Gator T.E.

dib

Is being evicted from his apartment because he hasnt paid his 1000+$/month rent.

In other news, lets continue the debate that college atheletes should be paid.

I definitely think the athletes should get reimbursed for the boatloads of cash they bring the universities.

However, I went to college from 1997-2001, and my rent was $260/month for a nearly-condemned apartment. It was a 7-bedroom house I shared with 6 other friends, and our TOTAL rent was $1800 per month.

I don't feel bad for the kid if he just HAD to move into the pimped out, penthouse pad as a 20-year old and now suddenly realizes he can't afford it.

Apartments close to campus here run about that much. Its still idiotic though to live there - I live in a 3/3 apt that is a 15 minute bus ride away (when its not rush hour), and I pay $409/mo.

HUH???!!! That's after a split right? You have roommates right? If not I'm moving to whatever area you're in because that's insane.

Is being evicted from his apartment because he hasnt paid his 1000+$/month rent.

In other news, lets continue the debate that college atheletes should be paid.

What about the other students who have to pay their tuition, and work and maintain good grades to stay in school?

This kid is being payed, he is being payed by getting a free college education to a good school based on him being able to play a game that if he plays it well enough at school, will be making more then enough money to live comfortable for most of his life.

If he can't afford his $1,000/month rent, maybe he should quit the team and get a full time job to pay for his apartment, and then he can see what it is like for everyone else at school who have to pay tuition and succeed in their classes and not live off of the fact that they are a gifted athlete.

What about the other students who have to pay their tuition, and work and maintain good grades to stay in school?

This kid is being payed, he is being payed by getting a free college education to a good school based on him being able to play a game that if he plays it well enough at school, will be making more then enough money to live comfortable for most of his life.

If he can't afford his $1,000/month rent, maybe he should quit the team and get a full time job to pay for his apartment, and then he can see what it is like for everyone else at school who have to pay tuition and succeed in their classes and not live off of the fact that they are a gifted athlete.

What about the facilities, dorm rooms, and libraries that other students benefit from, because of athletics? What about national recognition for the school?

"Getting paid" by getting a free education is not a valid point. A great chemistry student might also get a full ride, but he's not spending 5+ hours a day at practice, and traveling all over the country representing his university. He can use that extra time to get a job and pay for his apartment. A Division I athlete, who logs thousands of hours per year IN ADDITION to their schoolwork, has very little free time outside of school, sports, and sleep.

I realize he's getting a free education. He's also bringing in HUGE revenue for the school, which allows the other students to enjoy first-rate facilities. It's likely he couldn't afford college without a full ride. But now he's supposed to quit the football team to pay for his apartment?

I agree, the kid seems like a clown for even considering a $1000/month apartment in the first place...But when you see CBS give the NCAA $6 BILLION (yes, with a B) to televise the Final Four tournament, it makes you realize that maybe $1500/month to these athletes is not too ridiculous.

He has a full time job. A job that he's required to show up to and put extra hours in if he wants to stay in school. Playing football while going to school isn't all sunshine and roses.

Personally, I think players should receive an average wage for the time they put in on the team. Nothing ridiculous, just basic wages that can be found from campus jobs. That would at least give them some money to live on while they pull in those millions for the schools.

But none of that excuses the kid from not paying his rent....but really, that's just the stupidity of youth.

Check me if I'm wrong here Sandy, but doesn't the basic athletic scholarship include room & board? Now you can argue that if he's living in an off-campus apartment the NCAA should allow for a housing stipend, but they don't. So, the kid should pay the rent or face getting evicted.

On a related note... these kids aren't allowed to get jobs, right? But isn't there a way around this? I went to a co-op school (Drexel) and I HAD to get a job related to my field to graduate. Other big schools have the same program (Northeastern, Cincinnati, RIT, etc.). My brother-in-law had a full scholarship for soccer and still was required to get a co-op job in his field. I wonder why schools don't do this and set the kids up with cush jobs working for boosters?

Oh I know, the NCAA must maintain the illusion that these are student athletes. :)

Here's my solution to the problem of these schools using kids to generate revenue without really educating them: Your scholarship is good for 8 years. If you haven't graduated during your eligible time (the first 4 years), you can have up to 4 more years to gain your bachelor's degree. If you have attained your bachelor's in the first 4 years (5 for red-shirts), you get another 4 years to get your master's. It's really the least they can do, right?

HUH???!!! That's after a split right? You have roommates right? If not I'm moving to whatever area you're in because that's insane.

Yeah, that's after the split (we actually have individual leases on our bedrooms, so its billed to us $409 each).

It does include television/internet/etc. though.

What about the facilities, dorm rooms, and libraries that other students benefit from, because of athletics? What about national recognition for the school?

"Getting paid" by getting a free education is not a valid point. A great chemistry student might also get a full ride, but he's not spending 5+ hours a day at practice, and traveling all over the country representing his university. He can use that extra time to get a job and pay for his apartment. A Division I athlete, who logs thousands of hours per year IN ADDITION to their schoolwork, has very little free time outside of school, sports, and sleep.

I realize he's getting a free education. He's also bringing in HUGE revenue for the school, which allows the other students to enjoy first-rate facilities. It's likely he couldn't afford college without a full ride. But now he's supposed to quit the football team to pay for his apartment?

I agree, the kid seems like a clown for even considering a $1000/month apartment in the first place...But when you see CBS give the NCAA $6 BILLION (yes, with a B) to televise the Final Four tournament, it makes you realize that maybe $1500/month to these athletes is not too ridiculous.

