Plumbing question

JoeFerguson

I live in a 60 year old house. The metal slip nut attached to the kitchen sink drain rusted out completely. I went to the hardware store and bought a replacement nut and replacement PVC pipe extension because the old metal extension also rusted through. The rest of the drain plumbing was re-done by a plumber roughly 6 or 7 years ago so it's all PVC. I was thinking this would be a 10 minute job. I cut the pipe extension to size and re-assembled everything. It's LEAKING!

I will try to make a long story short: I have spent the last two nights going through a bevy of washers, slip nuts (metal and PVC), teflon tape, and swear words trying to get this thing to not leak. The next thing I am going to try is to add some pipe dope, which I have not done yet because I didn't think it would be necessary. The thing that I think is the problem is that the male threads on my sink basket (60 years old, original with house) do not seem to be completely compatible with my replacement slip nut (new from hardware store). The diameter is ok, but there isn't enough depth on the nut to accommodate all the thread on the sink basket.

Anyway, I am not necessarily looking for specific help, maybe just troubleshooting tips from other DIYers like me. If I can't figure this out I am going to have to call a plumber, but it seems like such a waste for something that should be a simple job.

This link provides a walkthrough of what I'm trying to do, in case I wasn't clear with my text.

http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/kitchen...nless/drain.htm

I live in a 60 year old house. The metal slip nut attached to the kitchen sink drain rusted out completely. I went to the hardware store and bought a replacement nut and replacement PVC pipe extension because the old metal extension also rusted through. The rest of the drain plumbing was re-done by a plumber roughly 6 or 7 years ago so it's all PVC. I was thinking this would be a 10 minute job. I cut the pipe extension to size and re-assembled everything. It's LEAKING!

I will try to make a long story short: I have spent the last two nights going through a bevy of washers, slip nuts (metal and PVC), teflon tape, and swear words trying to get this thing to not leak. The next thing I am going to try is to add some pipe dope, which I have not done yet because I didn't think it would be necessary. The thing that I think is the problem is that the male threads on my sink basket (60 years old, original with house) do not seem to be completely compatible with my replacement slip nut (new from hardware store). The diameter is ok, but there isn't enough depth on the nut to accommodate all the thread on the sink basket.

Anyway, I am not necessarily looking for specific help, maybe just troubleshooting tips from other DIYers like me. If I can't figure this out I am going to have to call a plumber, but it seems like such a waste for something that should be a simple job.

This link provides a walkthrough of what I'm trying to do, in case I wasn't clear with my text.

http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/kitchen...nless/drain.htm

Replace the sink basket.

They run about 4 bucks and up. After you remove the old one - which might be an effort - clean off the surfaces. Put some clear silicone sealer in the underside of the new basket's lip that seats on the sink basin top surface . The gasket included with the new basket kit gets installed between the bottom surface and the galvanized cup that is tightened by the nut. Smear teflon paste on both sides of that gasket and seat the lower cup. Be sure to use that paste, or teflon tape on the threads before tightening up the nut.

It's usually best to tape/paste the threads first. Then re-install the PVC connections. Take some duct tape and wrap the PVC connections to guard against joint slippage.

A tip about PVC sink plumbing: run the cold water tap when you put boiling water - like draining pasta - down the drain.

EDIT: If your sink is ceramic, use caution with pounding and scraping.

Edited by stuckincincy

Replace the sink basket.

They run about 4 bucks and up. After you remove the old one - which might be an effort - clean off the surfaces. Put some clear silicone sealer in the underside of the new basket's lip that seats on the sink basin top surface . The gasket included with the new basket kit gets installed between the bottom surface and the galvanized cup that is tightened by the nut. Smear teflon paste on both sides of that gasket and seat the lower cup. Be sure to use that paste, or teflon tape on the threads before tightening up the nut.

It's usually best to tape/past the threads first. Then re-install the PVC connections. Take some duct tape and wrap the PVC connections to guard against joint slippage.

A tip about PVC sink plumbing: run the cold water tap when you put boiling water - like draining pasta - down the drain.

You, sir, are one knowledgeable handyman. You always seem to know the answer to home questions. :wallbash:

Replace the sink basket.

It's usually best to tape/paste the threads first. Then re-install the PVC connections. Take some duct tape and wrap the PVC connections to guard against joint slippage.

EDIT: If your sink is ceramic, use caution with pounding and scraping.

Thanks stuck, I knew I could count on you.

There are but 5 themes in movies and literature, endlessly repeated:

- Man against himself.

- Man against other Men.

- Man against Nature.

- Man against God.

- Man for God.

I would add - Man against Plumbing. There is an innate, deeply felt satisfaction in maintaining ones' own pipes. :wallbash: