Again...what's the deal in Toronto?

I made this post weeks ago. I even wrote Allan Wilson of the BN to get his take. Now the BN is reporting that 11,000 tickets for the Bills Toronto series are left unsold. That's with only weeks to go before the Pittsburgh game.

Obviously Mr. Rogers overestimated Toronto fans stomach for prices that are several times the NFL average. How is it going to look on TV with the sidelines seats empty? (The way overpriced "premium seats" are the ones not selling.) What is the NFL going to make of this? This story says the games are expected to sell out. Based on what? Are people suddenly going to rush out and pay $500 a seat when they haven't done so until now?

Or is Rogers going to forced to cut his prices? And if he does, will he give the fans who bought expensive seats the chance to upgrade? They are soft-peddling it but I think this has the potential of being a real cluster---k.

PTR

I made this post weeks ago. I even wrote Allan Wilson of the BN to get his take. Now the BN is reporting that 11,000 tickets for the Bills Toronto series are left unsold. That's with only weeks to go before the Pittsburgh game.

Obviously Mr. Rogers overestimated Toronto fans stomach for prices that are several times the NFL average. How is it going to look on TV with the sidelines seats empty? (The way overpriced "premium seats" are the ones not selling.) What is the NFL going to make of this? This story says the games are expected to sell out. Based on what? Are people suddenly going to rush out and pay $500 a seat when they haven't done so until now?

Or is Rogers going to forced to cut his prices? And if he does, will he give the fans who bought expensive seats the chance to upgrade? They are soft-peddling it but I think this has the potential of being a real cluster---k.

PTR

My guess is Rogers has some corporations lined up to buy the remaining seats if worse comes to worse.

The key point on this is that the Miami regular season game is also not sold out yet. If that game were in Orchard Park - it would be completely sold out RIGHT NOW - with all that money in the Bills bank account earning interest.

I realize that the team is making more money from the lump sum payment they are getting from Rogers, but as a long time season ticket holder - watching this happen truly suks... especially when I had a beer with an old friend (who moved to Washington 5 years ago) last night, and had to tolerate the "Toronto Bills" nonsense for at least an hour.

Oh yeah, viability. I have to remember... it's all about "viability."

What did Wilson have to say?

Allen basically said "don't worry, it will sell out." I think everyone assumed it will, but I'm not convinced without a price reduction. This is a double-edged sword. Even with L.A. and Toronto out of the picture, it doesn't mean the Bills won't be a relocation target. I felt we needed Toronto to be reasonable successful to keep the team in Buffalo, at least most of the time. If Rogers weren't so friggin' greedy and kept tix around $100-$200 he'd have sold them out in a day. Obviously Mr. Rogers has never heard the expression "Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered."

PTR

Allen basically said "don't worry, it will sell out." I think everyone assumed it will, but I'm not convinced without a price reduction. This is a double-edged sword. Even with L.A. and Toronto out of the picture, it doesn't mean the Bills won't be a relocation target. I felt we needed Toronto to be reasonable successful to keep the team in Buffalo, at least most of the time. If Rogers weren't so friggin' greedy and kept tix around $100-$200 he'd have sold them out in a day. Obviously Mr. Rogers has never heard the expression "Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered."

PTR

The Bills need the Toronto Corporations to accept the Bills as a team they want to invest in, they don't need the Toronto fan to keep the Bills in Buffalo.

PTR

My sense is that it is way more complicated than just seeing whether it is a sellout in assessing what impact this has on whether the Bills move to Toronto or not.

It would be simple if both games sold out at the exhorbitant prices they are asking. I think this result actually would likely mean the Bills stay in Buffalo as this would indicate Toronto is so NFL hungry and rich that they would buy anything. In this case given a choice between Toronto money and Buffalo money the NFL past performance is clear. They would choose both and keep the Bills in Buffalo raking in the 52,000+ season tickets and related cash while also bellying up to the huge Toronto market which would have demonstrated that they will pay any amount of money for any stupid NFL product including pre-season exhibition games.

However, the market indicates that there is a ceiling (though a pretty low one as 4/5 of the tickets to a meaningless game at dilly prices have sold). More interesting and potentially more troubling is that the Miami game is not a sellout right off the bat.

Is this because the ticket prices are exhorbitant, because its packaged with a meaningless game, because Miami sucks as a team, or what.

Who knows for sure and my guess is the NFL will test future markets by lowering the price and seeing what happens.

As far as this game, my guess is that Rogers has the bucks to guarantee its a sellout. It probably bodes well that the short area in sales seems to be corporate rather than the market as a whole as an effort like Buffalo's Business Backs the Bills effort which succeeded in selling enough club seats to cinch the current deal can be mounted to reach a sellout. Its only 11,000 tickets and not for a real season ticket package so this effort can be made without the massive publicity indicating this is a tough sale.

I think Wilson is right that it is a virtual certainty that the current unsold tickets sell out. Ultimately the answer is likely going to be more market research before a definitive answer is reached. The current answer is that yes Virginia there is a ceiling, but how high (low) it is and the nature of the cause of that ceiling (price, the NFL really is not that popular, the uncertain economy, something else) will need to be figured out.

I know us impatient Americans want an answer yesterday but the real world does not work that way and more market research needs to be done.

PTR

You can't expect Toronto to get behind an American product. It's not their team. When Calgary played Baltimore in the CFL Grey Cup, the whole crowd was rooting for Calgary. I think the game was in Calgary, but still tons of Canadian Flags. It was a bias against the US. Baltimore won, however.