MLB trade

I couldn't disagree more. The don't have the prospects to have gotten Sabathia so forget him. Why would you want Harden? He's constantly on the DL. If you're going to trade for a guy you want to be reasonably sure he's going to pitch. Rich Harden is the gamble of all gambles. As for Burnett, he's 5 games over .500 for his career but he's got a big name. He's been terrible this year (4.96 ERA) and would have been a rental because he can opt out after this year. He's also a fan of the DL. He would have been more expensive in terms of prospects (and salary) so why pay a preium for a pitcher just because of his name? Can Burnett occassionally twirl a gem? Sure, but more often than not he's mediocre at best which explains how he's a .500 pitcher.

Blanton is young (27), under contract through 2010, and better than average. I'm aware that Blanton is also a .500 pitcher and has an ERA close to 5 this season. He also doesn't have a history of arm or blister problems like Burnett, he makes about 10 million less than Burnett, he's under team control for for 2 more years, and he was cheaper to acquire. Because he's relatively inexpensive that leaves the Phils with room to maneuver this off-season. Burrell will be a FA and they can either bring him back or use his 12 million plus the 10 additional million they won't be paying Burnett to go get a better left fielder. Frankly I'd love it if the Phils could find a way to convince Colorado to take Burrell, Myers (to close for them), and a prospect or two for Holliday. It won't happen, but I'd like it.

Would I have like Sabathia? Yes, but they didn't have the ammunititon to trade. Gimmie Blanton over Burnett though. I wouldn't touch Harden with a 10 foot pole and I think the Cubs will ultimately pay for that deal when Harden breaks down again.

You are talking as if Blanton, Sabathia, Harden, and Burnett are all equal in pitching. Of course when you put it the way you put it, Blanton sounds better. The fact is he isn't because he's a worse pitcher than all of those you mention. If a team is trying to upgrade for consistency then yeah, maybe Harden or Burnett is too much of a gamble. But, that's not what the Phillies should be trying to do. The point is to get that pitcher that puts them over the top in the division because they have the lineup and players possible to go far into the playoffs, and in my opinion, maybe even the world series. So, you take the gamble, hoping that Harden or someone stays healthy. Because if it works, you win. Blanton doesn't make you win. Blanton could be a solid addition because he stays healthy and eats innings (along with everything else not nailed down). But the point is, he doesn't put you over the top or make you a contender for anything.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are talking as if Blanton, Sabathia, Harden, and Burnett are all equal in pitching. Of course when you put it the way you put it, Blanton sounds better. The fact is he isn't because he's a worse pitcher than all of those you mention. If a team is trying to upgrade for consistency then yeah, maybe Harden or Burnett is too much of a gamble. But, that's not what the Phillies should be trying to do. The point is to get that pitcher that puts them over the top in the division because they have the lineup and players possible to go far into the playoffs, and in my opinion, maybe even the world series. So, you take the gamble, hoping that Harden or someone stays healthy. Because if it works, you win. Blanton doesn't make you win. Blanton could be a solid addition because he stays healthy and eats innings (along with everything else not nailed down). But the point is, he doesn't put you over the top or make you a contender for anything.

But Blanton is an upgrade over who the Phils had in there...Kendrick, Eaton or whoever.

But Blanton is an upgrade over who the Phils had in there...Kendrick, Eaton or whoever.

Maybe slightly, but not the kind of upgrade you'd give 2 of your top 4 prospects up for. There were pitchers available for far less that would eat innings and be an upgrade over Kendrick and Eaton, hell, you'd be an upgrade over those two. If you're going to give up those kinds of players, you might as well do it for a legit pitcher, not Joe Blanton.

