Bye bye Airbus...

Surprise, surprise. There is was in black and white: per the RFP, vendors would not get "extra credit" for exceeding the USAF's requirements. Yet, the USAF committee awarded extra points to EADS (Northrup/Airbus) that result in them winning the contract.

Not - according to GAO. Story.

Now the question becomes whether they have to re-issue the RFP. This should get interesting, particularly since John McCain is pretty much "anti-Boeing" and pro-EADS. I guess the Obama campaign won't make a huge political issue of it, but wingnuts will be quite torn (poor things).

-- Sen. John McCain, who played a key role in exposing a 2003 procurement scandal that scuttled Boeing's previous tanker bid:

"While this is a most disappointing decision, the competition is not over. I am confident the merits of the Northrop Grumman/EADS tanker will be acknowledged. It is important to note that this was a decision based on errors in process, not on the relative merits of the aircraft."

Surprise, surprise. There is was in black and white: per the RFP, vendors would not get "extra credit" for exceeding the USAF's requirements. Yet, the USAF committee awarded extra points to EADS (Northrup/Airbus) that result in them winning the contract.

Not - according to GAO. Story.

Now the question becomes whether they have to re-issue the RFP. This should get interesting, particularly since John McCain is pretty much "anti-Boeing" and pro-EADS. I guess the Obama campaign won't make a huge political issue of it, but wingnuts will be quite torn (poor things).

-- Sen. John McCain, who played a key role in exposing a 2003 procurement scandal that scuttled Boeing's previous tanker bid:

"While this is a most disappointing decision, the competition is not over. I am confident the merits of the Northrop Grumman/EADS tanker will be acknowledged. It is important to note that this was a decision based on errors in process, not on the relative merits of the aircraft."

Uhhhhhh, Deb, that's not McCain's quote.

From your link:

"I've always said that I wanted and would support a product of a review process and would support whatever that review is. I'm still proud of the first time around I saved the taxpayers $6.2 billion in the contract they wanted. ... So, I think it's unfortunate for the taxpayers, but obviously they need to go back and redo the contracting process ... and I hope that this time they will get it right."

-- Sen. John McCain, who played a key role in exposing a 2003 procurement scandal that scuttled Boeing's previous tanker bid.

-- Sen. Jeff Sessions, R-Ala.

The guy from Alabama (where the Northrop/Airbus plant would be built) is the disappointed one.

Boeing's reputation has been hurt by some shady deals in previous years and there are some indications they didn't bring their "A" game with the tanker proposal. This is a huge second chance.

From your link:

The guy from Alabama (where the Northrop/Airbus plant would be built) is the disappointed one.

Boeing's reputation has been hurt by some shady deals in previous years and there are some indications they didn't bring their "A" game with the tanker proposal. This is a huge second chance.

Ahhh well now we're just back to boring. That's what I get for doing this at work, haha. Thanks for setting the record straight.

From your link:

Don't forget to mention the $150k or so in donations from EADS to McCain's campaign, though...

And this is getting ludicrous. The BS competition between EADS and Boeing INFLATED the program cost by about 50% over the original BS lease deal in the interest of "saving" money. So the answer now is...another competition? How much money is the US government going to pour in to this pissing match?

The amazing thing is that Boeing doesn't actually "need" this contract. Business is already booming and there's a lot of work for the foreseeable future.

There's the first 787's to complete and the two 787 derivatives (787-3 and 787-9) to design and the new 747-8 (both cargo and passenger) to design and build and a potential new 777 to compete with Airbus' A350 and the next generation of 737s to think about.

There's the first 787's to complete and the two 787 derivatives (787-3 and 787-9) to design and the new 747-8 (both cargo and passenger) to design and build and a potential new 777 to compete with Airbus' A350 and the next generation of 737s to think about.

Yeah, that's for the 22nd century. What are you guys going to deliver in this one? ;)

And Darlene Dryuin is in jail because the original Boeing contract for $26 billion was found to be too expensive ...

Actually, she's in jail for influence peddling, which is entirely appropriate. People ASSUMED the contract was too expensive because of that...when a brief reading of the contract summary would show that it was a pretty good deal, giving the Air Force an upgrade in capability with decreased operational and maintenance costs (all of which is desperately needed) much sooner than they would otherwise get it through a normal acquisition process (obviously ;)).

And when adding up the cost of this fiasco, don't forget couple billion extra spent over the past few years to maintain the current 50 year old fleet from falling out of the sky, which by now would have started decomissioning if the original lease deal went through. If Boeing's challenge is successful and there's ANOTHER competitive bid process...we could be looking at an easy doubling of the cost of the original "corporate welfare" lease for absolutely no operational benefit.

Actually, she's in jail for influence peddling, which is entirely appropriate. People ASSUMED the contract was too expensive because of that...when a brief reading of the contract summary would show that it was a pretty good deal, giving the Air Force an upgrade in capability with decreased operational and maintenance costs (all of which is desperately needed) much sooner than they would otherwise get it through a normal acquisition process (obviously ;)).

And when adding up the cost of this fiasco, don't forget couple billion extra spent over the past few years to maintain the current 50 year old fleet from falling out of the sky, which by now would have started decomissioning if the original lease deal went through. If Boeing's challenge is successful and there's ANOTHER competitive bid process...we could be looking at an easy doubling of the cost of the original "corporate welfare" lease for absolutely no operational benefit.

That is correct, but they never would have gotten to the influence peddling if someone didn't start screaming about the super-expensive contract. So yes, she hid the Boeing job offer, which was wrong. But, the deal she struck for DoD was a good and fair one, and all she had to do is wait for the job offer after everything was signed (like everyone else at DoD does.) I guess when you have a very ill daughter, you have momentary lapses of judgment.

The amazing thing is that Boeing doesn't actually "need" this contract. Business is already booming and there's a lot of work for the foreseeable future.

Which is why my brother is working 7 days a week, 12 hours a day. He's got 10 people on his team and could use 10 more.

• 1 year later...
Just to review: after scuttling the original lease deal, and forcing through a competetive bid that in being challenged has led to ANOTHER competetive bid, Northrop/Airbus drop out of the tanker competetion.

But hey guys, thanks for making sure we get the same program ten years later at twice the cost. Morons. :thumbsup:

Heh, maybe Drlene will be out of jail by the time the bids are signed and will have her job at Boeing.