cut-back running plays

UB2SF

As the game went along versus the Steelers, we saw more and more cut-back running plays from the Bills. At first, I thought it was just Wright's running style (glide with the flow and then burst North and South), but then Omon started doing it too. In hindsight, it seems to me that the cut-backs were designed that way, a la the basic running-game style of the Broncos, Chiefs, Rams, etc.

I haven't rewatched the game to verify the hunch, but I hope that's the case. The Bills have been far too unimaginative in their running-game play-calling for years now, and my major beef is the absence of cut-back running plays. Back in the day, cut-back plays were the bread and butter of OJ and Thurman (please pardon my use of "cut" and "OJ" in the same sentence), creating a nice compliment the usual dives, traps, counters, and sweeps. Marshawn and Freddy are both perfectly suited to cut-back running because of their suddenness and balance, so I hope we see more of this in 2008.

With the hints we're starting to see about Turk's offense, I'm starting to think that Lynch and Jackson will combine for 3,500+ all-purpose yards this year. :thumbsup:

Still wondering, though, how much of what we saw against the Steelers was just the running style of Wright and Omon -- because I don't recall seeing many (or any) cut-back plays called for Lynch or Jackson. I'd love to know if anyone has rewatched the game or noticed the first time through.

It was also obvious as the game went on the Bills had no interest in testing Hamdan or Baker at QB. It was all Wright vs. Oman. It's hard to say who is winning that battle. Wright has the dropsies but Omon has not been able to show any of the moves he did in college. I guess Xavier is finding NFL competition, even 3rd and 4th stringers, are much tougher than DII players.

PTR

Still wondering, though, how much of what we saw against the Steelers was just the running style of Wright and Omon -- because I don't recall seeing many (or any) cut-back plays called for Lynch or Jackson. I'd love to know if anyone has rewatched the game or noticed the first time through.

I think it was by design. I recalled several runs from Lynch and Jackson where they cut through some pretty open cut-back lanes.

I wonder if this was the "game planning" that the Steelers were crying about--taking advantage of an over-pursuing run defense.