Maybe slightly, but not the kind of upgrade you'd give 2 of your top 4 prospects up for. There were pitchers available for far less that would eat innings and be an upgrade over Kendrick and Eaton, hell, you'd be an upgrade over those two. If you're going to give up those kinds of players, you might as well do it for a legit pitcher, not Joe Blanton.
Kendrick's been OK but Eaton has been an absolute disaster and simply getting him out of the rotation is significant improvement. The Phillies simply do not have the depth within the organization (I think at one point recently, every team at every minor league level was in last place) to have gotten Sabathia and probably not Harden. I see Burnett and Blanton as a push so they were wise to take Blanton because he is cheaper, younger, more durable, and cost less in terms of prospects. Regardless of stuff, Burnett is a .500 career pitcher. I'm not saying Blanton is better than that but when you look at who is available and what they have to trade the Blanton deal isn't bad. They gave up an A ball 2nd baseman who is blcoked in the organization by Utley, a AA set-up guy and a throw in. We're not talking about ready to play sure-fire locks to be stars. Who else is available for less than that that's an upgrade at all? The fact that two of those guys were top 10 prospects in the organization is as much an indictment of the Phillies minor league system as a compliment to the players.

The only way the Phillies do anything is if Myers comes back and pitches well. I give that about a 25% chance of happening.

Kendrick's been OK but Eaton has been an absolute disaster and simply getting him out of the rotation is significant improvement. The Phillies simply do not have the depth within the organization (I think at one point recently, every team at every minor league level was in last place) to have gotten Sabathia and probably not Harden. I see Burnett and Blanton as a push so they were wise to take Blanton because he is cheaper, younger, more durable, and cost less in terms of prospects. Regardless of stuff, Burnett is a .500 career pitcher. I'm not saying Blanton is better than that but when you look at who is available and what they have to trade the Blanton deal isn't bad. They gave up an A ball 2nd baseman who is blcoked in the organization by Utley, a AA set-up guy and a throw in. We're not talking about ready to play sure-fire locks to be stars. Who else is available for less than that that's an upgrade at all? The fact that two of those guys were top 10 prospects in the organization is as much an indictment of the Phillies minor league system as a compliment to the players.

The only way the Phillies do anything is if Myers comes back and pitches well. I give that about a 25% chance of happening.

I think you DID have what it takes for Sabathia. If those were the 2nd and 4th best prospects, what about 1st and 3rd, plus you have plenty of good outfielders on the major league level. Personally, I think Werth should be playing every day, and freeing up a spot in the OF for him to do that would have been a good thing.

Here is my beef with the whole situation. I'm a Mets fan, but I have and still do live in Philly. However, I really really like the Phillies team. They stand for everything right about baseball. I'm a Mets fan, but honestly, I don't respect them. I don't want them to win the division -- thats right, I don't want my favorite team to win. They don't deserve to win, the Phillies do. They hustle, they come to play every day, the always run down the line (with the exception of Ryan Howard), effort + heart + talent. The Mets have one of the most talented rosters in all of MLB but they don't seem to give a damn. They couldn't care less about giving their best effort game in and game out. I want the Phillies to win, I love their players and how they play the game.

Now, you guys have been used to losing for the last 15-20 years (before last year), and my frustrations come out over Blanton because I still feel like management is in that mode. This isn't the time to slowly upgrade your team, the cheap route. The route where you get a young, frustrated player, and hope to turn his career around. You actually have the talent and team to compete for the World Series. You're with the big boys now, and if you want to win with the big boys, you've got to spend and take chances like every other team does. Sometimes you get burned, sometimes you win it all.

Point being, this isn't the Phillies teams everyone's used to seeing. This is a special group of guys, they only come along once every so often, and this is the time. This is the time you give up your prospects for that pitcher that could possible get you over the hump. This isn't the last 15 years, where you grab a mediocre pitcher and "hope" he pans out and you win. Those days should have been over, but I see they're not. Even if they beat the Mets to win the division, which is still up in the air with Blanton, they aren't going deep into the playoffs or to the World Series. This team is being wasted by the management.

But those prospects would not even be ranked in some of the better systems. The 2B, sure, he's decent but blocked but Utley. Blanton is a definite upgrade over what was there.

