(ot) Direct TV installation

Mike1975

The last time I had a DTV installer out when I moved, they told me that there is a $75 charge for any line that they have to install with a fish (running a line from the attic down an interior wall). If you are having them install a DVR or multiple lines, grease the installer with a few bucks and ask for an 8 way multiswitch instead of the standard 4, just in case you wish to expand into other rooms down the line. In discussing this with a few friends that have DTV, they all have worked out "deals" with the installer for additional lines installed. Just have some cash around for them and tell them what you would like.

You receive a "free basic installation" - that means cables run from the dish, through one outside wall, and to the receivers. Anything more will cost some money. Fishing through walls is (as stated above) roughly $75, but since all installers are independent contractors, the prices aren't set in stone (and you can pay them in cash to do extra work for you "off the books.").

You're definately going to want to have TWO lines run to EACH ROOM if possible; I don't know if you bought the DirecTV/TiVo combo unit yet, but if you didn't you're going to want it later (trust me) - so get the work done now. It should be easy to get an 8-way multiswitch for free as long as you run 8 lines (which is 4 rooms, 2 lines each).

Keep in mind that some installers are jerks - if you don't get the installer you like, he tries saying you can't get a signal, etc, force the issue. If he still won't help you, call DirecTV, tell them the guy was a jerk/idiot, and they'll send out a different installer and give you some free credits (or free programming). DirecTV is VERY interested in customer satisfaction, so if you're not happy about something tell them and they'll make it right.

If you have any questions, let me know.

CW

To that same point, these installers are mostly contractors so don't be afraid to send the guy home if you don't like him or seems like he does not know what he is doing.

I got completely screwed two years ago when I moved with the free movers package. When the installer came to my new house for the free installation, he said there was no way to install Directv because of my trees. Turns out he was just a lazy SOB who did not feel like working on a difficult install. Two months ago a new company started up in my town and a guy was going door to door looking for business. He installed at my house no problem and I am LOVING having Sunday Ticket again.

To that same point, these installers are mostly contractors so don't be afraid to send the guy home if you don't like him or seems like he does not know what he is doing. 

I got completely screwed two years ago when I moved with the free movers package.  When the installer came to my new house for the free installation, he said there was no way to install Directv because of my trees.  Turns out he was just a lazy SOB who did not feel like working on a difficult install.  Two months ago a new company started up in my town and a guy was going door to door looking for business.  He installed at my house no problem and I am LOVING having Sunday Ticket again.

74238[/snapback]

Yup - just ask our very own Nervous Guy about lazy installers...

CW

My Installer had to go into my attic (which i didnt know existed - i had only lived there 2 weeks at the time), and was up there for a good hour, then he fished the cables BEHIND the living room wall and fished them out so they came out RIGHT behind the TV. He was at my house for a total of 4 hours. Price? $0.00. He didnt charge me a penny. I tried to tip him, and he refused, but I told him I wouldnt be satisfied unless he took at least $30. So, to satisfy the customer, he took $30! :w00t:)

Thanks guys....the other thing I was wondering about was a wireless phone jack.  Is it true that they can just be plugged into a power outlet and serve as a phone line?

74280[/snapback]

I have been using wireless jacks for several years with no problems. One other thing, make sure you are getting the Phase 3 dish (has three LNBs). I think this is the only dish they are installing now, but make sure. Cannot get Hi Def without this dish. And boy the games in high def sare sweet. Too bad the bills record is what it is, dont think too mant more games will be broadcast in high def.

One other thing, did you get the Tivo. If not, rethink that as it is a great piece of equiptment. I have had for several years and just got the new high def tivo this summer. awesome but pricey.