a breakfast 6 months ago, and his conversation with her when he decided to select her was five minutes on the phone, and they discussed ANWAR. This came from a Republican, Stephen Hays and other reporters. His aides spoke with her a couple hours on Wednesday, and his lawyer spoke with her a couple hours. McCain, no.

http://www.adn.com/politics/story/513143.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/02/us/polit...amp;_r=1&hp

And with this logic, the Democrats hereby resolve to reject any candidate for higher office with experience.

Next up - candidates with advanced degrees.

Only from a GOP perspective would intelligence be considered a lesser characteristic for office than religious zealotry.

If she was thoroughly vetted, why would the Republicans send dozens of operatives to Alaska after she was already named? How is it possible that they didn't talk to any members of her family about her. Her family members didnt even know until she had already been decided on. How is it possible that they didn't ask either members of her own party, or the opposition in Alaska, or the media in Alaska anything about her? They didn't talk to one person at her Mayor's office.

I don't think just talking to her, and having her answer a lot of questions herself, then looking at her financial records and tex returns of the last seven years is "throughly vetting her". They said they had the FBI look into her, then the FBI denied and said they didnt.

McCain apparently met her for 15 minutes at a breakfast 6 months ago, and his conversation with her when he decided to select her was five minutes on the phone, and they discussed ANWAR. This came from a Republican, Stephen Hays and other reporters. His aides spoke with her a couple hours on Wednesday, and his lawyer spoke with her a couple hours. McCain, no.

http://www.adn.com/politics/story/513143.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/02/us/polit...amp;_r=1&hp

another thing that has come out is that her local newspaper said, when a democratic investigator asked for copies of their archives, that it was the first time anyone had requested them.

The McCain campaign has since said that because the archives were only available on microfiche, requesting them would have blown their secrecy requirements. Microfiche in the 21st century? maybe.

So, you ignore a basic investigative process because it might show you were interested in her? They couldn't hire a private investigator or a lawyer to do this?