This Phils did not have a Matt LaPorta-type and I have 9/15 in my Harden breakdown pool. Burnett is interesting. He's a stuff guy, which excels in the playoffs. As the deadline gets closer and closer, I can see the Phils pulling the trigger on Burnett, as well. The Jays may end up dropping their price, I think all the Phils would have to do is offer better talent than Tor could get from the draft picks when Burnett walks.

Move Myers to setup Lidge and you have a great playoff rotation of Hamels-Burnett-Blanton-Moyer, with Flash and Myers setting up Lidge. I like my chances there. Burnett would be motivated to score one more big contracta nd probably pitch lights out.

But those prospects would not even be ranked in some of the better systems. The 2B, sure, he's decent but blocked but Utley. Blanton is a definite upgrade over what was there.

This Phils did not have a Matt LaPorta-type and I have 9/15 in my Harden breakdown pool. Burnett is interesting. He's a stuff guy, which excels in the playoffs. As the deadline gets closer and closer, I can see the Phils pulling the trigger on Burnett, as well. The Jays may end up dropping their price, I think all the Phils would have to do is offer better talent than Tor could get from the draft picks when Burnett walks.

Move Myers to setup Lidge and you have a great playoff rotation of Hamels-Burnett-Blanton-Moyer, with Flash and Myers setting up Lidge. I like my chances there. Burnett would be motivated to score one more big contracta nd probably pitch lights out.

You are also forgetting that the Jays have the worst and dumbest GM in the league. he's the guy that just released Frank Thomas for nothing, on a team that was struggling with hitting, and brings in Wilkerson and Mench. Also, his 2 "starting shortstops are now riding the bench wo a utility player can play short since neither SS can hit.

He will probably end up keeping Burnett just to let him walk in the offseason. He is the same guy thet dealt Shoewenweiss and let Lily walk after the both had physical altercations with the coach, and never disaplined the coach for making the confrontations physical

Does it really matter what they would be ranked in another system? The point is they are YOUR top prospects, and now that they are gone, you are left with almost nothing. It doesn't matter how good you think they are compared to the rest of the prospect pool, its all they've got, so to them, they're worth their weight in gold.

Does it really matter what they would be ranked in another system? The point is they are YOUR top prospects, and now that they are gone, you are left with almost nothing. It doesn't matter how good you think they are compared to the rest of the prospect pool, its all they've got, so to them, they're worth their weight in gold.

True, but I was comparing the Phils prospects to the Brewers/Cubs prospects. If I'm a seller, I'll take the best guys, no matter who is giving them.

Interesting trade rumor involving the Phils and COL...

Holliday/Fuentes to Phils?

Personally, I think the Phils need to see if Myers can be a #2 in a playoff rotation. If not, they go get Burnett. If so, then maybe the above is revisited.

Well it does kind of matter when you're wondering if you had the ammo to pull off the deal antoehr team pulled off. If you're the Indians and you're looking at potential deals and team A has 5 blue chip prospects and you can get 2 of them and you compare it to team B who has 0 blue chippers and you can have your pick which deal are you going to take? The point is that Philly's #1 prospect would crack the top 5 in Milwaukee's system so he is less valuable to toher teams. Prospect #1 from team A does not equal prospect #1 from team B so to say that because the Phillies already dealt the (presumably) 2nd and 4th ranked players in their system they had enough to acquire Sabathia is kind of silly if those players were the 15th and 20th best players they had offered to them.

There's been a rumor down here that the Phillies nixed a deal for Holliday and Fuentes that would have included Victorino, Carlos Carrasco, AJ Happ and Ben Marson in part because Fuentes was a rental. I would have done that and pivoted Fuentes to Tampa to replace a couple of the prospects they dealt. I don't believe that Colorado would have taken that and I think the Phils killed it because they want to bring Marson up soon but that deal could have made a big difference.

