Another reason to hate Batimore

Seriously? If you really live here, you should check out the following neighborhoods, all of which are inside the city limits:

-Mount Washington

-Loyola College/College of Notre Dame area

-Cross Keys

-Roland Park

-Guilford

-Homewood area (around the Hopkins undergrad campus)

-Charles Village

-Hampden

-Federal Hill

-Fell's Point

-Canton

Towson isn't in Baltimore city, and if you don't feel safe there, then you probably shouldn't ever leave your house.

You do bring up a good point about how there are actual jobs in Baltimore, which is nice.

I agree that the undergrad campus areas and Mt Washington area nice, but Fell's Point, Canton, and Hampden are dumps. People have to realize that Baltimore is a very large city because the city limits are huge. The county and the city are the same thing. This is why there are some places in Baltimore that are very nice, like Mt Wash. If Buffalo=Erie County, it would be like saying: "there is zero crime in Buffalo, just look at the Amherst area." But the actual "city" part and its surrounding areas are very dangerous. And it is hard to tell the bad parts from the safe parts. You could be in a nice neighborhood, but then walk 2 blocks and find yourself in a very bad neighborhood.

And Towson (which is like an Amherst area) shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as Baltimore. In terms of safety, they are apples and oranges.

I agree that the undergrad campus areas and Mt Washington area nice, but Fell's Point, Canton, and Hampden are dumps. People have to realize that Baltimore is a very large city because the city limits are huge. The county and the city are the same thing. This is why there are some places in Baltimore that are very nice, like Mt Wash. If Buffalo=Erie County, it would be like saying: "there is zero crime in Buffalo, just look at the Amherst area." But the actual "city" part and its surrounding areas are very dangerous. And it is hard to tell the bad parts from the safe parts. You could be in a nice neighborhood, but then walk 2 blocks and find yourself in a very bad neighborhood.

To be fair many large cities ar elike that so if we're just going to include the downtown area Philly is great. Center City has a very low crime rate, beautiful buildings and nice infrastructure. When you include North and West Philly it gets a lot less nice in a hurry.

I'm not saying Balitmore doesn't have nice areas. I'm saying that it's bad areas are comparable to the bad areas of much larger cities in depth of poverty and frequency of violence. When you get to the biggest cities there are even layers of the 'hood. In Buffalo you maybe get to level 3 of hell. In B-More you can get to 5 or 6 which when you talk about other cities of similar size is pretty bad. For example, North Philly is pretty bad, but the South Bronx are worse.

Just my opinions. As as we all know opinions are like a-holes. Everyone has one and they all stink...