How will the defense be this year?

Exit_58

Hi, I'm new to the board but an old Bills fan. I was just wondering how you guys think the defense will do this year?

I was happy with the additions they made and hope they do better

Welcome

send that bottle soon . Thanks

Send it to : mead107

Charlton < NY 12019

The D should be one of the best .

With the addition of Mitchell and Pozluzny at LB, I think we will be solid at that position. The secondary should have depth and should be solid as well.

While I know everybody wants to think that Stroud is the cureall at DT, I am not so sure. I think he will be an improvement over Triplett if healthy, and McCargo and Johnson give us two solid DT's as well. Schobel is a very good, but not elite DE, and unless Ellis is a steal, we have little else of consequence at DE.

What will ultimately decide the effectiveness of our defense is how long the offense forces them to be on the field.

With the addition of Mitchell and Pozluzny at LB, I think we will be solid at that position. The secondary should have depth and should be solid as well.

While I know everybody wants to think that Stroud is the cureall at DT, I am not so sure. I think he will be an improvement over Triplett if healthy, and McCargo and Johnson give us two solid DT's as well. Schobel is a very good, but not elite DE, and unless Ellis is a steal, we have little else of consequence at DE.

What will ultimately decide the effectiveness of our defense is how long the offense forces them to be on the field.

dude schobel is an elite DE. He made it to the probowler twice (once as an alternate but played i believe). He doesnt get the most production because he has to play alot of minutes and takes alot of double teams and gets little help from teh rest of the line except maybe mcargo on occasion.

I think Stroud will be a big help if all he does is take double teams on every play and does nothing else. I would still think hes a huge help. And that will hopefully make the rest of our D look better with three what i think are excellent LBs with a lot of very capable depth, and a young but very athletic and what seems intelligent secondary.

But i am every the optimist, so what do i know?

What he said. Although a healthy Stroud is quite a bit more then just "an improvement over Tripplett." Otherwise I agree. As far as Schobel not being an elite de. Depends on the definition of elite. I happen to agree. Only because, I wouldn't rank Schobel as a top 5 defensive end. Top 15 sure. Elite to me though is that no doubt top 5 grouping. He'd be better, if he wasn't surrounded by questionable/unproven dt's, and the fodder that is the defensive end depth opposite him. Hopefully The Ellis comparisions to Daryll Tapp turn out to be true.

What he said. Although a healthy Stroud is quite a bit more then just "an improvement over Tripplett." Otherwise I agree. As far as Schobel not being an elite de. Depends on the definition of elite. I happen to agree. Only because, I wouldn't rank Schobel as a top 5 defensive end. Top 15 sure. Elite to me though is that no doubt top 5 grouping. He'd be better, if he wasn't surrounded by questionable/unproven dt's, and the fodder that is the defensive end depth opposite him. Hopefully The Ellis comparisions to Daryll Tapp turn out to be true.

Last year, Schobel showed he can play the run- but his focus on that seriously cut into his pass rush. Until he proves otherwise, he is a guy that can do one or the other, but not both. You have to stop the run and rush the passer well to be elite. At this stage of his career, I don't see him as improving much, either. He is, by far, the best we have at DE though