[OT] Does anyone here have vitiligo?

SDS

I have a good friend who I suspect has vitiligo (she doesn't know this yet). She is going to have her "spots" checked at the dermatologist next week and I want to prepare a proper response if that is her disagnosis.

Vitiligo affects 1% pf the population and is simply a loss of skin pigmentation. Other than looking "different", there is no other serious health concerns. However, I understand that physchologically it can be devastating to some.

So there is a balancing act between, "hey it sucks, but's not cancer either"....

Just looking for advice.

I have an uncle who has it, and my cousin who is in his 40's is starting to develop it, and is devastated. Where are your friend's spots, and does she think it's cancer? If they're not on her face, it's a little better. And if she thinks it might be cancer, you could definitely play-up the "well it's not cancer" angle. If it's on her face and she didn't think it would be anything permanent, good luck trying to console her since I don't know what to say except to give her a hug.

It is on her shoulder and spread a little across her upper back to her other shoulder. The spots are raisin size now, but who knows how it might spread.

Her general doctor thought it may be a fungus, but I took one one look and thought she had lost pigment in that area. A quick google and low and behold there were pictures of spots that looked exactly like hers.

So, she doesn't think it is cancer, she doesn't know what it may be and I think it may hit her hard. That is why the only thing I can think to say is, "that really sucks" and offer that hug...

doesn't sound like there is many ways to treat it. One article said that skin bleaching is only an option should it cover 70% + of the body...

but, a quick google found this product,

http://store.covermarkusa.com/

and this is a review of it from real people:

http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showrev...ark/Concealers/

don't know if that helps, but since it seems to be damn near "incurable", it might be an option.

bump....

74917[/snapback]

Systemic fungal infection is a possibility, but they are *not* common in the USA. It merits a blood test for same, because several medications (notably steriods like prednisone, which are occasionally Rx'd for skin stuff) can exacerbate the problem. Cardiovascular and metastaic cancer existing conditions also need to be carefully discussed.

If -I hope not - it is a systemic fungus, the curative regimin requires close scrutinity by the physician - the compounds that work on the problem need frequent testing of liver, kidney function etc.