Browns game and the storm...

I happened to be on my way to downtown Cleveland earlier this evening. I wasn't going to the Browns-Jets game; I had some other business to attend to in town.

I noticed on my drive in on the Shoreway how dark and ominous the sky was getting out over the lake. This was after we had a bright and sunny afternoon, but with storms to the east of Cleveland. Even around 6:30 or so, it was still pretty nice.

It was around 8:00 when, about two miles from Browns Stadium, I looked out over the lake and saw about the brightest lightning strike I've ever seen in my life. I had the Jets broadcast of the game on my Sirius radio...there must have been a delay, because I rolled the window down, heard the thunder, and then heard the thunder on the broadcast about eight seconds later. One of the weirdest things I think I've ever experienced. The Jets broadcaster said that they saw a flash and then commented on the very loud rumble of thunder.

About 45 seconds later, there was another bright flash of lightning, over the lake, but this time closer to Browns Stadium. I'm less than a mile from the Stadium at this point, on the bridge leading to downtown Cleveland. It was at this point that the teams left the field. I got onto Lakeside Avenue, the main thoroughfare nearest Browns Stadium...there were still people walking towards Browns Stadium and the rain is pouring by this point. I rolled my window down and told them of the lightning delay. Fortunately, I was able to finish my business down there quickly, and returned home.

I've noticed one thing over the past couple of years...it seems like we have more weather delays in NFL games than we used to have. I don't know if it's player and fan safety being taken into account or if there are more severe thunderstorms than there used to be. The one that went through downtown Cleveland tonight is one I'll remember for a long time.

I happened to be on my way to downtown Cleveland earlier this evening. I wasn't going to the Browns-Jets game; I had some other business to attend to in town.

I noticed on my drive in on the Shoreway how dark and ominous the sky was getting out over the lake. This was after we had a bright and sunny afternoon, but with storms to the east of Cleveland. Even around 6:30 or so, it was still pretty nice.

It was around 8:00 when, about two miles from Browns Stadium, I looked out over the lake and saw about the brightest lightning strike I've ever seen in my life. I had the Jets broadcast of the game on my Sirius radio...there must have been a delay, because I rolled the window down, heard the thunder, and then heard the thunder on the broadcast about eight seconds later. One of the weirdest things I think I've ever experienced. The Jets broadcaster said that they saw a flash and then commented on the very loud rumble of thunder.

About 45 seconds later, there was another bright flash of lightning, over the lake, but this time closer to Browns Stadium. I'm less than a mile from the Stadium at this point, on the bridge leading to downtown Cleveland. It was at this point that the teams left the field. I got onto Lakeside Avenue, the main thoroughfare nearest Browns Stadium...there were still people walking towards Browns Stadium and the rain is pouring by this point. I rolled my window down and told them of the lightning delay. Fortunately, I was able to finish my business down there quickly, and returned home.

I've noticed one thing over the past couple of years...it seems like we have more weather delays in NFL games than we used to have. I don't know if it's player and fan safety being taken into account or if there are more severe thunderstorms than there used to be. The one that went through downtown Cleveland tonight is one I'll remember for a long time.

That was a nasty little storm that came off the lake...we're about 15 miles south of the stadium and it was the first time in a long time that a storm knocked our DirecTV signal out and made the power flicker.

Interesting note about the storm and his highness' presence, according to the AP story:

As Favre walked to the Jets locker room, it was reminiscent of two previous trips he made to Ohio in 2003. Favre and the Packers had their appearance cut short in the Hall of Fame game in Canton by torrential rains and lightning. Nine days later, they arrived in Cleveland minutes before the massive power outage that crippled the northeast and Canada for several days. Favre went 7-for-10 the next night in a preseason game against the Browns.

Interestingly enough, I was at the Browns-Packers preseason game in 2003. My friend's brother has club seats. A real nice way to watch a preseason game.

BTW, did anyone see that Jets player (A.J. Schabel...sp?) that was carted off the field in the fourth quarter of the game last night? It happened on a kickoff return and was eerily similar to what happened to Kevin Everett.

Schabel gave the "thumbs up" sign to the crowd...got a standing ovation as they wheeled the cart off the field. He seemed to be OK, but I haven't heard any updates as of this morning.

I was out looking at houses after work and just looked out to the north and saw the darkest clouds I had ever seen over the next town, we finished looking at a house, came out, got into my truck to drive to the next one, and it just started pouring!

Cleveland isn't in Canada! :D