It isn't? Last time I checked, it was not cheap to go to a good school, and it wasn't simple and takes alot of work to get a full educational scholarship to a good school based on academics instead of sports. Those students who get the educational scholarships have it just as rough having to study hard to keep their grades up high because if they don't, they can lose their scholarships too. That chemistry student instead could be spending 5+ hours a day working on a report or studying for an exam, and does not get the benefit of being a hero at the school and getting by on being a gifted athlete.

One of the differences is that when that chemistry student leaves school, they will not see a million dollar signing bonus and high 6-7 figure income to become a scientist or a doctor. You also don't typically see that athlete attending chemisrty, or physics, or calculous to get their "degree"

Sorry, I don't feel sorry for these student athletes that get full scholarships to big schools because they don't get paid at a collegiate level because they play a sport that brings in revenue for the school. You are already at an advantage getting your schooling paid for you because you can run fast, catch a ball, hit a ball, or throw a ball really well.

He has a full time job. A job that he's required to show up to and put extra hours in if he wants to stay in school. Playing football while going to school isn't all sunshine and roses.

Personally, I think players should receive an average wage for the time they put in on the team. Nothing ridiculous, just basic wages that can be found from campus jobs. That would at least give them some money to live on while they pull in those millions for the schools.

But none of that excuses the kid from not paying his rent....but really, that's just the stupidity of youth.

They do, its called theirtuition payed in full. Its not like they are their at the school because they want an education and have decided to try out and play for a school team in their free time. The reason they are at the school, with a scholarship paying their tuition is because they are a good athlete and are brought in to play. They get paid by being given a free education to play a sport.

They do, its called theirtuition payed in full. Its not like they are their at the school because they want an education and have decided to try out and play for a school team in their free time. The reason they are at the school, with a scholarship paying their tuition is because they are a good athlete and are brought in to play. They get paid by being given a free education to play a sport.

Not all athletic scholars ships are a complete free ride. You did know that right?

Sorry, I don't feel sorry for these student athletes that get full scholarships to big schools because they don't get paid at a collegiate level because they play a sport that brings in revenue for the school. You are already at an advantage getting your schooling paid for you because you can run fast, catch a ball, hit a ball, or throw a ball really well.

So, doing something which requires a MASSIVE outlay of personal time, that benefits ALL other aspects of the school, INCLUDING academic programs, faculty, non-revenue producing athletics, intramurals, dormitories, food service, new facilities, and on and on...As well as REPRESENTING the school by wearing their name and colors on national televison, earning prestige and spurring interest in the university...Those individuals don't deserve a stipend ON TOP of their academic scholarship? The university presidents and conference commissioners should take that extra dough and put in their own coiffers?

When CBS starts paying $6 Billion to televise the NCAA science competition, then you may have an argument. Until then, give a little back to the student-athletes who are abusing their bodies for the good of their school. There's plenty of money to go around, and nobody is suggesting that these kids should be paid so that they can drive around campus in a Jaguar. Just enough to cover rent and maybe eat at Applebees a couple times a month.

So, doing something which requires a MASSIVE outlay of personal time, that benefits ALL other aspects of the school, INCLUDING academic programs, faculty, non-revenue producing athletics, intramurals, dormitories, food service, new facilities, and on and on...As well as REPRESENTING the school by wearing their name and colors on national televison, earning prestige and spurring interest in the university...Those individuals don't deserve a stipend ON TOP of their academic scholarship? The university presidents and conference commissioners should take that extra dough and put in their own coiffers?

When CBS starts paying $6 Billion to televise the NCAA science competition, then you may have an argument. Until then, give a little back to the student-athletes who are abusing their bodies for the good of their school. There's plenty of money to go around, and nobody is suggesting that these kids should be paid so that they can drive around campus in a Jaguar. Just enough to cover rent and maybe eat at Applebees a couple times a month.

That $6 Billion doesn't just go to one school, its spread around to every school thats part of the NCAA.

And last time I checked, there aren't very many CBS Librarys, or the Dormitories in college, they typically are named after alumni that put up cash to buy the schools those items.

And if you are going to pay them, why should a chemistry student be paid, they put in just as much work studying and in academics, the entire reason there is a school, unless in the US schools are only there to support the sports team, and academics are second to all of it. There stipend is the fact that they get to attend the school without having to pay a tuition like the majority of the other students, just to play in those sports. Student athletes already have more perks then the average student does, to now pay them for playing too, thats over the top.

Sure the chemistry student who has a full scholarship may also not have to pay tuition because they had a full scholarship doesn't mean that they don't work just as hard or harder as someone who received a sports scholarship, just because that person has to spend time at practicing and playing in a game. People are making it sound like these athletes are there getting big degrees while spending the rest of their time playing football or basketball. How many athletes actually leave school with a full degree in something big? That chemistry student has to work just as hard as the athlete to keep their grades up in top top of the class to keep their scholarship, and they don't get that extra help cause they are a star athlete.

First of all he had the choice to live with the athletes in the CVI- or collegiate village Inn. He chose to get his own pad and is now paying the price for it. Do I feel bad? Not in the least. Just like anyone else who takes on any type of financial responsibility he or she has to meet the obligation and honor it.

These guys get a hell of alot more perks for being athletes than you can dream of. they dont pay for food, drinks, and sometimes cars. Yes cars.

And when it all goes to hell they blame everyone else. Seen it a thousand times.