Well it does kind of matter when you're wondering if you had the ammo to pull off the deal antoehr team pulled off. If you're the Indians and you're looking at potential deals and team A has 5 blue chip prospects and you can get 2 of them and you compare it to team B who has 0 blue chippers and you can have your pick which deal are you going to take? The point is that Philly's #1 prospect would crack the top 5 in Milwaukee's system so he is less valuable to toher teams. Prospect #1 from team A does not equal prospect #1 from team B so to say that because the Phillies already dealt the (presumably) 2nd and 4th ranked players in their system they had enough to acquire Sabathia is kind of silly if those players were the 15th and 20th best players they had offered to them.

Right, to other teams, but I was talking about within the Phillies' management.

There's been a rumor down here that the Phillies nixed a deal for Holliday and Fuentes that would have included Victorino, Carlos Carrasco, AJ Happ and Ben Marson in part because Fuentes was a rental. I would have done that and pivoted Fuentes to Tampa to replace a couple of the prospects they dealt. I don't believe that Colorado would have taken that and I think the Phils killed it because they want to bring Marson up soon but that deal could have made a big difference.

I heard that rumor here too, but it didn't make much sense to me. I don't see why the Phills would put more in the deal for Fuentes since they already have one of the best bullpens in baseball, unless they were planning on going your route and flipping him to another team. But to give up even more for a player you don't need seems crazy. I really don't get why they are willing to give up that deal for Holliday and not for a pitcher like Sabathia. It just blows my mind. They can add any hitter they want, they won't win because their pitching is garbage.

I really don't get why they are willing to give up that deal for Holliday and not for a pitcher like Sabathia. It just blows my mind. They can add any hitter they want, they won't win because their pitching is garbage.

Well, Sabathia would be a rental and would walk in the off-season, you'd at least have Holliday for 2009 as well and if you didn't want to pay him the Phillies could deal him again next year to re-load the system. That seems to be a common thread with Philly, no rentals. Blanton is under team control, they nixed Fuentes because he's a rental, etc. It's smart if they can pull it off because, as I said, at the bare minimum they can move the player next July to re-load if they can't get a deal done.

I'm not sure they don't need Fuentes. Tom Gordon is a mess and he's supposed to handle the 8th inning. he's on the DL and has been fairly brutal this year. That leaves them a little short as it moves everyone else around. it would be nice have another decent late inning arm because they are burning up Romero and I don't trust Madson.

I would like the Holliday move because it would also insulate them from Burrell. Right now he's the only right handed bat of any consequence (even though he sucks). Going into the off-season he can command a king's ransom from the Phils because they have no other legit right handed bats. If they get Holliday they take the upper hand in negotiations because I think Burrell's value is higher to Philly than anyone else. With Holliday in the fold that value drops and the Phils won't have to bid against themselves for Burrell and can get him abck at abetter number, or let him walk entirely and spend the money elsewhere. Right now he makes 12 million which is embarassing.

Well, Sabathia would be a rental and would walk in the off-season, you'd at least have Holliday for 2009 as well and if you didn't want to pay him the Phillies could deal him again next year to re-load the system. That seems to be a common thread with Philly, no rentals. Blanton is under team control, they nixed Fuentes because he's a rental, etc. It's smart if they can pull it off because, as I said, at the bare minimum they can move the player next July to re-load if they can't get a deal done.

I'm not sure they don't need Fuentes. Tom Gordon is a mess and he's supposed to handle the 8th inning. he's on the DL and has been fairly brutal this year. That leaves them a little short as it moves everyone else around. it would be nice have another decent late inning arm because they are burning up Romero and I don't trust Madson.

I would like the Holliday move because it would also insulate them from Burrell. Right now he's the only right handed bat of any consequence (even though he sucks). Going into the off-season he can command a king's ransom from the Phils because they have no other legit right handed bats. If they get Holliday they take the upper hand in negotiations because I think Burrell's value is higher to Philly than anyone else. With Holliday in the fold that value drops and the Phils won't have to bid against themselves for Burrell and can get him abck at abetter number, or let him walk entirely and spend the money elsewhere. Right now he makes 12 million which is embarassing.

