Kemp and Cuomo's interests to buy an NFL team?

Anyone know about Kemp AND Cuomo's interest?

On Kemp and Cuomo's interests to buy:

I'm aware they have a special fund that's created for investments in to NFL and other sports teams. We have a very strong policy that we want a principal owner that speaks for the team, speaks to the community but also is a representative on the league level. They're aware of those policies if they want to own an NFL team, that those opportunities exist, but it's very important for us to have a principal owner like Mr. Wilson that will not only represent the team and the community, but also participate in league level matters.

On if he's heard from Kemp or Cuomo:

I've talked to them about their concept many times. We have others that have had very similar concepts and that were interested in ownership throughout the league.

Here's more about the venture:

http://www.buffalonews.com/145/story/400912.html

Unfortunately...

But buying the Buffalo Bills is not an option. The group is open to investments in most sports, but the National Football League is unique among professional leagues in forbidding publicly traded corporations from owning its teams.

That means that Bills fans can’t count on Kemp’s company to keep the Bills in Buffalo if owner Ralph Wilson or his heirs should decide to sell.

“We would love to buy the Bills. However, the NFL doesn’t permit corporate ownership,” Murstein said by e-mail. “I think one day they will change their rules but not in the short-term.”

Last I had heard, Kemp, Cuomo and Hank Aaron were heading a group that was one of the three finalists in the contest to own the Chicago Cubs. Mark Cuban was another, and somebody else (can't remember who) the third group. If the leauge doesn't allow the type of ownership group that the Kemp/Cuomo people represent, but the feeling is that it will be allowed in the future, why can't the Bills be the first in that new trend?

Can the NFL really keep up that policy forever? It seems to me like the value of NFL franchises has risen much faster than the pool of possible owners. Its already at the point where being a billionaire does not mean you could really afford to buy a team outright. At some point I would expect the current owners to realize that their franchises would be much more valuable if corporate entities (who have much more money than individuals) were allowed to purchase them.

Can the NFL really keep up that policy forever? It seems to me like the value of NFL franchises has risen much faster than the pool of possible owners. Its already at the point where being a billionaire does not mean you could really afford to buy a team outright. At some point I would expect the current owners to realize that their franchises would be much more valuable if corporate entities (who have much more money than individuals) were allowed to purchase them.

Good point.

Also, I hate to say it but if Schumer has any say or influence from a political standpoint (NFL's anti-trust exemption) - this rule might change quite quickly.

You'd have to think Russert was involved with this group... sad he's gone.

The privately-held NFL gleefully accepts (and extorts) public money for their houses of business. They are not unique there.

Reversing Mr. Spock...

"The needs of the few outweigh the needs of the many". :P