Say This Along With Me Now...........................

H2o

CHARGERS THINKING TEXAS?

Posted by Michael David Smith on August 1, 2008, 9:06 a.m.

A story on the San Diego Chargers’ official web site notes that Texas Governor Rick Perry was the special guest of Chargers President Dean Spanos at training camp practice on Wednesday morning.

Was this just a matter of Perry stopping by a training camp while on vacation? Or, as Christy Hoppe of the Dallas Morning News writes, could Perry be selling San Antonio as a place for the Chargers to move?

San Antonio has a stadium in place already, a stadium that has hosted regular-season NFL games when the Saints had to relocate after Hurricane Katrina. The Chargers, meanwhile, want to find a nicer home than Qualcomm Stadium but haven’t been able to work a deal for a new stadium in the area.

We’re not saying a Chargers move to San Antonio is close to happening, but we do think Perry and Spanos were talking about more than just whether Perry should draft LaDainian Tomlinson in the U.S. governors’ fantasy football league.

This seems a little far fetched I know, but stranger things have happened. I don't think anyone is really immune to having teams up and leave now days. Especially if the ownership feels they're not being provided with everything they need to rake in the dough they feel they should.

I'm actually not that surprised if a move to San Antonio happens, I was discussing this with a friend of mine the other day.

San Antonio has been courting an NFL team for years, and they are willing to build a new stadium. In the meantime, as they pointed out, a team can play in the Alamodome while that gets done.

Tagliabue mentioned that San Antonio was on the short list for an NFL squad after the support that they poured out for the Saints.

SA has the 28th-largest metropolitan area in the US, and over the past 10 years has been in the top 5 for city growth. Not too long from now, they are opening up another huge medical training complex bringing 30k more jobs to the area.

The downside of San Antonio is the media market - there really aren't that many suburbs, which drops them all the way to the 37th largest DMA in the US. However, they aren't far behind places like Kansas City (31) and Cincinnati (33), and are ahead of others like Jacksonville (49), Buffalo (50), New Orleans (53), and Green Bay (70).

The chargers have wanted to move for a while now. If the chargers hadnt turned their game around when they drafted Rivers, they would probubly already be gone.

But when the topic of teams moving comes up, the media only wants to look at small market teams who complain about making money, or teams who havent won in a long time.

The really strange to me is that they talked about Texas (which recently got an expansion team) instead of California.

The chargers have wanted to move for a while now. If the chargers hadnt turned their game around when they drafted Rivers, they would probubly already be gone.

But when the topic of teams moving comes up, the media only wants to look at small market teams who complain about making money, or teams who havent won in a long time.

The only thing that is really strange to me is that they mentioned Texas (which recently got an expansion team) instead of California.

Are you serious? When they drafted Rivers? :bag: I don't think so. They were in the SB in 96' when they got blown out by Steve Young and the 49'ers, but fell to a doormat of sorts for a while. Then they drafted LT, Drew Brees, Shawn Merriman, Antonio Cromartie, and a host of other players whom have helped them ascend to where they are right now. Not Phillip Rivers :thumbsup: He had one decent stretch of football at the end of last year, but that didn't prove him as the "Saviour" of the Chargers franchise. Their rise started before the Giants drafted Rivers in '04 and traded him to San Diego.

I lived in San Antonio for 3 years. It is not an ideal NFL town in the sense that while there are lots of people, there's not as much corporate or personal wealth as the city's stats might indicate.

The stadium is not NFL caliber and would be temporary only.

Also, that is Cowboys country and Jerry Jones would have a thing or two to say about another franchise infringing on his market area.

I'm actually not that surprised if a move to San Antonio happens, I was discussing this with a friend of mine the other day.

San Antonio has been courting an NFL team for years, and they are willing to build a new stadium. In the meantime, as they pointed out, a team can play in the Alamodome while that gets done.

Tagliabue mentioned that San Antonio was on the short list for an NFL squad after the support that they poured out for the Saints.

SA has the 28th-largest metropolitan area in the US, and over the past 10 years has been in the top 5 for city growth. Not too long from now, they are opening up another huge medical training complex bringing 30k more jobs to the area.

The downside of San Antonio is the media market - there really aren't that many suburbs, which drops them all the way to the 37th largest DMA in the US. However, they aren't far behind places like Kansas City (31) and Cincinnati (33), and are ahead of others like Jacksonville (49), Buffalo (50), New Orleans (53), and Green Bay (70).

Don't forget, San Antonio also offers all the sh*t you can kick for free ya'll :unsure:

I lived in San Antonio for 3 years. It is not an ideal NFL town in the sense that while there are lots of people, there's not as much corporate or personal wealth as the city's stats might indicate.

The stadium is not NFL caliber and would be temporary only.

Also, that is Cowboys country and Jerry Jones would have a thing or two to say about another franchise infringing on his market area.

Loved the Riverwalk, but was seriously unimpressed with both the Alamodome and some of the silly tailgating restrictions in the lots surrounding it when we were out there for the Saints game. I agree, a new stadium would be required.