See, now I have a problem with this. Burrell does NOT suck. He is a very solid MLB OF, who would bat 5th for every team in the league. He has a good batting eye (.400 OBP every year), good power (30-35 HR), and is not awful defensively. He had that one miserable stretch, a couple of years back, when he could not hit. He has since really turned it around. He does NOT suck, and 12 mil is not a bad salary for his ability.

I think you are worried too much about the hitters. They don't get you anywhere in the playoffs, its all pitching. I really like Romero, even though he probably is getting burned out. I also really like that lefty that comes in to face lefties (I can't think of his name), I think he has a good future. And Burrell does not suck, I see him every time he faces the Mets and he should be in the hall of fame. :blink:

Giving up Carrasco and Co. for a hitter like Holliday is just outrageous to me. With a bad rotation and good lineup, giving up your best pitching prospect (who could come up within the next year and help your rotation) for another hitter makes no sense. I was laughing at the Phillies for Blanton, and if they do this deal for Holliday I won't continue to secretly root for them. Just don't tell my friends and family that I once did, lol.

See, now I have a problem with this. Burrell does NOT suck. He is a very solid MLB OF, who would bat 5th for every team in the league. He has a good batting eye (.400 OBP every year), good power (30-35 HR), and is not awful defensively. He had that one miserable stretch, a couple of years back, when he could not hit. He has since really turned it around. He does NOT suck, and 12 mil is not a bad salary for his ability.

Agreed. Burrell has been the favorite target of Philadelphia for quite some time (and mostly deservedly so). He strikes out a lot, his hard swing leaves him looking goofy on a lot of curve/slider whiffs and his outfield play is subpar. It was easy to hate him because as he seemingly got worse over the years, his contract increased to stupid money (he's actually making closer to 15 mill I'm pretty sure which is a bit overpriced but not for what he's done this year). He hit rock bottom last summer when his average dipped to like .195, but ever since then he has been one of the most consistent hitters on the team.

He is always near the top of league in walks, he is a solid 30-90 guy and he is leading a good hitting heam in OBP, Slugging and OPS. And on top of all that, he has taken the extreme amount of abuse in total stride. When Philly paints you as the target, there are few who can take the heat without snapping. Look at how McNabb whimpers every time he is questioned. Pat puts the blame on himself and he is delivering of late. He and Howard have been the only two batters who have showed up this month while the team has struggled.

The guy deserved a lot of the grief he got, but he has way outgrown it. All the things Burrell was sht on for are the same things Howard has done all year, except way worse. I love Ryan for all that he brings, but the guy is probably the worst 1B in the league and he seems eager to set a new strikeout record every year. Left hand pitchers salivate for the guy and it doesn't look like his is willing to change it anytime soon.

And back to the topic at hand, I know little about Blanton, but he is definitely an upgrade for all the reasons Falstaff mentioned. Expecting the bullpen to keep it up is playing with fire, especially when Eaton makes them work 6.2 innings every game. I don't know why Kendrick seems to be discounted though. He has had a few blowup outings, but he is a very solid pitcher and played great down the stretch last year. I'd trust him in the playoffs over everyone except Hamels and Moyer.

The guy deserved a lot of the grief he got, but he has way outgrown it. All the things Burrell was sht on for are the same things Howard has done all year, except way worse. I love Ryan for all that he brings, but the guy is probably the worst 1B in the league and he seems eager to set a new strikeout record every year. Left hand pitchers salivate for the guy and it doesn't look like his is willing to change it anytime soon.

I, personally, can't stand Howard. It seems like he can do no wrong, and the fans will always love him. Burrell is a much more solid hitter. Howard usually hits his homeruns when they are either winning by 5 runs or losing by 10. He is Daryl Strawberry all over again, except much worse at the plate and in the field. Almost every time he comes to bat in a clutch situation he strikes out. Its amazing how Howard - lovers come out with these numbers that make him appear to be one of the best hitters in the league, but if you watch the games, he is a joke.

And back to the topic at hand, I know little about Blanton, but he is definitely an upgrade for all the reasons Falstaff mentioned. Expecting the bullpen to keep it up is playing with fire, especially when Eaton makes them work 6.2 innings every game. I don't know why Kendrick seems to be discounted though. He has had a few blowup outings, but he is a very solid pitcher and played great down the stretch last year. I'd trust him in the playoffs over everyone except Hamels and Moyer.

I didn't say Blanton wasn't an upgrade, anyone is an upgrade in that rotation. That's not really the point.

All the things Burrell was sht on for are the same things Howard has done all year, except way worse. I love Ryan for all that he brings, but the guy is probably the worst 1B in the league and he seems eager to set a new strikeout record every year. Left hand pitchers salivate for the guy and it doesn't look like his is willing to change it anytime soon.

Howard needs to go back and work with Tony Gwynn, like he did in his MVP year. Gwynn had him balanced on his swing, and Howard was able to rake lefties. Ryan Howard will always have the power numbers, but to be a complete hitter, he needs to get back to the balanced swing that allowed him to hit .300.

I discount the strikeouts, especially if he does the above. A strikeout is just another out.

I didn't say Blanton wasn't an upgrade, anyone is an upgrade in that rotation. That's not really the point.

I'll wait to see what he does. I think he will be significantly more useful than Adam Eaton and will give some rest to a bullpen that is already playing with fire. I understand your point about making the big splash move like the other contenders did, and part of me does wish that we had gone after Sabathia or Harden. But (and I'm probably repeating a lot of what has been said in this thread), I don't know if we had the ammunition to make the move nor would I have wanted to mortgage the future. Baseball teams can rise and fall pretty quickly, but if you have a good core and a few up-and-comers, you will be in the mix always. The Phils aren't the youngest team, but they have a great offensive group, a young ace pitcher and a lights out closer. I'm also very impressed with the minor league pitcher Happ that has come up and done outstanding work in his two appearances (it was rumored he would be part of the Holliday trade).

My point is, when the Phils were clicking earlier this year, they were definitely good enough to win the NL. If they can get back to that, I'd still give them a very decent shot even with the Cubs and Brewers additions. I think Blanton could shore up a major weakness even if he is not a big time player. I'm not excited about the move, but I'm happy with it.

And lastly, I'm also not so convinced that if you were going to do the "we're a contender lets make the big deal for the big player" move that this was the year to do it. Sabathia might be that guy, but I'd be scared of Harden. Sheets will be a FA next year and depending on whether they resign Burrell or get Holliday, they could have some great trade bait in Holliday and/or Howard next year to make a move for a serious pitching talent.

Howard needs to go back and work with Tony Gwynn, like he did in his MVP year. Gwynn had him balanced on his swing, and Howard was able to rake lefties. Ryan Howard will always have the power numbers, but to be a complete hitter, he needs to get back to the balanced swing that allowed him to hit .300.

I discount the strikeouts, especially if he does the above. A strikeout is just another out.

Howard's stance baffles me. It is so open and so far away from the plate. Couple that with his balance issues and it just doesn't seem humanly possible that he could even make contact on outside pitches coming from the left. I could understand being steadfast in not wanting to change, but when you are hitting sub .250 and striking out the way he does...I dunno. I think I'd be open to suggestions.

And about striking out, yes I agree that it's just another out. It's not so much the end result of a strikeout but more that it's a symptom of a bigger problem. I realize that part of the reason is his power game and HR swinging will tend to lead to more Ks, but the way he fans so badly sometimes is terrible. He doesn't even come close to a lot of 3rd strikes.